Wiki Posts
Search

1x2 seats in cafe car on NE regional

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM
1x2 seats in cafe car on NE regional

Ive been taking the NE regionals regularly for years., but have never seen these seats. Its a 1x2 arrangement with these maroon seats. Very comfortable. Picture attached

anyone ever have these before?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:59 pm

It is a bit hard to tell without seeing the seat cushion itself, but I believe that these cars were used as premium fare cars on NE corridor trains, prior to the introduction of Acela service and NE Regional service. Passengers in these seats were offered complimentary meals and soft drinks. In addition, they were also used on Metroliner trains, but in this case the entire car was dedicated to premium service, while on the others it was generally half of the car, with the service counter in the middle.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
Originally Posted by stalefish10
Ive been taking the NE regionals regularly for years., but have never seen these seats. Its a 1x2 arrangement with these maroon seats. Very comfortable. Picture attached

anyone ever have these before?

Ex-Metroliner Club Cars. By chance were you on 65, 66, or 67? These can also be found on Amtrak Downeaster, Ethan Allen, Vermonter, and Maple Leaf. Anything else? I find them to be definitely worth the upgrade charge comfort wise.

I'm interested to see if Amtrak touches these cars at all during the Amfleet refresh program.

Last edited by Sicariis; Mar 19, 2018 at 6:51 pm
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Completely random, no way of knowing when the "Car of Choice" is included in the consist. Ironically enough when they get included on regular regional trains they fill them with Coach passengers and direct the BC passengers to the regular business car, which is much worse.

On 66/67/65 it is sold as business class, but even on that train it's not guaranteed. As previously mentioned you can catch them on the state-sponsored corridor trains and are definitely worth the $$.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM
Got these on 179 bos-nyp. Anyone could sit in them. Half the cafe car is the normal tables. The other half were these. Im a big fan. Prob just a fluke equipment change or something
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
I also really like the cupholder seat divider. So if you can't get a seat on the single side when traveling solo, you're space isn't being invaded by your seat mate, and you don't need to have the tray down just to have a drink.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:40 am

Rare but great substitution. When walking on to the platform, the giveaway is that the cafe car won't have the NE Regional branding on the outside.
hi55us likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Spotted this morning on 190 as the cafe car (non-business class). I've seen this on the Vermonter before (as the business class car), but not NE Regional.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:35 pm

They're a regular fixture on Wolverine trains. I don't think I've seen them on a NE Regional before, but I have seen them on a train that uses the NE Corridor (I think it was the Palmetto or the Carolinian).
Old Apr 4, 2018, 1:26 pm

I had the pleasure of encountering these seats in business class on the Vermonter one time going from PHL to WAS. Much nicer than regular Metroliner business class.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
These are common on NEC 65/65/67 (the overnight NEC trains).
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:26 pm

The Cardinal (50/51) uses those cars in Business Class.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:55 am

I was on 65 a few months ago and there was no 2x1 seating in the cafe. Business class car was standard 2x2 (in the new upholstery). Is the consensus that there is no way to figure out when 65/67 will have the 2x1 seating in advance?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by tickets please
I was on 65 a few months ago and there was no 2x1 seating in the cafe. Business class car was standard 2x2 (in the new upholstery). Is the consensus that there is no way to figure out when 65/67 will have the 2x1 seating in advance?
No way, although recently I've been finding the weekend trains are more likely to have the full BC and not the 2/1 seating. (data point: I take 66 every morning PVD-BOS)
Old May 1, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by tickets please
Not that I'm aware of - I was a regular rider of the overnight train NYP-WAS between 2007 and 2011 or so, and never saw it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.