Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 6:44 pm

Got a targeted 125000 points offer , applied and got approved. Now looking to find ways to recoup the $695 AF.. lol
Old Oct 2, 2021, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
One more - its funny as a lot of people see the CSR travel credit as a positive. I always saw it as a negative - you don't earn 3x on that travel spent, and for me, I always exhausted the credit on Uber anyway, so it didn't really seem like a benefit to me. In contrast, I feel like the Marriott credit on the Bonvoy card is better structured as you still earn bonus points on that spend, and you tend to use it all on a stay, so psychologically it feels like more of a benefit ($300 off a hotel stay is more impactful than paying half of your Uber bill for a month).

The CSR would be better if it were simply a $250 fee card, excluding the travel credit, but I guess you could make the same argument for the Amex Platinum. At least with Amex, the credits can much more than offset the fee with the credits.
Personally, I don't see the CSR credit as a negative at all. Super easy to use, you can even do it if you don't travel (IMO, in most cases, parking counts as travel). A $300 credit is a $300 credit...not sure why it matters if you use it with Uber, or somewhere else. And I'm confused about why, if you use the credit on Uber, $300 off wouldn't be seen as a benefit.

Personally, if I had to come up with a complaint about the CSR credit (though I'm not complaining about this), it's that it's too easy to use. Personally, I keep pretty good track of budget, card statements, etc, and I'd rather see that credit come off of a couple of larger transaction then on multiple smaller parking, public transportation and whatever expenses. I'd rather just book and have it come off of airline tickets, hotel stay, etc. The Amex credits are useable, but take a lot more work and don't count for everything (airline credit doesn't work for tickets, upgrade fees, etc., only for a single airline you need to select in advance, etc.). They are still valuable, but take some thinking to use more fully.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 7:49 am

One more - its funny as a lot of people see the CSR travel credit as a positive. I always saw it as a negative - you don't earn 3x on that travel spent, and for me, I always exhausted the credit on Uber anyway, so it didn't really seem like a benefit to me.
300 free dollars is a negative because it's too easy to use? Huh?
Old Oct 2, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
300 free dollars is a negative because it's too easy to use? Huh?
maybe “negative” was too strong - in the years I had the CSR, the travel credit was used for Uber or Subway passes, so it felt kind of ordinary. I get more sentimental value using credits for stuff like flights, hotel stays, etc. Its a good feature, but it is not a reason to get the card IMO. When people mention the travel credit as a pro CSR point, I kind of shrug - it’s just an annual fee offset. So are the Platinum credits, but there are many more of them
Old Oct 2, 2021, 8:24 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Personally, I don't see the CSR credit as a negative at all. Super easy to use, you can even do it if you don't travel (IMO, in most cases, parking counts as travel). A $300 credit is a $300 credit...not sure why it matters if you use it with Uber, or somewhere else. And I'm confused about why, if you use the credit on Uber, $300 off wouldn't be seen as a benefit.

Personally, if I had to come up with a complaint about the CSR credit (though I'm not complaining about this), it's that it's too easy to use. Personally, I keep pretty good track of budget, card statements, etc, and I'd rather see that credit come off of a couple of larger transaction then on multiple smaller parking, public transportation and whatever expenses. I'd rather just book and have it come off of airline tickets, hotel stay, etc. The Amex credits are useable, but take a lot more work and don't count for everything (airline credit doesn't work for tickets, upgrade fees, etc., only for a single airline you need to select in advance, etc.). They are still valuable, but take some thinking to use more fully.
The thing is if you’re anal like me, you know you can get discounted Uber credits pretty easily. For example, with a few clicks of my phone screen I can buy as much Uber credit as I want for 12.5% off any time, anywhere. So if I were to use the $300 CSR credit for Uber, I’d be losing $37.50. So if you’re really trying to maximize the CSR credit you need to be careful once it renews to make sure you’re using it on something that isn’t readily available at a discounted rate.

When I had a CSR, I typically just added $300 to my EZ Pass account because you can’t get EZ Pass money discounted. Although, even in that scenario, I was foregoing 4.5% back that I would have gotten using my Altitude Reserve — losing $13.50.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
maybe “negative” was too strong - in the years I had the CSR, the travel credit was used for Uber or Subway passes, so it felt kind of ordinary. I get more sentimental value using credits for stuff like flights, hotel stays, etc. Its a good feature, but it is not a reason to get the card IMO. When people mention the travel credit as a pro CSR point, I kind of shrug - it’s just an annual fee offset. So are the Platinum credits, but there are many more of them
Yep. It's mainly an offset of the annual fee. But as you stated Amex can have some good offers that actually put money in your pocket, like the Best Buy, Home Depot and even Home Chef deals. I used everyone of those and I still have a $100 Delta GC I purchased from Best Buy that I will use along with the $200 airline credit this year. But lately they have been slacking royally. Also that Dell deal wasn't bad either.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Oct 2, 2021 at 8:41 am
Old Oct 2, 2021, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by jags86
The thing is if you’re anal like me, you know you can get discounted Uber credits pretty easily. For example, with a few clicks of my phone screen I can buy as much Uber credit as I want for 12.5% off any time, anywhere. So if I were to use the $300 CSR credit for Uber, I’d be losing $37.50. So if you’re really trying to maximize the CSR credit you need to be careful once it renews to make sure you’re using it on something that isn’t readily available at a discounted rate.

When I had a CSR, I typically just added $300 to my EZ Pass account because you can’t get EZ Pass money discounted. Although, even in that scenario, I was foregoing 4.5% back that I would have gotten using my Altitude Reserve — losing $13.50.
it's not hard to avoid this with chase. Just buy an airline gift card. Or just buy a southwest ticket and cancel it before 24 hours. That works until chase hires some amex clawback employees
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Yep. It's mainly an offset of the annual fee. But as you stated Amex can have some good offers that actually put money in your pocket, like the Best Buy, Home Depot and even Home Chef deals. I used everyone of those and I still have a $100 Delta GC I purchased from Best Buy that I will use along with the $200 airline credit this year. But lately they have been slacking royally. Also that Dell deal wasn't bad either.

.....and I still have some steaks and salmon in my freezer from Home Chef. I hesitated, but, once I did the math, and stacked with one of their new customer deals, I realized I was getting around 17 meals for $50 total---delivered to my doorstep. I guess what they is true, "A way to a man's heart is through his stomach.".....Thanks Amex
Old Oct 2, 2021, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sloflyer032
Or just buy a southwest ticket and cancel it before 24 hours. That works until chase hires some amex clawback employees
You'd lose 900 UR points doing this. Since Chase doesn't award points on the first $300 of travel but they do deduct 3x on travel refunds even if it's a transaction that didn't earn any. But yes it otherwise does work to cash out the travel credit if that's what you want to do
Old Oct 2, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
.....and I still have some steaks and salmon in my freezer from Home Chef. I hesitated, but, once I did the math, and stacked with one of their new customer deals, I realized I was getting around 17 meals for $50 total---delivered to my doorstep. I guess what they is true, "A way to a man's heart is through his stomach.".....Thanks Amex
The home chef deal helped with my meals while I was staying in a hotel. It really cut down on expenses. But, I probably gained weight from those lemon cake slices!
Old Oct 2, 2021, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Just putting it out there, if anyone on FT wants to send me $300, I am ok with not being able to earn points on it.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Just putting it out there, if anyone on FT wants to send me $300, I am ok with not being able to earn points on it.
Take a number😁
Zorak likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
This argument is very YMMV. AMEX has absolutely had great offers this past year. The Paypal and dining were also solid. However, these are not guaranteed for the future. Many cards added some temp benefits during the pandemic. Chase also has offers (but admittedly, not as strong yet). I've had 10-15% cash backs in various stores, restaurants, hotels, etc that I've used. Right now I have a 15% Hyatt cash back (22.5% with CSR bonus).

To assume that this card is putting money in the average person's pocket is still very ymmv. I've seen enough spending lists to question that people truly get the $695 in value. When I think of saving money, it rarely comes in the form of socks at Saks, staying loyal to a single airline, paying for digital memberships in monthly payments vs annual, the most expensive gym, ordering Ubereats, etc etc.

At least with Chase, I wouldn't even use up all of the fingers on one hand to count on more than one hand the amount of times I had to change my spending habits because of CSR returns and credits. The travel credit is effortless. PYB was truly reimbursing me for things I already bought, at a solid valuation. Lyft was massive return when I needed to use it. For me, I would easily consider that truly putting money back in my pocket. I will admit though, the $550 fee doesn't have me cheering. We will see how it works out.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:21 am

RE: Chase vs Amex

For travelers, I think the differentiator has (had?) been access to the CL, which I suspect has justified the fee for many. The rest of the offsets were most likely to make the fee a little more palatable, I suppose.

Now, what's interesting to me is what'll happen in 2023 when they nix the guest access. Will it lead to less crowding? Arrival access? Relax the 3 hour limit? If access and quality of experience revert to during those initial years, is it possible to have more Plat holders without overcrowding?

It'll be interesting.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Super Mario
This argument is very YMMV. AMEX has absolutely had great offers this past year. The Paypal and dining were also solid. However, these are not guaranteed for the future. Many cards added some temp benefits during the pandemic. Chase also has offers (but admittedly, not as strong yet). I've had 10-15% cash backs in various stores, restaurants, hotels, etc that I've used. Right now I have a 15% Hyatt cash back (22.5% with CSR bonus).

To assume that this card is putting money in the average person's pocket is still very ymmv. I've seen enough spending lists to question that people truly get the $695 in value. When I think of saving money, it rarely comes in the form of socks at Saks, staying loyal to a single airline, paying for digital memberships in monthly payments vs annual, the most expensive gym, ordering Ubereats, etc etc.

At least with Chase, I wouldn't even use up all of the fingers on one hand to count on more than one hand the amount of times I had to change my spending habits because of CSR returns and credits. The travel credit is effortless. PYB was truly reimbursing me for things I already bought, at a solid valuation. Lyft was massive return when I needed to use it. For me, I would easily consider that truly putting money back in my pocket. I will admit though, the $550 fee doesn't have me cheering. We will see how it works out.
I calculate each lounge visit at $30 a visit no matter which lounge. I get to eat and drink as much beer as I like. I've taken lots of flights in the last year and I definitely got my money's worth out of that fee. But, this year coming up, who knows what other offers will be on the table. Right now, I break even with no other offers. Looking forward to more offers for 2022.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.