Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unexpected Amex MR Clawback

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2023, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Unexpected Amex MR Clawback

This morning, I received an email from Amex stating that a portion of my MR points were cancelled. When I logged in to check, I found out that I was short of 30k points. The email explained that the deduction might be due to a downgrade or certain offers not complying with the rules. After making a phone call, I was told that the 30k points were clawed back because I bought gift cards at a supermarket which is against the rules.

Indeed, this year I bought 25k of MO to take advantage of the Gold Card 5x referral. But I thought that apart from the sign-up bonus, Amex doesn't really care about this. Plus, each transaction was between $480-490, definitely not $505.95. I don't know how it triggered the alert. Anyone got similar DPs?
Old Jul 12, 2023, 2:54 pm

They have been caring when that extra 5x referral bonus comes into play. Multiple clawback reports for gift card purchases earning the extra 5x. But the majority have been gift card looking amounts or multiple of the same amount. What grocery store are you frequenting? Seems Safeway has been a target.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:14 pm

RATS are back! The Rewards Abuse Team (RAT) is a division within American Express that looks into accounts who try to game or abuse the rewards system.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:15 pm

I never received an email but I am still waiting for a SUB from June 22nd of this year. Are things going that slow on Amex side of things again? I always remember them posting like the next day when the minimum spend was met.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hysch
They have been caring when that extra 5x referral bonus comes into play. Multiple clawback reports for gift card purchases earning the extra 5x. But the majority have been gift card looking amounts or multiple of the same amount. What grocery store are you frequenting? Seems Safeway has been a target.
Most of them are at Safeway, I guess that's the reason.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by xinux
Most of them are at Safeway, I guess that's the reason.
I don't use Safeway. I shopped at BJs for 15k. Called in and they said I would get it. They always have the 8 to 12 wrrks to fall back on. Was wondering if anyone else was running late
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pulk5733
I don't use Safeway. I shopped at BJs for 15k. Called in and they said I would get it. They always have the 8 to 12 wrrks to fall back on. Was wondering if anyone else was running late
Have an AMEX Biz Plat on which I hit the MSR on 6/23 and a Biz Gold (different player) on which I met it 6/28. Neither have posted. Obvious MS on both; had points clawed back on one so far.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Have an AMEX Biz Plat on which I hit the MSR on 6/23 and a Biz Gold (different player) on which I met it 6/28. Neither have posted. Obvious MS on both; had points clawed back on one so far.
How were the points clawed back on one if they didn't post yet on the first place?
Old Jul 21, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by xinux
This morning, I received an email from Amex stating that a portion of my MR points were cancelled. When I logged in to check, I found out that I was short of 30k points. The email explained that the deduction might be due to a downgrade or certain offers not complying with the rules. After making a phone call, I was told that the 30k points were clawed back because I bought gift cards at a supermarket which is against the rules.

Indeed, this year I bought 25k of MO to take advantage of the Gold Card 5x referral. But I thought that apart from the sign-up bonus, Amex doesn't really care about this. Plus, each transaction was between $480-490, definitely not $505.95. I don't know how it triggered the alert. Anyone got similar DPs?
$25k of MO at 5MR per $ would be 125k MR and they only clawed back 30k MR > I would call myself lucky and fuggetaboutit
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
How were the points clawed back on one if they didn't post yet on the first place?
MRs for spend to meet the MSR was clawed back, not the SUB itself, which hasn't posted.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 8:07 am

I received such email two days ago.
About 30k MR points were gone from one card account
I have been making 5xx.xx purchases in groceries such as Walmart Neighborhood and Kroger's.
Should I stop using this card or all Amex cards all together?
Can Amex clawback hotel/mileage points earned on Co-branded cards? is it still safe to use them?

Thank you all!

Here is the email:
We're writing to let you know that, unfortunately, we have removed some Membership Rewards® points from your program account.

Here's what happened

After careful review, we noticed activity that indicated these points may have been earned or used in a way that doesn't meet the terms and conditions of the Membership Rewards program or of the promotional offer under which you earned the points.

Here's what you need to know

The way Membership Rewards points are earned or used may not meet our terms for one or more of the following reasons:
  • If your account was downgraded or canceled within 12 months of acquiring it
  • If you didn't meet the spend criteria of an offer due to returns
  • If the type of spend wasn't eligible to receive points
    • This applies to traveler's cheques, prepaid/gift cards, person-to-person payments or other cash equivalents, or purchases that don't represent the exchange of goods or services
  • If an activity was not eligible to earn or redeem rewards (examples: self-referring for a reward or selling of points)
Here's what you can do next

If you feel these points were removed in error, don't hesitate to reach out - give us a call at 1-800-297-3276 right away. In the meantime, be sure to inform any Additional Card Members who may be authorized to redeem points about this change in your Membership Rewards points balance.

Have questions?

As always, you can review your points balance or chat with us online by logging into your account at ... - we're here for you 24/7.

Sincerely,

American Express
Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Pebblebei
I have been making 5xx.xx purchases in groceries such as Walmart Neighborhood and Kroger's.
Should I stop using this card or all Amex cards all together? ...

Here's what you can do next

If you feel these points were removed in error, don't hesitate to reach out - give us a call at ...
If you are purchasing large amounts of groceries at grocery stores to get a spending bonus and you think that they've clawed them back because they falsely think the spend is ineligible, then it would seem the thing to do is to contact them and get it straightened out. I don't see a need to stop using that card or Amex cards in general.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta DM
Unexpected? ha!
tjk1976 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Pebblebei
I received such email two days ago.
About 30k MR points were gone from one card account
Should I stop using this card or all Amex cards all together?
Can Amex clawback hotel/mileage points earned on Co-branded cards? is it still safe to use them?
Amex can claw everything back. They usually don't. In 30 years of having multiple Amex cards it has never happened to me.

If you bought regular groceries ... write to Amex (or better call them) can get it sorted out.
If you bought gift cards (and they are not eligible) then ... you got caught Nothing to do here
Old Feb 20, 2024, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Today I woke up to a surprise of an email saying 3038 MR was clawed back on my BBP, along with some generic description of what does not earn MR. Worryingly, the amount was 3038, the same amount I earned from buying 3 gift cards including fee at Safeway. Is this a one-off, or should I be concerned? I have not MS'd on this card for a long time, and only do so if some bonus/promotion comes along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.