Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

2021 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Has anyone actually received a Centurion Card invite?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2021, 9:08 am

Are there any benefits with RESY as a centurion customer? I know with platinum they have some sort of partnership.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Jay66
Are there any benefits with RESY as a centurion customer? I know with platinum they have some sort of partnership.
I believe it’s the same Global Dining Access as platinum members get. I haven’t seen a difference with Centurion
Old Nov 6, 2021, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by NYtoCHI
I believe it’s the same Global Dining Access as platinum members get. I haven’t seen a difference with Centurion
It would really be nice to see some sort of benefit here like AmEx having a dedicated table for centurion members at certain desirable restaurants.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 4:41 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I keep my stock of Amex points to be used to transfer to airline programs, and a majority of my award travel tickets are booked within well less than 48 hours of scheduled departure. And this provides me much better value than 2 cents per mile — even for economy class travel. But this seems to be a very different redemption pattern than for most of those who did the large spend to qualify for a US Centurion invites in the first place — then it’s a lot more likely for those Centurions to redeem points — at a fixed value — on a regular paid ticket.

Transferring the points to an airline program and dealing with award space availability/award pricing issues (and award travel routing issues) can be rather undesirable at times, and that relative undesirability is definitely not an issue unique to Centurion card holders.
Yeah, good luck doing that in the situations described above. You live in NYC and your friends have decided on a last minute trip to Zurich. Everyone booked the same business class ticket that leaves in less than 1 week and you want to come to. You need to book a ticket for yourself and a girl. Will there be J award space on that flight for two people? Maybe if you are lucky but most of times, not at all. The number one rule of thumb for award travel is to book your flights way out which is just not appealing for many people.

This is especially helpful for people that are sitting on balances of millions of MR. Although excess MR is cheaper to cash out than UR is with Schwab, this does little to help people that want to rebate spend from their businesses for personal use. The fixed 2 cents / MR redemption is very powerful for this group: high spenders that care about value but not about pinching pennies on award travel.
Plumuser likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:45 am

Centurion Invitation

Well being a Goldman Sachs client definitely gets you the Centurion invitation. I got a phone call and email this morning inviting me to apply for the centurion. I called them back and accepted the invitation to apply and was approved after a 30min phone call. Card will be delivered on Monday.
renila, SteveT, Statman and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Yesterday I had dinner with a client and was surprised to see him pull out a plain ole Visa card instead of the Centurion which surprised me and I asked him why. The response - his security team advised him and all family members who are AU to put away the card until after the holiday season and New Year due to safety and security concerns. From what I understand, one instance provided, especially at high end malls, there have been a string of robberies by very well dressed individuals "pretending" to be shopping but are actually stalking out potential victims and observing method of payment. This is interesting because this past weekend I was actually shopping at such a mall and at one store where previously one put the credit card a tray which was then taken to the back to be processed and now they instruct customers to discretely hand over the credit card directly.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Bm86
Well being a Goldman Sachs client definitely gets you the Centurion invitation. I got a phone call and email this morning inviting me to apply for the centurion. I called them back and accepted the invitation to apply and was approved after a 30min phone call. Card will be delivered on Monday.
Congrats on the card! Are you a GS PWM client (10M+ according to online sources) or managed investments client (750k-1.5M)?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by shawnwahi
Congrats on the card! Are you a GS PWM client (10M+ according to online sources) or managed investments client (750k-1.5M)?
I’m a GS PWM Client. I ended up getting the card for my girlfriend as well. We both didn’t choose any art cards. Went with the original but chose the Prada wearable but they said it will be a couple weeks for it to come in
Old Nov 11, 2021, 4:20 pm

I’m a GS PWM Client. I ended up getting the card for my girlfriend as well. We both didn’t choose any art cards. Went with the original but chose the Prada wearable but they said it will be a couple weeks for it to come in
Got it! Would you be willing to share your annual spend on AMEX cards as well? I'm wondering if you had high spend + PWM or was PWM alone enough.

Last edited by shawnwahi; Nov 11, 2021 at 4:35 pm
Old Nov 11, 2021, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by shawnwahi
Got it! Would you be willing to share your annual spend on AMEX cards as well? I'm wondering if you had high spend + PWM or was PWM alone enough.
Of course!
2019 - doesn’t show online anymore but it was around $500k on platinum Amex
2020 - $979,000 on platinum
2021 - currently just under $1,400,000 on platinum

i have a couple other Amex cards, but combined those spends are under $100k.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Of course!
2019 - doesn’t show online anymore but it was around $500k on platinum Amex
2020 - $979,000 on platinum
2021 - currently just under $1,400,000 on platinum

i have a couple other Amex cards, but combined those spends are under $100k.
What was the process for getting it like? Purely on the GS side? A mix of amex and GS? Do you know if you can get the biz card through this?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown
What was the process for getting it like? Purely on the GS side? A mix of amex and GS? Do you know if you can get the biz card through this?
so once I heard about it being a thing Goldman Sachs could help me get, I contacted my the team at GS who manages my account and they had me sign a form to release my info to Amex. They said Amex would contact me within 7-10 days to let me know of their decision. One person from my GS team emailed me today saying I should receive a call from Amex shortly. They called and emailed me about 2 hours after they said that. Then the rest was done on the phone through Amex, the normal questions were asked to get approved and then they went over the benefits.

I would honestly say GS played a much bigger role in getting me this card rather than my spend. Even though for my area, I feel like my spend is fairly high.

I am not sure about getting the business centurion this way, but I can ask them and find out if you want me to
Statman and WasKnown like this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 5:50 pm

so once I heard about it being a thing Goldman Sachs could help me get, I contacted my the team at GS who manages my account and they had me sign a form to release my info to Amex. They said Amex would contact me within 7-10 days to let me know of their decision. One person from my GS team emailed me today saying I should receive a call from Amex shortly. They called and emailed me about 2 hours after they said that. Then the rest was done on the phone through Amex, the normal questions were asked to get approved and then they went over the benefits.

I would honestly say GS played a much bigger role in getting me this card rather than my spend. Even though for my area, I feel like my spend is fairly high.

I am not sure about getting the business centurion this way, but I can ask them and find out if you want me to
If you could find out for the biz card, that would be great. I’m also aware that GS PWM offers services for clients that already have their own family offices. I wonder if this relationship would be sufficient? Curious to hear your thoughts on GS PWM holistically. Thnx.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 10:56 am

Yeah. I would switch to Goldman Wealth Management if my manager of the multi-family office that manages my money wasn't a close friend. And he's actually a really good wealth manager, who runs money for several Silicon Valley unicorn founders. He doesn't have an in with Amex Centurion, though.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by qnxr01
Yeah. I would switch to Goldman Wealth Management if my manager of the multi-family office that manages my money wasn't a close friend. And he's actually a really good wealth manager, who runs money for several Silicon Valley unicorn founders. He doesn't have an in with Amex Centurion, though.
Multi-family offices definitely directly compete with PWMs so fair enough. However, I wonder what relationship level would be required to solicit an invite. GS PWM offers many single family office services for UHNWIs. I wonder if that would be sufficient?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.