Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rewards redemption as an "additional cardholder" question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa, SAS, Delta, Priority Club Rewards, AMEX Open Gold

I am an additional cardholder on an Open Gold Business card and attempted last week to redeem some miles that I was told by the "primary" that I should because ours are expiring faster than we can use them. AMEX kept telling me the "system was down," but not that I could not redeem them.

Can I as an "additional cardholder" redeem miles? I looked over their site, but could not find this in any of the small print on there. Did I maybe miss it?
Old Jul 19, 2006, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by bassmount
I am an additional cardholder on an Open Gold Business card and attempted last week to redeem some miles that I was told by the "primary" that I should because ours are expiring faster than we can use them. AMEX kept telling me the "system was down," but not that I could not redeem them.

Can I as an "additional cardholder" redeem miles? I looked over their site, but could not find this in any of the small print on there. Did I maybe miss it?
I don't know if the rules are different for business cards or gold cards. However, as a plat add'l cardholder and as a centurion add'l cardholder, I cannot redeem awards. The primary member must do it.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 7:22 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold

The primary cardholder has to authorized additional cardholders ability to redeem MR points. This can be done via the website with personal cards. I would ask your primary to call CS make sure your authorized.

- ChuckB
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:00 am

THis entire addl card holder nonsense just aggrevates me no end. I am a addl card holder on husband's account. I also use the card a lot more than he does. When I would call AMEX to ask about something or file a dispute on a charge that I had made it used to be that they would not accept the dispute from me or give me any information at all. They told me that husband had to make the call since he was primary. THis nonsense finally ended only when he wrote them a letter that they keep on file telling them to share all information with me and allow me to question charges etc. Now I can understand this if I was not affected by the card but every month they report the card status to the credit bureaus under BOTH our names and SSN's. In other words I was good enough to use it and treated equally when it came to credit reporting but not good enough to get information from them when I called. STUPID! STUPID!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA EXP, UA 1K, AMEX Cent
Originally Posted by KathyP
THis entire addl card holder nonsense just aggrevates me no end. I am a addl card holder on husband's account. I also use the card a lot more than he does. When I would call AMEX to ask about something or file a dispute on a charge that I had made it used to be that they would not accept the dispute from me or give me any information at all. They told me that husband had to make the call since he was primary. THis nonsense finally ended only when he wrote them a letter that they keep on file telling them to share all information with me and allow me to question charges etc. Now I can understand this if I was not affected by the card but every month they report the card status to the credit bureaus under BOTH our names and SSN's. In other words I was good enough to use it and treated equally when it came to credit reporting but not good enough to get information from them when I called. STUPID! STUPID!
Easy fix...
Have him call and say you are authorized to make all changes on the acct. There are 2 types of authorized accts. One lets you book travel, redeem rewards, etc. The other lets there be bill payment, addl cardholder, cancellation, and other methods of representation. My assistant and wife both have this, allowing them to make necessary changes if the need arises.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by KathyP
I have this problem as well. Doesn't seem to matter how many times my husband tells them I am authorized to do any of it -- they keep insisting the letter "doesn't cover this transaction."

Just last night, I tried to activate my 15-year-old son's new card, which came in the mail yesterday. The Centurion CSA wouldn't let me do it -- but asked to speak to my son and then finished the transaction.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 6:09 am

Programs: UA

This works for personal cards, I imagine it's the same for business:

On the AMEX website, the primary cardholder will need to log-in, then under the Account Services heading on the right side of the page, there is a link that says "See More." You may be asked to select the account. At the bottom of the next page there is a "Membership Rewards" heading, and under that a link for "Authorize a Supplemental Cardholder to redeem points from this account." That should do it. HTH
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa, SAS, Delta, Priority Club Rewards, AMEX Open Gold
Originally Posted by andol469
This works for personal cards, I imagine it's the same for business:

On the AMEX website, the primary cardholder will need to log-in, then under the Account Services heading on the right side of the page, there is a link that says "See More." You may be asked to select the account. At the bottom of the next page there is a "Membership Rewards" heading, and under that a link for "Authorize a Supplemental Cardholder to redeem points from this account." That should do it. HTH
Thanks for you replies in both threads. Evidently since she has not added me, I can see nothing, nor do anything except pay the bill and see the balance in the rewards section. She is at the beach, so i will have her do this for me when she gets back.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by chuckb
The primary cardholder has to authorized additional cardholders ability to redeem MR points. This can be done via the website with personal cards. I would ask your primary to call CS make sure your authorized.

- ChuckB
Does this mean that additional cardholders can redeem points as miles credited to their own FF accounts?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by climbermom
I have this problem as well. Doesn't seem to matter how many times my husband tells them I am authorized to do any of it -- they keep insisting the letter "doesn't cover this transaction."

Just last night, I tried to activate my 15-year-old son's new card, which came in the mail yesterday. The Centurion CSA wouldn't let me do it -- but asked to speak to my son and then finished the transaction.
Ask to have yourself added as an 'Authorized Account Manager'. That should cut through the red tape.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by javabean
Does this mean that additional cardholders can redeem points as miles credited to their own FF accounts?
bump

anybody knows?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bump

anybody knows?
Yes it does, if I remember correctly the CSR said so when I went through the process.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:14 am

bump

anybody knows?
I have my SPG acct (as well as his) attached to my hubby's AMEX where I am an addt'l. card member, and transferred some MR points to it recently online, no problem. I do pretty much everything online with MR, so as not to bother Mr Fish for the phone calls. Heck, he has no idea what points he has in this or any of his FF accts, or even the passwords to find out; I keep track of everything!

Robin
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:43 pm

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.