Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Beginning September 12, 2015, two new Amtrak-branded credit cards are available through Bank of America:
  • World MasterCard (20K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; $79 AF, not waived)
  • Platinum MasterCard (12K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; no AF)

Both cards offer the following benefits:
  • Earn 1 AGR point for non-Amtrak purchases
  • Earn a bonus for Amtrak ticket and on-board purchases
    • World MC earns a total of 3 AGR pts/$
    • Platinum MC earns 2 AGR pts/$
  • Receive a 5% points rebate on award redemptions for Amtrak travel
  • No forex fee on purchases outside the US
  • Your AGR points will never expire as long as you hold either card

The World MasterCard offers these additional benefits:
  • Earn 2 AGR pts/$ on non-Amtrak travel purchases
    • Per the T&C, this includes airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, resorts, and steamship/cruise lines. In cases where the merchant of record is not Amtrak, this 2pts/$ category also includes travel agencies, passenger railways, and commuter railways. (The last two were originally excluded, but are included as of 2021 or possibly earlier.)
  • Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year
    • Purchases are credited for the year of the statement on which they are billed. For an account that closes on the 20th of each month, purchases after Dec. 20 will count in the following year.
  • On account opening, receive a single-day pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class lounges
    • Per T&C, "ClubAcela pass valid for bearer and one guest, or bearer's spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21. No same-day ticket required for use."
  • On account opening and at each anniversary renewal, receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade
    • "Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare. Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times. Valid for travel as one (1) one-way or one (1) roundtrip on one reservation per coupon. For roundtrip usage, both directions of travel must be reserved at the same time. Travel blackout dates apply."
      • Blackout dates for 2016: Jan. 2-3; Feb. 12; Feb. 15; Mar. 24-25; Mar. 28; May 27; May 30; Jul. 1; Jul. 4; Sept. 2; Sept. 5; Oct. 10; Nov. 22-23; Nov. 26-28; Dec. 21-24; Dec. 26-30.
      • Blackout dates for 2017: Jan. 1-2; Feb. 17; Feb. 20; Apr. 13-14; Apr. 17; May 26; May 29; Sept. 1; Sept. 4; Oct. 9; Nov. 21-22; Nov. 24-27; [other dates TBD].
      "Regular (full) adult rail fare" excludes Senior/AAA/etc. discount fares. AGR Insider has asserted at one time that "full fare" includes Saver & other unrestricted fares, but two separate FTer reports indicate that Saver fares are in fact excluded.
    • "One-Class Upgrade Coupon valid for one (1) space-available, one-way, one-class upgrade. Valid only from Coach to Business class, or from Acela Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg. Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations. Travel blackout dates apply."

If my application is not instantly approved, is there a special contact number for Bank of America?
Try calling 888-221-6262 or 866-811-4108. (M-F 8am-7pm EST)

When will I receive my World MC Companion Coupon/Upgrade Coupon/ClubAcela Pass?
"Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade Coupon are available online through your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Your ClubAcela pass will be mailed to you within 2 weeks of account opening."

How soon will my AGR points post after I complete the required spend?
Bank of America transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a day or two after the end of the monthly billing cycle in which you complete the required spend.

Are these cards churnable?
TBD

Print Wikipost

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Wow, that's super stingy coding of the bonus category. Looks like I'll be keeping all non-affinity travel spend on CSP to be safe, even with UR-AGR transfers going away.
If you look at the "Program Rules" insert that was mailed by BofA, you'll see that the "Eligible Travel Purchases" (2x) do NOT include Merchant Category Codes (MCC) for Passenger Railways (MCC 4112); Transportation-Suburban and Local Commuter Passenger (4111); Bus Lines (4131); Transportation Services not classified elsewhere (4789).

Looks like trains, etc. other than Amtrak, only get you the one point per dollar points reward.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by FrensicPic
If you look at the "Program Rules" insert that was mailed by BofA, you'll see that the "Eligible Travel Purchases" (2x) do NOT include Merchant Category Codes (MCC) for Passenger Railways (MCC 4112); Transportation-Suburban and Local Commuter Passenger (4111); Bus Lines (4131); Transportation Services not classified elsewhere (4789).
Added to wiki.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Unless...
"airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, and resorts, steamship/cruise lines, and travel agencies" (emphasis mine). It would seem that if you run a purchase through a travel agency instead of buying direct, you get the extra points. That's...pretty perverse. Looks like it's time to talk with a friend in that business...

(And a note: If you have that MCC in use, it looks like that would theoretically cover PV stuff as well)
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
No new card yet

I have still not gotten the new Chase cards. However my account number has been changed online. Fortunately I noticed this just before I paid the bill electronically. Gives me a lot of confidence in Chase.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:33 am

My online application for the BoA card got an "application pending" status; when I went to their website a week later to check the status of the application, their system could find no record I'd ever applied. I ended up having to call and re-apply over the phone. I got instant approved after that, but it sounds like the system still has a few kinks to work out.

Meanwhile, I called Chase to ask why I didn't have a new physical card from them yet and was told they hadn't been mailed yet. They said they'd expedite mine to arrive 3-5 days from now. I don't really understand why they've delayed the process so much.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:53 am

Does anyone know if either of these BoA AGR cards comes with primary rental auto insurance? Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by 4now
Does anyone know if either of these BoA AGR cards comes with primary rental auto insurance? Thanks.
I just received the Cardholder Benefits Guide for the World card. Here are some relevant paragraphs:

The kind of coverage you receive:
We will pay for the following on a secondary basis:
  • Physical damage and theft of the vehicle, not to exceed the limits outlined below.
  • Reasonable loss of use charges imposed by the vehicle rental company for the period of time the rental vehicle is out of service. Loss of use charges must be substantiated by a location and class specific fleet utilization log.
  • Towing charges to the nearest collision repair facility.
This coverage is not all-inclusive, which means it does not cover such things as personal injury, personal liability, or personal property. It does not cover you for any damages to other vehicles or property. It does not cover you for any injury to any party.

Coordination of Benefits:
When MasterRental is provided on a secondary basis and a covered loss has occurred the order in which benefits are determined is as follows:
  1. You or any authorized driver's primary auto insurance;
  2. Collision/damage waiver provided to you by the rental agency;
  3. Any other collectible insurance;
  4. The coverage provided under this EOC.
If you or an authorized driver's primary auto insurance or other coverage has made payments for a covered loss, we will cover your deductible and any other eligible amounts, described in the section "The kind of coverage you receive", not covered by the other insurance.

Note: In certain parts of the United States and Canada, losses to rental vehicles that are covered by your personal vehicle insurance policy liability section may not be subject to a deductible, which means that you may not receive any benefits from this program. Contact your insurance provider for full coverage details pertaining to your personal vehicle liability insurance policy (or similar coverage).

If you have no other insurance or your insurance does not cover you in territories or countries outside of the United States, coverage is considered primary coverage.
Which begs the question (pardon my ignorance): What cards do offer primary rental auto insurance?

If I have a personal vehicle insurance policy, but it does not include collision coverage, would this card's coverage pay for rental car collision damage? I had always thought it would (e.g. with the previous Amtrak MasterCard), but now am not so sure. Fortunately, I have never needed to test it.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rare
What cards do offer primary rental auto insurance?
There's a thread for that over in the Credit Cards forum:
Glancing at the Wiki in that thread, all of the ones that are currently taking applications seem to be annual-fee cards from JP Morgan / Chase.

Having said that, many US-issued cards which are "secondary" are only secondary in the US, and become primary internationally.

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 20, 2015 at 1:22 pm
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
There's a thread for that over in the Credit Cards forum:
Glancing at the Wiki in that thread, all of the ones that are currently taking applications seem to be annual-fee cards from JP Morgan / Chase.
Thanks! That is very helpful. I will have to consider getting one of those cards. Seems the benefit offered by my current cards isn't worth as much as I thought.

Having said that, many US-issued cards which are "secondary" are only secondary in the US, and become primary internationally.
Including, it seems, the new Amtrak card (at least the World version).
Old Oct 20, 2015, 4:40 pm

Notifications need improvement

I'm not thrilled with the way BofA queues up notifications of charges. I really liked how when I used the Chase card, I'd immediately receive a notification on my iPhone. It was also interesting to be able to see, for example, when a hotel would submit a charge, whether a business would submit a validation authorization of $1, etc. And in every case, the notification included the name of the merchant.

Now with BofA, I get notifications like "Credit card charge of $27.38 $67.47 $50.65 $11.15 for card nnnn on mm/dd/yyyy." All together, no indication of where the charge(s) came from, long after the charge(s) occurred.

Oddly, Apple Pay transactions seem to cause an immediate notification. Not sure if that's every time, but I have noticed it. Also, online charges are treated differently and come through immediately.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Rare
I just received the Cardholder Benefits Guide for the World card. Here are some relevant paragraphs:

Which begs the question (pardon my ignorance): What cards do offer primary rental auto insurance?

If I have a personal vehicle insurance policy, but it does not include collision coverage, would this card's coverage pay for rental car collision damage? I had always thought it would (e.g. with the previous Amtrak MasterCard), but now am not so sure. Fortunately, I have never needed to test it.
Thank you, Rare, for this info. Interesting. Because I drive an old beater, and have to insure it; the lack of primary rental auto insurance makes the card less desirable.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
The wiki indicates that "Bank of America apparently transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a few days after you complete the required spend, even if that falls in the middle of a billing cycle."

I completed my minimum spend last Thursday (10/15; the purchase posted as of 10/16), but no bonus points have yet posted to my AGR account. (It is now the following Friday.)

Does anyone have further experience with this?

The card is properly associated with my account, as I have one companion and one upgrade certificate in my AGR account now, dated as "Valid between 10/13/2015 7:09 AM CT - 10/12/2016 7:09 AM CT," so that is from my new card.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
I got my new World Mastercard, and see the companion and upgrade coupons in my AGR account. But they didn't print my AGR member number on the card. Should I be concerned that they're not properly linked? Is anyone else missing their member number on their card? I contacted BOA but they're beyond clueless.

Also I found it amusing on the Welcome letter when it says "2x points on all other travel purchases" I find that quite far from the truth if you ask me.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by jackal
The wiki indicates that "Bank of America apparently transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a few days after you complete the required spend, even if that falls in the middle of a billing cycle."

I completed my minimum spend last Thursday (10/15; the purchase posted as of 10/16), but no bonus points have yet posted to my AGR account. (It is now the following Friday.)

Does anyone have further experience with this?

The card is properly associated with my account, as I have one companion and one upgrade certificate in my AGR account now, dated as "Valid between 10/13/2015 7:09 AM CT - 10/12/2016 7:09 AM CT," so that is from my new card.
I am not sure that the wiki is correct on that issue. At least not in your case or mine. I completed and went over the min spend 10/16. And the bonus points have not posted as of today. I know my accounts are correctly linked because I have received points when my first statement closed. My next statement is due to post on the 1st of November. I will report back if they post with it.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Update to last post. My statement posted today. Just checked my AGR account it shows the bonus points posted today also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.