Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Global Adventurer
*Equinox $25 Credit will not be issued for ANY products you buy online at their merchandise Shop which is coded as "Equinox The Shop". However, it appears that you can purchase Gift Cards straight off the site, but lowest denomination is $100. Gift cards can be used for merchandise and memberships.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by lax01
Have you gone through the flow? You have to login or create an account on the Equinox site to see if you are eligible for the credit - it does not work like a normal statement credit when you make an actual purchase with Equinox - go here to start the flow: https://platinum.equinox.com/
I already went through all of that it states I'm "enrolled" on the platinum website, for what that's worth. And I can go to "gift cards" and get up to the payment screen which shows I'm still logged into the equinox site. It would be nice if somebody who already wants to purchase a gift card could report back if it works, but unfortunately the lowest gift card denomination they carry is $100. So, not for folks who just want to clear out their equinox credit, but for folks who use the program and want to save money on $100 gift cards.

Sometimes with Amex, it takes a person to be a little savvy to come up with alternative ways to get Amex Credits
WasKnown likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mia
The fees, benefits and rewards are entirely separate from the USA-issued cards. I don't see any indication that either IDC page (UK or Caribbean) has been refreshed recently. The Caribbean annual fee was already $795, that's not new.
I see. I switched to IDC when the UK Plat fee increased to the current one (£650?) and the annual fee has been $550 since then. In that case, the UK-issued IDC Plat fee might increase to $695 in the not too distant future, hopefully with some new benefits.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I too would love an Amex Plat that earned 5x on travel and dining, and with extensive lounge access globally. But Amex shareholders (like
me) would probably hate it because the product would be unprofitable

As of today, the only issuer to offer 5x on airfare is American Express. I amexcluding the 5x on Chase portal bookings on the Freedom
cards because it is limited and requires a third party booking. Chase Sapphire Reserve has refused to go over 3x on dining/travel over a few refreshes because would be unprofitable. Citi discontinued its 5x airfare card. IMO Centurion should probably offer 5x travel and dining but who knows
Worth pointing out that Chase points are easily redeemed for 1.5 cpp, Amex is 1 cpp (using the same type of redemptions).

So that’s 4.5% back with the Reserve on travel and dining, plus 2.25% back on everything else if you get a free CFU card. The Platinum is 5% back on flights and prepaid hotels, 1% on everything else.
yjc281, notquiteaff and Adelphos like this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Worth pointing out that Chase points are easily redeemed for 1.5 cpp, Amex is 1 cpp (using the same type of redemptions).

So that’s 4.5% back with the Reserve on travel and dining, plus 2.25% back on everything else if you get a free CFU card. The Platinum is 5% back on flights and prepaid hotels, 1% on everything else.
I don’t disagree that Chase is better for earning. I use them myself for that purpose
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Hoping someone finds a hack for that sorry equinox beneNOT
yjc281 and Global Adventurer like this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by greglvnv
Just a thought but am I the only one who would just be happy with a Plat Amex with amazing Concierge service & 5 MRs for each $ spent on travel, dining and gas? All those other benefits require you to restructure your life around them.
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Hoping someone finds a hack for that sorry equinox beneNOT
Yes, the implication is that if you don't use it, you will be beneFAT.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by darkrider
Has the statement credit posted for you all yet? I signed up for Clear. I ended up doing the $179 one because I wanted to make sure it was just right with Amex. (I subsequently linked United Mileageplus and then clear said it would go to $109 next year). However, so far I just see a statement credit of $70? Are the credits posting in pieces for anyone else? Hopefully it all goes through and won't require a phone call
I was just charged the $179. for Clear on Saturday. It has not been credited as of yet. I will post here when I see the credit.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:00 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
So what’s the general sentiment on these Amex plat changes? I understand the initial push back. However, I actually think the card works out quite well for me now.

The $200 FHR credit isn’t amazing but in my book it justifies the $150 annual fee increase alone.

The $240 streaming credit is pretty obnoxious but, as someone that already listens to audible every day during workouts, I find value in it. It’s also great for anyone that was hoping to stream basketball at the Olympics.

Clear and Equinox aren’t great but their inclusion doesn’t really take away from my appreciation for the other two perks.

With that being said, Resy Global Dining Access is a joke. I’m hoping it will decrease concierge wait times so I can actually try to get some seats at Eleven Madison Park but I’m not optimistic.
Mahogany likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I would be happy if the Amex Plat card had 5x points for every travel and dining related expense globally, lounge access globally, including lounge buddy and priority pass, and a competent concierge service.
But how much would you be willing to pay for it? I play the coupon book game to bring the cost of lounge access (and return protection, extended warranty, etc.) as close to zero as possible. I would never pay $550 or $695 for lounges and a worthless concierge.
​​​​
hotturnip and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by WasKnown
So what’s the general sentiment on these Amex plat changes? I understand the initial push back. However, I actually think the card works out quite well for me now.

The $200 FHR credit isn’t amazing but in my book it justifies the $150 annual fee increase alone.

The $240 streaming credit is pretty obnoxious but, as someone that already listens to audible every day during workouts, I find value in it. It’s also great for anyone that was hoping to stream basketball at the Olympics.

Clear and Equinox aren’t great but their inclusion doesn’t really take away from my appreciation for the other two perks.

With that being said, Resy Global Dining Access is a joke. I’m hoping it will decrease concierge wait times so I can actually try to get some seats at Eleven Madison Park but I’m not optimistic.
I think it's going to be a YMMV answer for everyone. For me, the $200 FHR credit is worth much less, maybe $100, if that because I always stay with chains where I have the highest status (Hyatt Globalist for life, Marriot Titanium for Life, Hilton Diamond).

The streaming credit is worth $0 to me because I don't use any of those except for Sirius and I've got a grandfathered lifetime subscription I already paid for. I get Clear free through United as a 1K, but will sign up P2 and a kid. Wouldn't have done it otherwise, though.

Equinox is truly laughable. About 1% of the population belongs and many of them couldn't even use this credit.

So for me, the new benefits add up to maybe $50 if I assign some value to the Clear membership I wouldn't have otherwise bought.

Easy cancel for me when it's renewal time unless they throw me a great retention offer.
ck8 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
In regards to how do I feel:

$695 Fee
-$100 Saks Credit
$595 of things that are slightly more complicated to use:
-$200 Airline Credit - A pain, but not too bad if you are strategic, and if more loopholes aren’t closed
$395 of things that are decently able to get my money back
-$200 Uber -Not an easy credit in my particular line of use
-$240 Streaming Credit - Mostly services I will use because they are free with the credit, but not that I would purchase otherwise.
-$200 FHR/THC Credit - kind of a pain since I usually book direct with Marriott or Hyatt to ensure my elite benefits. Supposedly Hyatt will count this, but i am not sure.
-$179 Clear Credit - Okay, I’ll get it because it is free? It is in some of the airports I use with some frequency, but GE/Pre Check is much more useful.

So there is a lot of money on the table to defray the fee. I’m ambivalent towards most of the benefits, and may downgrade the card. Not very sure at this point. The greater earnings rate with Gold is worth sacrificing the FHR benefits for me and the lounge access potentially.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:16 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by WasKnown

I got a retention offer, so I will be staying for another year anyway. While I usually can make the card pay for itself with offers, and some of the credits, I'm beginning to find keeping track of all this tedious. I'm also not going to be happy next Jan, 2023, when I will be forced to add my wife as an AU for $175, or pay $50 per visit for Centurion club visit. That will be next year's problem I suppose.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Why would any of you with a renewal date before Jan 2022 cancel (or ask for a retention offer) if the benefits you signed up for at that price stayed exactly the same? Everything else is just extra, even if you value every single new benefit at 0$.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Why would any of you with a renewal date before Jan 2022 cancel (or ask for a retention offer) if the benefits you signed up for at that price stayed exactly the same? Everything else is just extra, even if you value every single new benefit at 0$.
Why would you not ask for an offer?
Old Jul 5, 2021, 6:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by jtc246
Why would you not ask for an offer?
I would ask for it whenever the $695 hits the statement not the $550.

If $550 was worth it before, it’s 100% worth it now.
ck8 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.