Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Shouldn't Amex Allow The Uber Credits to Carry Over in Light of Covid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shouldn't Amex Allow The Uber Credits to Carry Over in Light of Covid?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 11:03 am

I've had the same issue - when I escalated to Amex they told me the Uber cash balance had to be used up and then the Amex credits would apply - this never used to be the case (must be a recent app update) and i felt would be outrageous if you had hundreds of dollars in Uber cash - I only have $30 so will use that up but still think it's not on and if anyone has any tips / workarounds much appreciated
Old May 18, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jonathanev
I've had the same issue - when I escalated to Amex they told me the Uber cash balance had to be used up and then the Amex credits would apply - this never used to be the case (must be a recent app update) and i felt would be outrageous if you had hundreds of dollars in Uber cash - I only have $30 so will use that up but still think it's not on and if anyone has any tips / workarounds much appreciated
When was that? My order from May 10 used the May credit and some of my Uber cash balance. I tend to keep my apps updated (don’t recall if I ordered on iPad or Android phone).

I have only about $7 Uber cash left, so I guess I will refrain from buying more if discounted gift card offers come around until there is clarity around this issue. It would indeed be a ridiculous policy/change.
Old May 18, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jonathanev
This is most definitely a departure from when the credits were new (before "Uber Cash" existed). If this is now standard policy instead of a one-off CS agent's misunderstanding, then we should be complaining en masse.

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I recommend finding a local business (no big chains). My favorite local restaurants do not have marked-up prices when ordering via Uber Eats. (I know because I also go in person to order, and the prices are the same). Also, I believe that all of the ordering apps have reduced or eliminated their "cut" from small local businesses for the duration of the COVID crisis as a way of helping those restaurants stay afloat and getting more customers on the app platform.
That is interesting of your local restaurants; my experience is that the big chains have the ability to absorb the restaurant-side Uber fees than the small chains. One of my favorite locals does a Gyro for $9.99 on Uber Eats (with with pickup) but in store it's Gyro, soda, fries for $9.99.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:24 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Gig103
This is most definitely a departure from when the credits were new (before "Uber Cash" existed). If this is now standard policy instead of a one-off CS agent's misunderstanding, then we should be complaining en masse.
I started a support ticket in the Uber Eats app for this and got this response from Uber Priority Support:

"It appears the issue you are experiencing is already under investigation. We appreciate your patience as we work hard to resolve this issue as soon as possible. We are unable to adjust which type of Uber Cash is applied at this time. For this inconvenience, I've added $5 in Uber Cash to your account."
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kdm31091

As far as letting it roll over, Amex being Amex, I doubt it. They intentionally make their credits difficult to use, and they seem to like the breakage that comes with doling it out monthly (not everyone will remember to use it). As someone else said, I assume charges are way down lately so their interchange income is down. They did not used to even advertise that you could use the Uber credit for Eats, but now they are more forthcoming about it. I expect they feel that being able to use it for Eats is "good enough" and there's no need to do more.
I agree. All these monthly credits from Amex leave a very bad tastes. Not to memtion the $200/year airline fee credit.
Old May 20, 2020, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
When was that? My order from May 10 used the May credit and some of my Uber cash balance. I tend to keep my apps updated (don’t recall if I ordered on iPad or Android phone).

I have only about $7 Uber cash left, so I guess I will refrain from buying more if discounted gift card offers come around until there is clarity around this issue. It would indeed be a ridiculous policy/change.
this was in March but last used credits successfully (without taking uber credit instead) in Dec
Old May 20, 2020, 6:29 am
Suspended

People pay $500 annual fee to have Amex Plat card and have to keep track of a few dollars of the free credit per month.
Pathetic in my opinion.
Old May 20, 2020, 6:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mama
I agree. All these monthly credits from Amex leave a very bad tastes. Not to memtion the $200/year airline fee credit.
People pay $500 annual fee to have Amex Plat card and have to keep track of a few dollars of the free credit per month.
Pathetic in my opinion.
What did you tell them when you cancelled your card?
Old May 20, 2020, 6:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
What did you tell them when you cancelled your card?
Nothing. It's their business, none of my business.
Old May 20, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I used Uber Eats the other day to use up my Amex credit and some of the gift card cash balance I had, I did a pickup.
I've never had a problem with the Amex credit being used first. Though I agree the fees for these delivery apps and the markups are higher than ordering direct through a restaurant app,
and if you're going to pickup using a Gold card for 4x is a better deal.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by mhdena
I used Uber Eats the other day to use up my Amex credit and some of the gift card cash balance I had, I did a pickup.
I've never had a problem with the Amex credit being used first. Though I agree the fees for these delivery apps and the markups are higher than ordering direct through a restaurant app,
and if you're going to pickup using a Gold card for 4x is a better deal.
It's not necessary to charge to the AMEX Plat to use the Uber credit, which is one of the benefits of it being an Uber account credit (although potentially causing other problems. as noted).
Old May 20, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by gengar
It's not necessary to charge to the AMEX Plat to use the Uber credit, which is one of the benefits of it being an Uber account credit (although potentially causing other problems. as noted).
My point was using a gold card and the restaurants app for pickup and 4x, not using the platinum to pay for anything.
Old May 20, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by mhdena
My point was using a gold card and the restaurants app for pickup and 4x, not using the platinum to pay for anything.
Does UberEats not code as restaurant for 4x on the Gold? My impression was it did, although I never tried when I had it (typically use my CSR).
Old May 20, 2020, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Does UberEats not code as restaurant for 4x on the Gold? My impression was it did, although I never tried when I had it (typically use my CSR).
4x for me.
Old May 21, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Pathetic in my opinion.
I can't tell if you're against the credits, or against cardholders who bother to track the 'few dollars'.
krazykanuck likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.