Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Beginning September 12, 2015, two new Amtrak-branded credit cards are available through Bank of America:
  • World MasterCard (20K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; $79 AF, not waived)
  • Platinum MasterCard (12K pts for $1K spend in 3 months; no AF)

Both cards offer the following benefits:
  • Earn 1 AGR point for non-Amtrak purchases
  • Earn a bonus for Amtrak ticket and on-board purchases
    • World MC earns a total of 3 AGR pts/$
    • Platinum MC earns 2 AGR pts/$
  • Receive a 5% points rebate on award redemptions for Amtrak travel
  • No forex fee on purchases outside the US
  • Your AGR points will never expire as long as you hold either card

The World MasterCard offers these additional benefits:
  • Earn 2 AGR pts/$ on non-Amtrak travel purchases
    • Per the T&C, this includes airlines, car rental agencies, hotels, motels, inns, resorts, and steamship/cruise lines. In cases where the merchant of record is not Amtrak, this 2pts/$ category also includes travel agencies, passenger railways, and commuter railways. (The last two were originally excluded, but are included as of 2021 or possibly earlier.)
  • Earn 1,000 TQPs for every $5,000 in eligible purchases, up to 4,000 TQPs in any calendar year
    • Purchases are credited for the year of the statement on which they are billed. For an account that closes on the 20th of each month, purchases after Dec. 20 will count in the following year.
  • On account opening, receive a single-day pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class lounges
    • Per T&C, "ClubAcela pass valid for bearer and one guest, or bearer's spouse/domestic partner and children under the age of 21. No same-day ticket required for use."
  • On account opening and at each anniversary renewal, receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade
    • "Companion Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult rail fare. Free companion and paying passenger must reserve at the same time and travel together at all times. Valid for travel as one (1) one-way or one (1) roundtrip on one reservation per coupon. For roundtrip usage, both directions of travel must be reserved at the same time. Travel blackout dates apply."
      • Blackout dates for 2016: Jan. 2-3; Feb. 12; Feb. 15; Mar. 24-25; Mar. 28; May 27; May 30; Jul. 1; Jul. 4; Sept. 2; Sept. 5; Oct. 10; Nov. 22-23; Nov. 26-28; Dec. 21-24; Dec. 26-30.
      • Blackout dates for 2017: Jan. 1-2; Feb. 17; Feb. 20; Apr. 13-14; Apr. 17; May 26; May 29; Sept. 1; Sept. 4; Oct. 9; Nov. 21-22; Nov. 24-27; [other dates TBD].
      "Regular (full) adult rail fare" excludes Senior/AAA/etc. discount fares. AGR Insider has asserted at one time that "full fare" includes Saver & other unrestricted fares, but two separate FTer reports indicate that Saver fares are in fact excluded.
    • "One-Class Upgrade Coupon valid for one (1) space-available, one-way, one-class upgrade. Valid only from Coach to Business class, or from Acela Business class to Acela First class, on a single travel segment or leg. Not valid for upgrade to sleeping car accommodations. Travel blackout dates apply."

If my application is not instantly approved, is there a special contact number for Bank of America?
Try calling 888-221-6262 or 866-811-4108. (M-F 8am-7pm EST)

When will I receive my World MC Companion Coupon/Upgrade Coupon/ClubAcela Pass?
"Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade Coupon are available online through your Amtrak Guest Rewards account. Your ClubAcela pass will be mailed to you within 2 weeks of account opening."

How soon will my AGR points post after I complete the required spend?
Bank of America transfers your signup bonus points to Amtrak a day or two after the end of the monthly billing cycle in which you complete the required spend.

Are these cards churnable?
TBD

Print Wikipost

New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
DW, whose FICO is in the mid-830s, was insta-denied for the Platinum card yesterday. She has 4 prior hard pulls this year & 7 in the past 12 months; while that's nothing extraordinary by modern-day churner standards, I'm assuming it's what ran afoul of BofA's automated review tripwire.
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
It sounds more like the glitch that happened the day this card was first rolled out? See posts up this thread stating the same only to get resolved later either by calling or automatically days later.

I had 4 hard pulls in the last 6 months, 7 new CC's in the last year and 14 in the last 2 years before applying and getting approved for the Platinum card after I called.

All the questions that I was asked were to prove my identity - not a single question asked IRT other accounts or apps. And this is my first BOA card and I have not ever had any type of banking relationship prior to applying for this card.
Your speculation seems to be on target. After getting a denial letter in the mail, my DW called to point out that the purported reasons--"insufficient credit history & too few accounts reporting"--are completely contrary to the reality of her long & spotless credit history. Once the CSR took a look at the credit report BofA had pulled, she agreed that this denial was in error; call went quickly & easily.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
You could read the fine print of the BofA offer, or you could just read the wiki for this thread (where I've compiled that and other useful information).

If you're reading FT using the mobile interface, don't. Use the full site/desktop version to view thread wikis.
Thanks for putting all that information together. I wish there was a way to make the mobile site more wiki-friendly.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:08 am

Question. I spent over $200 on Amtrak card (tickets for someone else, dont know if that matters). I went to Amtrak website to transfer ARGs to Choice Hotels and the option wasn't there (I could add it as to wishlist).

I was under impression that Chase card holders who spent $200 on Amtrak purchases were able to transfer points to Choice?

What am I doing wrong?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Another question - I had two charges that ended up going today from my old (Chase) Amtrak MC. Since it's 9/30, do those still get some points on AGR?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
lg10:
They should, though if they were late in the day (or if they get processed after today for some reason) there may be some charges which register as "tomorrow" (e.g. 10/01) or later.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:02 pm

my AF just posted yesterday in case anyone wondered. Also check out for balance transfer offers. my rep begged me to do one. no interest until march 2017
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Amtrak
Originally Posted by lg10
Another question - I had two charges that ended up going today from my old (Chase) Amtrak MC. Since it's 9/30, do those still get some points on AGR?
Transactions dated 9/28, 9/29, and 9/30, including $500 for Amtrak travel, that I made using the old Chase MC posted to the new Visa Freedom card account. I was somewhat surprised because I hadn't received the new card. I called Chase and the rep assured me the points will transfer to Amtrak.

Naturally, I used the new BoA card as soon as it arrived.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by jfriend33
my AF just posted yesterday in case anyone wondered. Also check out for balance transfer offers. my rep begged me to do one. no interest until march 2017
My AF just posted as well.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
thanks for the replies; I will check if they posted!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Update: Received the dreaded "pending" message, called 2 days later and was pleasantly surprised to learn that I was approved for $15k. ^ 4th BofA card but first in a few years.

Still wondering if any of the early adopters have received the signup bonus??
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by jfriend33
I got a strong request to do one at opening. I declined for several reasons (namely that I don't feel like eating the 3% fee, but also because I don't want to encumber my card and/or run the risk of losing the no-interest grace period on other purchases...which I strongly suspect is the reason those transfers are pushed so strongly).
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Update: Received the dreaded "pending" message, called 2 days later and was pleasantly surprised to learn that I was approved for $15k. ^ 4th BofA card but first in a few years.

Still wondering if any of the early adopters have received the signup bonus??
I've spent >$2000 already in my first billing cycle, but haven't received my bonus points. I guess maybe they are waiting until you pay your bill? I have, however, already received my free upgrade and companion coupons. Interestingly, the upgrade coupon is a T-12 hour, while my Select Plus upgrade coupons are T-48.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:33 pm

Has anyone received their Club Acela pass yet?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
I've spent >$2000 already in my first billing cycle, but haven't received my bonus points. I guess maybe they are waiting until you pay your bill? I have, however, already received my free upgrade and companion coupons. Interestingly, the upgrade coupon is a T-12 hour, while my Select Plus upgrade coupons are T-48.
It probably won't process through until the end of the cycle (e.g. probably in the second/third week of the month).
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I got a strong request to do one at opening. I declined for several reasons (namely that I don't feel like eating the 3% fee, but also because I don't want to encumber my card and/or run the risk of losing the no-interest grace period on other purchases...which I strongly suspect is the reason those transfers are pushed so strongly).
Interesting. You will have to explain this more to me. I confirmed with BOA that as long as I make over the minimum payment I will have no problem paying off any new purchases. They will not be accruing interest as long as after the statement cuts they are paid for by the due date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.