Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Your question is probably answered in this Wikipost

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline, then wait a day
before making a reimbursable purchase. It can take a few days or a full week to be reimbursed.

Travel Bank: There'sa separate thread at this link for general discussion of Travel Bank. Travel Bank is available again Jan. 3, 2022 and posts as a Special Service Ticket reimbursed by Amex (but unofficially). May appear as United Electronic Ticketing or United Airlines Houston. Purchase here: https://www.united.com/offers/travelcash If your transaction returns a Payment Failed error, try adding your American Express card to your United Airlines profile, and repeat the transaction using the stored card. DO NOT CALL Amex to ask about being credited for this.

On December 31, 2021 United suspended Travel Bank deposit transactions and posted a message "Offer has ended."

United does not sell gift cards.

As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

READ BELOW for EXPENSES WHICH MAY BE REIMBURSED

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391

Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees Subscription worked in Feb 2020, data point here. As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.

Award AcceleratorI would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • FareLock
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet unless it is billed by the airline.)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI (provided it is billed by the airline.)
Keeping Track of Your Incidentals The Amex website has a Benefits link which will show a meter to keep track of your reimbursements. You may need a desktop/laptop browser to see it.

A general discussion of
Travel Bank is in a separate thread .

(2021 discussion of UA available at this link.)
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: UA only (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
It has taken up to 2-3 days to get automatic credits in the past. So for Charges on 1/3 - posts on 1/5 - Credit by 1/7 or so. By the weekend we will know for sure
I'd feel pretty good once the meter moves if people can report that! Thanks in advanced!
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
The Gift Registry seems to have been discontinued in October 2016: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27292967-post2325.html

The Travel Bank went live in June 2020: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32570327-post165.html

I don't think there is any reason to believe that United's decisions to open or close these features has anything to do with American Express.
Travelbank dates back to CO pre-merger, IIRC. Gift registry, as well, I believe, and got adopted by UA when they merged into the CO system in 2012.

note TravelBank was not new in 2020 - it always existed. Gift registry contributions went into TravelBank back in the day. The thing was the suspension of being able to buy funds in it from the time the registry closed to the TB funding option last year. I had multiple deposits in that time from other stuff.

Originally Posted by Happy Traveling Consultant
At the very least, they'll have to transfer over credits. I was earning $30 per month through Chase and November and December still hadn't posted. Still had a decent balance in Travel Bank.
yup - still waiting for my 2 x $10 from Nov/Dec on my Select card. Most of the promo months, they had been consistently posting around the 22nd or 23rd (I think) of the month after, so would have expected the Nov. deposit around Dec. 22. However, Oct. deposit came late for sure.

Originally Posted by churn_dat_nation
If I book a cash ticket, could I possibly get an agent to apply my travel bank funds to it later on? I ask because my travel bank wont pop up as an option to pay because of having a segment with a code share flight. If anyone knows, please let me know.
Not 100% sure, but I think when UA loosened up the ETC rules in the late summer or fall, I thought that TB funds started to be able to be used for partner flights as well. I never tried to actually use it in that situation, so perhaps it would have failed in the end, but definitely know it showed as a payment method to use when I was looking up itins with a segment on AC in the fall.

Originally Posted by mia
Unlikely. The TravelBank exists to support this credit card issued by Chase. The card is no longer open for applications, but many people still have and use them to earn TravelBank credits.

I had that card, which got transferred to the Gateway about a year and a half ago. But that is not why TravelBank exists - existed well before that, like I said, pretty certain pre-merger on the CO side. The card took advantage of what was was already there. For me, back in the day when UA was still using PQD, it helped me earn 1.5% on spend that would qualify me for PQD waiver when purchases were in categories that didn’t get me a bonus on my select.

in fact, back in the day, TB existed definitely after the merger. Besides the gift registry mentioned above, for a while, CO, then UA, incentivized purchases on their website using the United.com Club. Paid $25 a year, and got you back $5 into TB on every ticket purchased through United.com (so 2 travelers on a PNR got you $10 on a roundtrip - $20 if you booked it as 2 one ways). I did well with that. And actually, was active until relatively recently, I saw my last addition through that in Nov. 2019.

Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
Now that the travel bank is dead, is there other options like the JetBlue, southwest hack? Buy ticket, refund to wallet?
it came back from the dead…again [maybe some twilight zone music would go well here!]

Originally Posted by STS-134
…It could come back tomorrow for all we know…
BINGO! How’d you know? Some sort of prize should be due, especially after all the commotion this has caused when the TB was down for what, 4 days?

Originally Posted by mia
Maybe. See this post from October: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33640181-post1584.html , but note that the reimbursed amounts were small. American Express' system may assume that any transaction lower than a threshold is a reimbursable fee. We would need systematic testing to find the maximum amount that will be reimbursed automatically..
that was me. Like I said there, was just trying to buy tickets using credit and the balance on the card. Amounts that generated credits were somewhere around $10-$35, IIRC, but in several transactions (one, for example, was a three-person PNR where the amount owed was ~$10/ticket). im not going to complain, for sure, but was completely surprised when they credited.
Xyzzy and imnotalawyer like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: United 1K | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Titanium Elite | Caesars Diamond | MGM Gold |Hyatt Globalist
Aspire and Biz Plat charges made on 3 Jan

Ran two $100 and one $50 on Aspire; two $100 on Biz plat yesterday on 3 Jan. Will report on the status tomorrow or Thursday.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 4:42 am

need data point please help a poor man like me
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:07 am

Hi has anyone used TB for itinerary that has a partner airline flight as well as United metal? Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:23 am

New DP

Originally Posted by kenlam2012
need data point please help a poor man like me
United Airlines Houston TX.

Just like last year. Step 2 is now in the books here's to the refund phase hopefully on Friday but probably Saturday.

I bought 2x $100 using Platinum card when the system came back on line this week.
redcorns likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Yes -- posted as a special services ticket o'hare to o'hare. Assuming AMEX didn't change anything on their end this should trigger reimbursement.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by gtran26
Hi has anyone used TB for itinerary that has a partner airline flight as well as United metal? Thanks!
Tried this unsuccessfully on Nov 30 for a UA then connecting to LH.
gtran26 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:57 am

1x250 posted as special service ticket
6x100 posted as special service ticket.

Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:24 am

Posted as United Airlines Houston TX for $100 x2
Strange thing for me is that even though the charges posted, total balance didn't go up. Unsure if it's a glitch or something going on on the backend.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by pickle_flyer
Posted as United Airlines Houston TX for $100 x2
Strange thing for me is that even though the charges posted, total balance didn't go up. Unsure if it's a glitch or something going on on the backend.
When you become obsessed with checking your CC accounts for this type of stuff you'll see all sorts of abnormalities. Early in the morning AMEX will have pending charges disappear and posted balances increase, posted charges disappear, posted charges not add to total balance, payments to your account look like they haven't been applied, etc.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by jags86
When you become obsessed with checking your CC accounts for this type of stuff you'll see all sorts of abnormalities. Early in the morning AMEX will have pending charges disappear and posted balances increase, posted charges disappear, posted charges not add to total balance, payments to your account look like they haven't been applied, etc.
​​​​​​​I see the balance updated now.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jags86
Yes -- posted as a special services ticket o'hare to o'hare. Assuming AMEX didn't change anything on their end this should trigger reimbursement.
Did it always say your name and " /TRAVEL BANK CA" as passenger. Hopefully doesns't matter.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:57 am

Did anyone’s Airlines credit meter moved yet for those with posted charges now ?
thanks in advance.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by dkmatter
Did it always say your name and " /TRAVEL BANK CA" as passenger. Hopefully doesns't matter.
Yes that is normal. Same as prior years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.