Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2020-23)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by mia
This time of year I would explain that you cannot wait that long, because the year will end, and the unused benefit may be lost.
FWIW I've manually claimed a credit from last year in Jan-Feb this year, and the credit counted for the previous year. I'm pretty sure it did not touch the credit available for this year.
LIH Prem and boxo like this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 6:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
FWIW I've manually claimed a credit from last year in Jan-Feb this year, and the credit counted for the previous year. I'm pretty sure it did not touch the credit available for this year.
Understood, but if in January American Express rules that your November transaction is ineligible, there is nothing to be done.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Please do not worry elCheapoDeluxe, I can see that your preferred Airlines is set as Alaskan Airlines, since you are enrolled, the credits would automatically apply within 8-12 weeks.
Please do not worry, since the transaction took place before Dec 31st, the discontinuation of the benefit will not affect this transaction.
What we would be able to do is, if the credit does not apply within 2-3 weeks, please connect back to us and we would be able to open an investigation for you.
That's why I always hated this f***ing benefit. So glad it is being replaced with one that is easier to use.

Of course all that was after having to explain that the $50 credit she saw was for the new benefit, not the $250.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 11:47 am

Can y'all confirm that if I use my incidental credit for premium class, and then cancel my flight to my wallet, whether the premium fee goes back into my wallet or as a credit back on the card?

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2023, 5:33 pm

Changed flight for two people, ~$330 total split to two transactions, whole dollars no cents
14 days, reached out via chat, agent said he was able to manually credit.
boxo likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by doublemazaa
Can y'all confirm that if I use my incidental credit for premium class, and then cancel my flight to my wallet, whether the premium fee goes back into my wallet or as a credit back on the card?

Thanks!
Wallet.I always wait 24 hour after my flight was booked to cancel to make sure it goes back to wallet via the instant method - if you do it less than 24 hours I find it takes considerably longer to go back to the same place because it is processed as a <24hr refund to original form of payment.

Separately - I waited my two additional weeks - went on chat again - nothing had changed - and was able to get my credits. I'm sure this benefit was just as much a waste of time for Amex as it was for us.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 4:38 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Has anyone had success recently with getting automatically reimbursed for a ticket purchase where either an Alaska Gift Card code was used or Wallet Funds were used with the balance charged to your Amex? Or from add collecting to a higher fare onlnie? Or is are these just a myth from the past now?

Last edited by John26; Dec 21, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Old Dec 21, 2023, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by John26
Has anyone had success recently with getting automatically reimbursed for a ticket purchase where either an Alaska Gift Card code was used or Wallet Funds were used with the balance charged to your Amex? Or is that just a myth from the past now?
I tried that first (gift card and charge balance) and was unsuccessful. I did not try to fight it with Amex since it technically is not a supported use of the credit - and switched to the seat upgrade fee tango which seems to work but is a hassle if AS codes the charge wrong.
John26 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I tried that first (gift card and charge balance) and was unsuccessful. I did not try to fight it with Amex since it technically is not a supported use of the credit - and switched to the seat upgrade fee tango which seems to work but is a hassle if AS codes the charge wrong.
Been scrolling trying to understand the upgrade fee tango - is this the correct way?
  1. After ensuring you are enrolled and chose Alaska etc, purchase air ticket (okay to include Mileage Plan number) using any credit card (including Amex card that has airline fee credit)
  2. After confirmation, go back and purchase premium class seats for additional fee and charge to Amex card that has airline fee credit
  3. Wait for 24 hours from original air ticket confirmation
  4. Cancel ticket and credit to My Wallet (premium class seat fees will go to My Wallet as well)
  5. Wait 8-12 weeks for Amex credit
  6. Complain to Amex on chat because none of it posted automatically

Or can I purchase premium class seats in the same transaction as the air ticket purchase?

Thank you for helping spell it out for me!! Really appreciate it
Old Dec 22, 2023, 12:36 am

Been scrolling trying to understand the upgrade fee tango - is this the correct way?
  1. After ensuring you are enrolled and chose Alaska etc, purchase air ticket (okay to include Mileage Plan number) using any credit card (including Amex card that has airline fee credit)
  2. After confirmation, go back and purchase premium class seats for additional fee and charge to Amex card that has airline fee credit
  4. Cancel ticket and credit to My Wallet (premium class seat fees will go to My Wallet as well)

Or can I purchase premium class seats in the same transaction as the air ticket purchase?

If you have status I would book it for a guest (which could have the same name as you, wink wink) that does not have an AS number. That way easier to trigger seat fees.

I always booked the ticket, paid, and booked the seat fee separately. I did not want to risk the charge having been combined with something that AmEx wouldn't reimburse (plus I wanted to use existing wallet funds for the ticket but NOT the seat fee).
John26 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:16 pm

I bought a basic economy Alaska ticket a few days ago using an e credit and charged the balance to the platinum card. the charge has posted to amex, showing the full itinerary details. I'm guessing this will not trigger the amex credit.

if I now pay for the "upgrade" to premium class, will the upgrade tango still work given that this is a basic economy ticket bought more than 24 hours ago?

or would i be better off just buying a new ticket to do this? how can i cancel a ticket to get an e credit rather than a refund? would i need to get standard economy as opposed to basic economy for this upgrade tango to work?
Old Dec 29, 2023, 1:41 pm

Looking to book AS ticket. Y is $350, upgrade $230. NOT looking to cancel, fully intend to fly in premium. Will the upgrade fee get reimbursed by Amex Plat if it's above $200?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

This thread is closed.

Platinum cardholders post here: Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2024)

Aspire cardholders post here: Report Hilton Aspire $50 x 4 Flight Credit experiences (All Airlines)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.