Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum Travel Services (PTS) vs Amex Travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Amex Platinum Travel Services (PTS) vs Amex Travel

I've been a Platinum cardholder for a while, but I've never used the Platinum Travel Services. How does it differ from using the web-based travel portal?
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The web portal is run by Expedia. Customer service is terrible.
The telephone agents on PTS are "real" travel agents. Many folks here would gladly pay the $39 booking fee for the ability to talk with a competent agent, particularly if there was an issue with a reservation (like an airline schedule change).

Not sure if any of this has changed post-COVID though. I do occasionally think about the poor agents at our corporate travel agency (about 5-6 dedicated agents, some of whom have been serving us for 10+ years) that were likely laid off/furloughed.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:09 am

Dumb question... I imagine you forfeit any 5x earn for bookings made through PTS?
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
Dumb question... I imagine you forfeit any 5x earn for bookings made through PTS?
You know, I really thought they were, but the T&Cs on hotels only mentions amextravel.com and not Amex Travel Services like the flights T&Cs do.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
BUT, I do believe you earn 5x MR points for any prepaid bookings made with Amex FHR whether online or on the phone.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 2:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I do not see any mention of PTS in the 5X bonus terms:

5X Points on Travel:
You will get one point for each dollar charged for an eligible purchase on your Platinum Card® or Business Platinum Card® from American Express. You will get 4 additional points (for a total of 5 points) for each dollar spent on eligible travel purchases made on amextravel.com. Eligible travel purchases include the following purchases made on amextravel.com: scheduled flights, prepaid hotel purchases (including hotels and flight+hotel packages), minus returns and other credits. Eligible travel purchases do NOT include non-prepaid hotel bookings, car rentals or cruise purchases, hotel group reservations or events, ticketing service, cancellation or other fees, interest charges, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. To be eligible for the 5x Membership Rewards® points, you must both reserve and charge the travel purchase with the same eligible Platinum Card® or Business Platinum Card®. To modify a reservation you must cancel and rebook your reservation. You can cancel and rebook your reservation on amextravel.com or by calling a representative of amextravel.com at 1-800-297-2977. Cancellations are subject to hotel cancellation penalty policies. If hotel reservations are made or modified directly with the hotel provider, the reservation will not be eligible for this 5X Membership Rewards® point benefit. For Business Platinum Card Members, extra points for air, prepaid hotel, and travel packages will be credited to the Membership Rewards account 10-12 weeks after final payment is made. Bonuses you may receive with your Card on other purchase categories or in connection with promotions or offers from American Express may not be combined with this benefit. Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not qualify for additional points if the merchant's code is not eligible. The benefits associated with the Additional Card(s) you choose may be different than the benefits associated with your basic Card.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 8:02 pm

Can someone verify the amex travel web portal is still Expedia site with a Amex skin? I thought that changed.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 9:11 pm
mia

See here, last updated 11.11.2020

Online travel agency Service Providers include Expedia, Inc. (“OTA”), which is a business organized and operating in the United States that has been selected by us to provide you with the ability to search for and book certain travel services. Payment for reservations/purchases made through OTA shall be made to OTA, if OTA is the merchant of record, or to the applicable Supplier, if the Supplier is the merchant of record. The OTA's seller of travel registration numbers are: *California: 2029030-50; Florida: ST-31901; Hawaii: TAR-5461; Iowa: 601; Washington: 601975803
https://www.americanexpress.com/en-u...nd-conditions/

Once upon a time the contract was held by Travelocity, and then Orbitz. Both are now owed by Expedia.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imnotalawyer
Well you get 5x for all airline charges regardless of booking channel, so I guess it's really only hotels where you might lose out. I think booking a hotel on the website is probably less risky than an airline ticket, so you can continue to do that.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:04 am
mia

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well you get 5x for all airline charges regardless of booking channel.....
This is accurate for personal Platinum, but not for Business Platinum.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Certain bonuses and rates are only available if you book on the web (e.g., 5x on prepaid FHR). In those instances, you're forced to use Amex Travel if you want the bonus/rate. Otherwise, it does make sense to book through PTS to avoid the potential Expedia nightmare.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:17 am

As someone new to FHR, do those prepaid FHR stays still qualify as eligible rates with the big chains? Specifically thinking of Hyatt...
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:21 am
mia

Originally Posted by synergistic
.... prepaid FHR stays still qualify as eligible rates with the big chains?...
Begin reading at post 398: FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas]
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by mia
Thank you! It appears the answer is 'maybe, sometimes' which isn't surprising at all. I'll probably stick to postpaid stays for properties I need the nights credit for.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Thanks for the info, very useful. So booking an airline ticket with PTS involves a $39 fee by Amex. Then if I want the airline to make any changes there will be the $50 fee by the airline, right?

Do the PTS agents have access to special fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.