Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Beginning September 12, 2015, two new Amtrak-branded credit cards are available through Bank of America:
  • World MasterCard (20K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; $79 AF, not waived)
  • Platinum MasterCard (12K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; no AF)

Both cards offer the following benefits:
  • Earn 1 AGR point for non-Amtrak purchases
  • Earn a bonus for Amtrak ticket and on-board purchases
    • World MC earns a total of 3 AGR pts/$
    • Platinum MC earns 2 AGR pts/$
  • Receive a 5% points rebate on award redemptions for Amtrak travel
  • No forex fee on purchases outside the US
  • Your AGR points will never expire as long as you hold either card

The World MasterCard offers these additional benefits:
  • Earn 2 AGR pts/$ on non-Amtrak travel purchases
    • Per the T&C, this includes airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, resorts, and steamship/cruise lines. In cases where the merchant of record is not Amtrak, this 2pts/$ category also includes travel agencies, passenger railways, and commuter railways. (The last two were originally excluded, but are included as of 2021 or possibly earlier.)
  • Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year
    • Purchases are credited for the year of the statement on which they are billed. For an account that closes on the 20th of each month, purchases after Dec. 20 will count in the following year.
  • On account opening, receive a single-day pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class lounges
    • Per T&C, "ClubAcela pass valid for bearer and one guest, or bearer's spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21. No same-day ticket required for use."
  • On account opening and at each anniversary renewal, receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade
    • "Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare. Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times. Valid for travel as one (1) one-way or one (1) roundtrip on one reservation per coupon. For roundtrip usage, both directions of travel must be reserved at the same time. Travel blackout dates apply."
      • Blackout dates for 2016: Jan. 2-3; Feb. 12; Feb. 15; Mar. 24-25; Mar. 28; May 27; May 30; Jul. 1; Jul. 4; Sept. 2; Sept. 5; Oct. 10; Nov. 22-23; Nov. 26-28; Dec. 21-24; Dec. 26-30.
      • Blackout dates for 2017: Jan. 1-2; Feb. 17; Feb. 20; Apr. 13-14; Apr. 17; May 26; May 29; Sept. 1; Sept. 4; Oct. 9; Nov. 21-22; Nov. 24-27; [other dates TBD].
      "Regular (full) adult rail fare" excludes Senior/AAA/etc. discount fares. AGR Insider has asserted at one time that "full fare" includes Saver & other unrestricted fares, but two separate FTer reports indicate that Saver fares are in fact excluded.
    • "One-Class Upgrade Coupon valid for one (1) space-available, one-way, one-class upgrade. Valid only from Coach to Business class, or from Acela Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg. Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations. Travel blackout dates apply."

If my application is not instantly approved, is there a special contact number for Bank of America?
Try calling 888-221-6262 or 866-811-4108. (M-F 8am-7pm EST)

When will I receive my World MC Companion Coupon/Upgrade Coupon/ClubAcela Pass?
"Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade Coupon are available online through your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Your ClubAcela pass will be mailed to you within 2 weeks of account opening."

How soon will my AGR points post after I complete the required spend?
Bank of America transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a day or two after the end of the monthly billing cycle in which you complete the required spend.

Are these cards churnable?
TBD

Print Wikipost

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by AmtrakBlue
I and others are now seeing this on our transactions on AGRs website (with different dates):
BankOfAmerica WorldCard Points Expire on 02/06/2019

Anyone know what this means?

My guess is this is the expiration date of your points should you close your BoA CC and have no other qualifying activities to extend the AGR points expiration date.

Initially I though it was referring to my CC exp date, but another person stated their date didn't match their CC exp date.

I have it on all my transactions and it corresponds to three years after my last activity.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
I can confirm that the Companion Ticket does NOT work on Saver fares in the NE Corridor
It's not just the NEC. I ran into this issue today for a ticket on the Empire Builder. The Saver fare was $146 each way, but I was required to book the Value fare at $188 each way. That meant the round-trip was $366, not the $292 I was expecting.

So the choice was either $584 (2 Saver r'ts) or $366 (one Value r/t plus free companion ticket). That's still a $218 savings, though once you factor in the $79 Annual Fee, it's only a $139 savings [compared to the $213 savings I was expecting].

That's nothing to sniff at (and I realize the annual fee also gets you one free upgrade, but that's useless on the Builder). But it's really making me think twice about renewing my annual fee card for next year.

It's worth noting that the T&C for the $79 credit card describes the companion coupon like this:

Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare.

Nowhere is "(full)" defined. Saver fares are not listed on Amtrak's "everyday discounts" page. So one could surmise that since it's not considered a "discount" it must be a full fare.

But on Amtrak's "Guide to Fares" page it describes Saver Fares as the "lowest available fares" that include "deeply discounted fares." So you could surmise, as the AGR agent I spoke to did, that Saver fares are not "full" fares. However, this is implied and is never specifically stated. Why couldn't Amtrak simply and specifically say in the credit card app that the companion coupon is not valid for Saver Fares?

I think I know: They'd sell fewer $79/annual fee credit cards that way.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: AGR Select/Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
It's not just the NEC. I ran into this issue today for a ticket on the Empire Builder. The Saver fare was $146 each way, but I was required to book the Value fare at $188 each way. That meant the round-trip was $366, not the $292 I was expecting.

So the choice was either $584 (2 Saver r'ts) or $366 (one Value r/t plus free companion ticket). That's still a $218 savings, though once you factor in the $79 Annual Fee, it's only a $139 savings [compared to the $213 savings I was expecting].

That's nothing to sniff at (and I realize the annual fee also gets you one free upgrade, but that's useless on the Builder). But it's really making me think twice about renewing my annual fee card for next year.

It's worth noting that the T&C for the $79 credit card describes the companion coupon like this:

Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare.

Nowhere is "(full)" defined. Saver fares are not listed on Amtrak's "everyday discounts" page. So one could surmise that since it's not considered a "discount" it must be a full fare.

But on Amtrak's "Guide to Fares" page it describes Saver Fares as the "lowest available fares" that include "deeply discounted fares." So you could surmise, as the AGR agent I spoke to did, that Saver fares are not "full" fares. However, this is implied and is never specifically stated. Why couldn't Amtrak simply and specifically say in the credit card app that the companion coupon is not valid for Saver Fares?

I think I know: They'd sell fewer $79/annual fee credit cards that way.
More bait and switch BS from the marketing weasels that ruined AGR when it was switched from a Loyalty Program to a Profit Center.

It's no accident that AGR Insider no longer answers questions on this forum, he's either been muzzled or is ashamed of what has happened to AGR.

The New AGR2.0 Motto:
Less for More!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad

Nowhere is "(full)" defined.
Thanks for this data point. I've added it to the wiki.

Originally Posted by jimhudson
It's no accident that AGR Insider no longer answers questions on this forum, he's either been muzzled or is ashamed of what has happened to AGR.
There's plenty of shame to go around. Recall--as noted in the wiki--that AGR Insider explicitly told us that the coupon could be used on Saver fares. Coming back here would entail a steady diet of crow & humble pie.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Has anyone contemplated, or succeeded, switching their card to the no fee type going forward? Do we lose unused rewards at that time if so?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by beltway

There's plenty of shame to go around. Recall--as noted in the wiki--that AGR Insider explicitly told us that the coupon could be used on Saver fares.
To be fair, the post by AGR Insider that is linked to in the wiki doesn't specifically mention Saver Fares. He is replying to someone who asked if it can be used in conjunction with "a discounted rate like AAA, NARP, etc."

AGR Insider says that the coupon cannot be used in conjunction with those rates. He also says it "works like today's Select Plus / Select Executive companion coupon", which is not a useful example for those of us who have never been Select Plus/Select Executive.

AGR Insider also says that a "Flexible fare is not a requirement." But again, there are two fare levels below "flexible." There is "Value" and then "Saver." The companion coupon works on Value but does not work on Saver.

I think a reasonable person could see AGR Insider's post and come to the conclusion that since a Saver fare is not a "discounted rate like AAA or NARP" (i.e. no special membership is needed to access a saver fare...they are for sale on the Amtrak website for anybody to purchase) AND that since a "flexible fare is not a requirement", that you could use the Companion coupon on a Saver Fare. Indeed, I say a "reasonable person" since that is the very conclusion I reached. But it's not quite accurate to say that AGR Insider explicitly said they could be used on Saver fares.

Originally Posted by lg10
Has anyone contemplated, or succeeded, switching their card to the no fee type going forward? Do we lose unused rewards at that time if so?
If, by "unused rewards" you mean the companion coupon and upgrade coupon, I highly doubt they would claw those back given that you've already paid the annual fee. Those rewards do have an expiration date that would still be in effect.

I am contemplating the switch, but I certainly won't do that until my "annual fee" year nears an end, since I may as well continue to get triple points on Amtrak spending and double points on other travel spending in the meantime.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Well, even if it can be used on Saver fares, I'm assuming the agents are seeing something on ARROW that looks like a discount which will make them assume that it can't be used. Even before the AGR program change, HUACA was needed to apply upgrade coupons on Saver fares as many agents did not know how to manually refare the ticket to the price paid to apply the upgrade, so they erroneously assumed Saver was a type of discount which was causing the error.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:02 pm

Have they ever offered a sign up bonus better than 20k points? I had the old Chase card and have been holding out on getting the new one...
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by danib62
Have they ever offered a sign up bonus better than 20k points? I had the old Chase card and have been holding out on getting the new one...
No
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:12 pm

Short and to the point. I like your style. Guess I'll sign up already then. Doesn't look like they offer a refer a friend deal either but if they do someone should feel free to PM me a link.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lg10
Much delayed response. I completed the downgrade last month ahead of the annual fee. It is not a very smooth process, I ended up being transferred several times from the customer service number on the back of the card. Ended up with customer relations who submitted a request for the product change and advised I would have an answer in 7 to 10 days. Email confirmation came on day 7. They had to reissue the card as well, new account number. Pretty sure there were several days between deactivating the old card and arrival of the new as well.

If I were not minding my inquiries, I would have probably just applied for the no fee and then cancelled the premium for less hassle and more points.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:59 am

companion coupon

Is there a deadline for using the companion coupon? I assume it's at least one year, but wonder what happens if I cannot use it during first year I have the card, does it remain available? Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by sharonsimon
Is there a deadline for using the companion coupon? I assume it's at least one year, but wonder what happens if I cannot use it during first year I have the card, does it remain available? Thanks.
The coupon expires one year after issuance.

You can find the expiration date of your coupon by logging in to the AGR site, opening "My Account Overview," clicking "See All" in the My Coupons area, then click the specific coupon to see the valid dates.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by NovaEngr
The coupon expires one year after issuance.

You can find the expiration date of your coupon by logging in to the AGR site, opening "My Account Overview," clicking "See All" in the My Coupons area, then click the specific coupon to see the valid dates.
Can you see blackout dates for 2017? I'd like to update the wiki, but the blackout dates aren't shown in the card T&C.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by beltway
Can you see blackout dates for 2017? I'd like to update the wiki, but the blackout dates aren't shown in the card T&C.
I can see the 2017 dates out to one year from the expiration of my coupons (expires 10/22/16).

Jan. 1-2, 2017
Feb. 17, 2017
Feb. 20, 2017
Apr. 13-14, 2017
Apr. 17, 2017
May 26, 2017
May 29, 2017
Sep. 1, 2017
Sep. 4, 2017
Oct. 9, 2017

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.