Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unexpected Amex MR Clawback

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2024, 12:48 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by msp3
Today I woke up to a surprise of an email saying 3038 MR was clawed back on my BBP, along with some generic description of what does not earn MR. Worryingly, the amount was 3038, the same amount I earned from buying 3 gift cards including fee at Safeway. Is this a one-off, or should I be concerned? I have not MS'd on this card for a long time, and only do so if some bonus/promotion comes along.
Others with greater experience in this area will hopefully have advice for you; in the meantime, xan you share whether the 3038 points were part if a larger purchase or a standalone purchase? That seems like a very small amount for them to bother clawing back.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Others with greater experience in this area will hopefully have advice for you; in the meantime, xan you share whether the 3038 points were part if a larger purchase or a standalone purchase? That seems like a very small amount for them to bother clawing back.
It would be small if it were done manually. However, if they have the purchase data in electronic form from the merchant, they could write a script that applied this automatically to all affected accounts. In that case, it would be more work for them NOT to adjust certain accounts just because the amounts were small. Plus, the amounts from all of the small gift card transactions added together could easily be more than the small percentage that bought gift cards in large quantities.
SPN Lifer and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by msp3
Today I woke up to a surprise of an email saying 3038 MR was clawed back on my BBP, along with some generic description of what does not earn MR. Worryingly, the amount was 3038, the same amount I earned from buying 3 gift cards including fee at Safeway. Is this a one-off, or should I be concerned? I have not MS'd on this card for a long time, and only do so if some bonus/promotion comes along.
If you haven't done much MS for awhile, then I wouldn't expect any further adverse action for now. But I wouldn't say it is a one-off. If they catch you buying gift cards again, then there is a good chance they will claw the points back again.
msp3 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just saw a clawback of 5000 some points. I did have some grocery spend in March which matches. IIRC from prior years Amex seems to monitor more in April and clawback in April. I did spend some more in April prior to their action.

Should I expect the April spend to clawback too? (any datapoints from past in this area)?

I'm not at all aggressive in my grocery spend, and am a little perturbed. Also I have a litter of smaller amounts that were untouched in clawback
Old Apr 24, 2024, 3:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by eddieflyer
Just saw a clawback of 5000 some points. I did have some grocery spend in March which matches. IIRC from prior years Amex seems to monitor more in April and clawback in April. I did spend some more in April prior to their action.

Should I expect the April spend to clawback too? (any datapoints from past in this area)?

I'm not at all aggressive in my grocery spend, and am a little perturbed. Also I have a litter of smaller amounts that were untouched in clawback
I would contact them if it was groceries spending they clawed back - that is legit and should not get you on the naughty list
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by eddieflyer
Just saw a clawback of 5000 some points. I did have some grocery spend in March which matches. ...I'm not at all aggressive in my grocery spend
Can you clarify what you mean by "grocery spend" - did you purchase groceries, or did you purchase gift cards at a grocery store? Being "not at all aggressive" is an odd way to describe spend on actual groceries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.