Amex Skyguide Executive Privilege Club

Old Oct 26, 2007, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Marisaac
I got this offer via email today with 6 months free membership, companion airfare and annual membership of $29.95. Anybody else received this offer? What do you think; value for money? Is this mid-tier between Plat and Gold?

http://www.skyguideclub.com/index.aspx
I also got this offer. Looked at the link you provided ....there is nothing offered what would be of any interest for me.
Old Oct 26, 2007, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by USAFAN
I also got this offer. Looked at the link you provided ....there is nothing offered what would be of any interest for me.
Other than the day-pass gym membership, is there anything of any real value? Shopping discounts are a joke, and I can't believe that their brand of the OAG flight list is worth much at all. Definitely not $30/month.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:56 am
LDR

Programs: UA 1k, AA lifetime Gold, Marriott lifetime plat
Here is the link:

https://secure.customersvc.com/servl...MSCEKX=CYAA6V0

I have yet to use this membership for anything. Still waiting for the companion certificate...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:52 am

Angry skyguide companion ticket SCAM

The one or two free companion tickets worth up to $1100 for a $59 subscription sound too good to be true? It is. This is a scam. It shows that corporate greed does not stop at the door of name brand companies such as American Express. The scam is that you must buy your regular ticket through their agency. These tickets are priced hundreds of dollars more than buying the ticket online or through your own travel agent. In the end you might save a little money on two tickets, but with the limited cities serviced (only 100)you may have to drive or pick up the tab for the connecting flight. In the end, it's just not a straight up deal, but something that sounds way better than it actually is. If you need SkyGuide when you travel, go ahead and buy it. I think you can usually find the same info on your smartphone for nothing.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 6:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Amex promo for "skyguide executive privilege club"

Since I have an amex plat card, i get lounge access through it. I received a mailing, from amex, for the SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club: (1) for $2.99 (processing fee) you get two months membership and if you remain after two months, there is an additional $29.95 for the full (first) year, (2) $59.95 for each additional year; what is "big" feature: you get 3 times a month lounge access (for all airlines)--you pay the $50 fee to the airline club upfront (a day pass), and send the receipt (to the Priv. Club) for reimbursement. [There is also a companion "free" ticket promo also included...]
This really isn't specific to aa, but since i fly aa, i'm posting it here.
If, the club lives up to its ad, this should be a super deal--i was about to throw it away, but decided to read the whole ad.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by nrr
Since I have an amex plat card, i get lounge access through it. I received a mailing, from amex, for the SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club: (1) for $2.99 (processing fee) you get two months membership and if you remain after two months, there is an additional $29.95 for the full (first) year, (2) $59.95 for each additional year; what is "big" feature: you get 3 times a month lounge access (for all airlines)--you pay the $50 fee to the airline club upfront (a day pass), and send the receipt (to the Priv. Club) for reimbursement. [There is also a companion "free" ticket promo also included...]
This really isn't specific to aa, but since i fly aa, i'm posting it here.
If, the club lives up to its ad, this should be a super deal--i was about to throw it away, but decided to read the whole ad.
Is this only available to a Platinum card holder? Because, at first blush -- you are paying $400 for the benefit of access at any participating lounge... plus now this new fee structure.

I guess the benefit is going to a club for an airline you are not travelling on that day -- which seems (to me) to be a marginal benefit for the cost. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Jul 24, 2008, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by astanley
Is this only available to a Platinum card holder? Because, at first blush -- you are paying $400 for the benefit of access at any participating lounge... plus now this new fee structure.

I guess the benefit is going to a club for an airline you are not travelling on that day -- which seems (to me) to be a marginal benefit for the cost. But, maybe I'm wrong.

Cheers,

-Andrew
The website doesn't say anything about having an AMEX card at all, as far as I have seen. The signup page lets you use other cards to pay, and there is nothing on the signup page asking for your AMEX number

http://www.skyguideclub.com/

Ah, but one pages says
"*Please use your American Express Card when paying for these guest passes."
http://www.skyguideclub.com/shopping/partner.aspx?id=48

BUT http://www.skyguideclub.com/info/faqs.aspx#10

10 . Which credit cards can I use to make purchases?

American Express, Visa, MasterCard and Discover are all accepted for any purchase you make as a SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club member.

(I have requested an response on this)
"We prefer you use your AMEX card but you can use any card and we will reimburse you. Thanks."

Last edited by mvoight; Jul 25, 2008 at 1:03 pm Reason: Response received
Old Jul 24, 2008, 7:56 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by astanley

Cheers,

-Andrew
I only mentioned my amex plat card. I am certain this was a general mailing to me (from a different cc i have with them), not in anyway connected with my amex plat card. [My amex plat card is a business card, and the mailing for the "club" did not have the company name in the address.]
Old Jul 24, 2008, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
6 . What happens after one year?

After one year, your membership will automatically renew at the then current membership rate.

7 . How much is the renewal fee?

The current renewal rate is $199.00; however, this is subject to change.
Perhaps the $29.95 / $59.95 rate is available only to Amex Plat cardholders.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
Has anyone tried this? Almost looks too good to be true.

Last edited by VonS; Aug 27, 2009 at 9:57 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Since this really has nothing to do with any specific airline, and it does relate to American Express cards, this thread will port over to that Forum.

/Moderator
Old Jul 25, 2008, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Since this really has nothing to do with any specific airline, and it does relate to American Express cards, this thread will port over to that Forum.

/Moderator
Actually, it doesn't require an AMEX card at all.

I got this response from the marketing manager

"We prefer you use your AMEX card but you can use any card and we will reimburse you. Thanks."
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by JDiver

/Moderator
I don't think it belongs in Amex either. Travelbuzz, probably.

Looks very interesting, though. I wonder if you can buy a day pass for yourself and two guests if you are willing to use up all 3 for the month? I know it says that the feature is non-transferrable, but if you buy them all on your card?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

More info on the program in this thread, too.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 7:04 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did go to "skyguides" home page, and the offer there is considerably more expensive than the mailing i received from amex: $2.99 for 2 months + 29.95 for an additional 12 months + renewals at the current rate $59.95/yr.
There is a page where you can submit requests for lounge reimbursement: via a form, or online--but you first have to be a member to see these.
I opted for the amex plat card mainly for lounge access (and a bunch of incentives amex offered)--if this works out as advertised it seems to be a bargain and considerably less expensive than the annual amex plat fee.
I'm willing to "gamble" $2.99 and see how a two month membership pans out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.