Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Shouldn't Amex Allow The Uber Credits to Carry Over in Light of Covid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

The title says it. I'm not taking Uber these days, nor is anyone else I know. In fact, we're all sheltering in place as required by law.

Seems fairly obvious to me that Amex should let the Uber credits roll over month to month so we can actually use the credits.

Yes, I know that I could use the credit for Uber Eats, but for various reasons I prefer not to do that. Part of my cost/benefit analysis in signing up for the Platinum card was the value of the Uber benefit.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
The title says it. I'm not taking Uber these days, nor is anyone else I know. In fact, we're all sheltering in place as required by law.

Seems fairly obvious to me that Amex should let the Uber credits roll over month to month so we can actually use the credits.

Yes, I know that I could use the credit for Uber Eats, but for various reasons I prefer not to do that. Part of my cost/benefit analysis in signing up for the Platinum card was the value of the Uber benefit.
I agree with you, but there are two factors that could be causing Amex to avoid an extension.

1) they have already given a $20 wireless and $20 streaming credit to account for the decreased value of the card
2) Most importantly, I think it is likely that Uber is paying for some or all of the credit, though I have no clear evidence. If Uber is paying for part of the credit, they may prefer that customers are still able to utilize their credits with UberEats and may not want customers to hold the credits for an extended period of time. Also, if Amex grants any extensions or manual credits those could potentially be coming 100% from Amex, so they could actually end up losing money.

Regardless, you make a good point and I hope Amex reconsiders.

Last edited by diesteldorf; May 17, 2020 at 1:55 am
Old May 15, 2020, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Amex probably also made some sort of cost/benefit analysis when they offered us the Plat card and Covid likely has impacted that, too. (e.g., Chase reported a 40% drop in card member charges)

Personally, I have always used the credit for UberEats, so nothing changed as far as that benefit is concerned... (but lounges, 5X travel are a different story).
ESpen36 likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
I don't understand why the Uber credit can't be used worldwide, I use UberEats at least twice per month while stationary or traveling out of the country, including Uber ride share. I forfeit all those credits year round
Old May 16, 2020, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I've always used my credit for Uber Eats. Works perfectly. No loss of benefit opportunity for me.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I may break down and use UberEats, though I find it massively overpriced.

I do think the wireless and streaming credits, which are worth much more than this, help soften the blow.
Old May 16, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
AMEX already threw cardholders a bone with the wireless/streaming credit; clearly this was meant as a 'retention bonus' in consideration of the loss of value of travel benefits to a large portion of the cardholder base, so I think it's a lot to ask that Uber credits be held for us indefinitely. AMEX Plat has always been a card with a wide array of benefits which are always going to have varying utility to cardholders - the Uber credit and wireless/streaming credits are just more examples of this.
Old May 16, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
I think it is likely that Uber is paying for some or all of the credit, though I have no clear evidence. If Uber is paying for part of the credit, they may prefer that customers are still able to utilize their credits with UberEats and may not want customers to hold the credits for an extended period of time.
I think so too, on all counts. Regarding the latter, toward the end of the month I seem to get both emails and push notifications in the Uber app about my not having used my Amex credit this month so far, and reminding me that I can also use them for Uber Eats.
Old May 16, 2020, 2:13 pm

Uber Eats is overpriced compared to ordering directly and I think if you're using it for Eats, it's not really fair to consider the credit at face value, since you can get the same food cheaper by ordering directly in most cases. But obviously some saving is better than nothing, and if you are not going to use it for rides, you may as well use it for Eats instead of letting it go to waste.

As far as letting it roll over, Amex being Amex, I doubt it. They intentionally make their credits difficult to use, and they seem to like the breakage that comes with doling it out monthly (not everyone will remember to use it). As someone else said, I assume charges are way down lately so their interchange income is down. They did not used to even advertise that you could use the Uber credit for Eats, but now they are more forthcoming about it. I expect they feel that being able to use it for Eats is "good enough" and there's no need to do more.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
For starter, Uber is in a bigger trouble than AMEX.

In attempt to resist AB 5, Uber fired its first shot, but failed so far. In return, California is suing Uber back.

After the COVID situation has been settled, Uber could be out of business (because Uber may have to pay back the unemployment tax it failed to pay), rendering all credits unusable.

What's the point?
Old May 16, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

I'm more concerned with the airline credits, which have no feasible alternative right now, rather than the Uber credits, which do have an alternative.

I'll also point out that the $320 in streaming & wireless credits were not part of your cost/benefit analysis; one could argue that is making amends for 8 months of Uber and the entire airline incidentals credit.

Frankly, I hate Uber as a company and am enjoying watching California slap them around in the courts. I get my monthly delivery+service fee covered by Amex but I'd rather see these new credits stick around instead of Uber after the dust settles on COVID-19. They aren't purely travel in nature, but just about everyone has a mobile device and at least one streaming service.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I may break down and use UberEats, though I find it massively overpriced.

I do think the wireless and streaming credits, which are worth much more than this, help soften the blow.

I recommend finding a local business (no big chains). My favorite local restaurants do not have marked-up prices when ordering via Uber Eats. (I know because I also go in person to order, and the prices are the same). Also, I believe that all of the ordering apps have reduced or eliminated their "cut" from small local businesses for the duration of the COVID crisis as a way of helping those restaurants stay afloat and getting more customers on the app platform.
Old May 17, 2020, 10:40 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I have an Uber Cash balance of about $60, of which $15 is my Amex Benefit that expires 5/31. I assumed if I placed an Uber Eats order it would use up the Amex Benefit first, but it didn't touch that and instead took it from the larger Uber Cash balance. This is frustrating. I think I read this was an issue with other posters. Any workarounds to this?
Old May 17, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
This irritates me as well. I recommend looking into pickup if possible because it eliminates uber's 15% fee.I also agree that the credits should be able to be used abroad.

To the poster above, I was afraid of this happening to me as well, but my AMEX credits have been deducted first.
Old May 17, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ymx
I have an Uber Cash balance of about $60, of which $15 is my Amex Benefit that expires 5/31. I assumed if I placed an Uber Eats order it would use up the Amex Benefit first, but it didn't touch that and instead took it from the larger Uber Cash balance. This is frustrating. I think I read this was an issue with other posters. Any workarounds to this?
I have had a cash balance from discounted gift cards for a while, and UberEats has always used my Amex credit first. Not sure of a reason or workaround, but if it happened to me, I would hassle Uber customer service (if they have such a thing) about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.