FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Amex Skyguide Executive Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/848400-amex-skyguide-executive-privilege-club.html)

Happy4 Aug 22, 2006 7:20 pm

Amex Skyguide Executive Privilege Club

Offer from Amex came in over email

Does anyone use Skyguide? Does the companion ticket have any value or is it a "never can use it" type of promotion?

I know it is only $3. But, I didn't want to get on another mailing list if it is not worth it.

As an American Express Cardmember, you have been selected to receive a 6-month membership in the SKYGUIDE Executive Privilege Club, brought to you by EXECUTIVE TRAVEL SKYGUIDE magazine. Your club membership entitles you to premium services, special discounts and exclusive club benefits, plus an Airline Companion Ticket.* You pay just $2.99 for initial processing to activate your exclusive membership.

The SKYGUIDE Executive Privilege Club caters to your needs—both on the road and at home—by delivering first-class travel perks, big savings and well-earned luxuries. During your 6-month membership, take advantage of benefits like these:

Exclusive concierge service that acts as your valet: planning events, getting tickets and securing VIP amenities just for you—available anytime, anywhere
Preferential access and discounts to business and personal conveniences
Savings from upscale retailers all year-round
Online restaurant reservations
Members-only newsletters and special luxury offers
To get your Free Airline Companion Ticket, reply today!

Together, your 6-month membership and airline companion ticket are valued at $699.00. Enjoy them as a “thank you” from us: you only pay a small $2.99 processing fee.

Join now and start enjoying all the Privileges of club membership!

Kagehitokiri Aug 22, 2006 10:25 pm

id only go for it if i could use the companion ticket.

Dreps Aug 23, 2006 7:03 am

Yesterday, I received a similar offer for a subscription to Food & Wine and a "free" companion ticket. I have the same question because it says practically nothing about what type of companion ticket you receive. I guess I'll try to call someone.

jayzee9 Aug 23, 2006 7:20 am

I got the Amex offer and was just about to sign up for it before I saw the terms of the ticket. You have to buy a ticket for a minimum of $300. I believe that would get you between two texas cities. The ticket for say AUS-ORD was something like $450 or $500 and the tickets went up to $600. Then you got your "free companion ticket." I don't know about you, but I just got two AA upgrade-able mile-accruing tickets from AUS-ORD for $219 including taxes each, which makes this deal pretty bad.

proconcierge Aug 23, 2006 10:39 am

Membership has it's cost.

The annual fee to be a member is $199.
From their web page.
"FREE TWO MONTHS OF MEMBERSHIP!
Enjoy two FREE months of membership in the SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club with our compliments. We’ll send your full membership package to you right away. After the two free months, if you want to continue receiving the exclusive benefits, do nothing and you will receive 12 more months of club membership (14 in all). You will be charged the special rate of $199.00 for your first year ($209.00 for Canadian orders) billed to your credit card. Otherwise, simply call 1-800-365-4357 to cancel. If satisfied, you will receive continuous annual renewal of your membership at the then current rate until you advise us to cancel. You may cancel your membership at any time, for any reason, and receive a credit on the remainder of your membership term – GUARANTEED."

larceny Aug 29, 2006 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Happy4
Offer from Amex came in over email

Does anyone use Skyguide? Does the companion ticket have any value or is it a "never can use it" type of promotion?

I know it is only $3. But, I didn't want to get on another mailing list if it is not worth it.

I just received this offer as well. Since it's only $3, I'll probably sign up for the "offers". Has anyone ever used this service?

rrgg Aug 29, 2006 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by proconcierge
The annual fee to be a member is $199.

The offer I saw says 6 months free and then $29.95, not $199.00

"If I enjoy my six free months and want to continue receiving the valuable benefits, I’ll do nothing and my membership will be renewed for twelve more months at the then current rate (currently $29.95) billed to my American Express Card."

Kagehitokiri Aug 29, 2006 9:23 pm

Between different annual prices and a crappy companion ticket (which is only thing I would have considered in decision) it sounds pretty bogus..

rrgg Aug 29, 2006 10:02 pm

You might think it's a bad deal, but it's not bogus.

Kagehitokiri Aug 29, 2006 10:27 pm

Why would two different annual rates with a difference of $170 be given in two different places then?

Sounds about as close to a "scam" as a "legitimate" thing can be...

s25843 Aug 29, 2006 11:37 pm

This alone may be worth joining

Unwind, Refresh, Decompress . . . at the Airport!

What's the best place to take a quick shower after a long flight, enjoy a relaxing massage, even take a nap before a meeting? Increasingly, the surprising answer is at the airport. Even as airlines cut back on in-flight amenities, airports and airport clubs are offering more. Here are just a few of the options for a quick refresher now available to air travelers. Even if you don't otherwise qualify for membership in airline-run airport clubs, you can now enjoy one-day access to the clubs' showers, Wi-Fi connections, free snacks, and other opportunities to recharge for about $50 a day.

Purchase a guest pass at any airport club and we will reimburse you up to $50.* !* It's a special, limited-time offer** just for SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club members like you. Utilize your airport club guest pass up to three times a month, now through January 2007! Just remember to mail us your receipt within 30 days of use. When you're a SkyGuide Executive Privilege Club member, pamper yourself on us to stay relaxed and refreshed while traveling!

Kagehitokiri Aug 30, 2006 12:29 am

Value of $150 a month for 5 months? What lounges does it work with?

s25843 Aug 30, 2006 12:35 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Value of $150 a month for 5 months? What lounges does it work with?

The T&C State any lounge as long as its no more than $50, you have a receipt, and you mail the receipt within 30 days of the date on the receipt. I am a DL CRC member, but I am going to mail in a Red Carpet receipt that I have and see if I get reimbursed.

Kagehitokiri Aug 30, 2006 12:45 am

Just looked at the actual site http://www.skyguideclub.com/

There are some different benefits, nothing that great, other than if the lounge/gym thing works as advertised. Suggests you can get up to 40% off AVIS as well.

If the lounge/gym thing works or you use the partners, it could be worth $200.

rrgg Aug 31, 2006 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Why would two different annual rates with a difference of $170 be given in two different places then?

Sounds about as close to a "scam" as a "legitimate" thing can be...

Are you kidding? Just about everyone makes different offers to different consumers, even online giants like Amazon. The annual rate I mentioned was in an emailed link I received. Take a look at all the credit card offers out there-- different APR, different mileage bonus, and so on.