Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum airline fee $200 reimbursement reports: AS only (2024)

Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
To read previous reports, click HERE.

You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase: http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or-
"Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Gift certificates purchases are not reimbursed since 2017.

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 15, 2024, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Location: Rarely in one place long. Vancouver, WA when that happens.
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, AA LifePlat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Dmd, gave up on Hilton

What used to work for me with Alaska seems to have stopped. Nothing reimbursed so far in 2024 and everything I can think of that they say they reimburse is covered by my 100k status with Alaska etc. Yikes. Sometimes am on AA. Seems like AMEX is saving themselves $200. Grrr. Any advice welcomed.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by kiowavt
What used to work for me with Alaska seems to have stopped. Nothing reimbursed so far in 2024 and everything I can think of that they say they reimburse is covered by my 100k status with Alaska etc. Yikes. Sometimes am on AA. Seems like AMEX is saving themselves $200. Grrr. Any advice welcomed.
last year it was anything EXCEPT airfare (premium seats, food on board, etc) and only on one airline of your choosing.

now this year it's supposed to be ONLY airfare, and it doesn't matter what airline.

i charged some airfare on AS on january 6 and i have not seen any reimbursement yet.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:42 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
last year it was anything EXCEPT airfare ....now this year it's supposed to be ONLY airfare, and it doesn't matter what airline.
These change apply only to Aspire. Nothing has changed for Platinum cards.

Aspire cardholders should now post here: Report Hilton Aspire $50 x 4 Flight Credit experiences (All Airlines)
JfromTheBay likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jan 15, 2024 at 2:56 pm
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
What have you tried unsuccessfully so far?

In past years I booked a cheap flight, added PC seats, and canceled the flight for wallet credit. The seats were reimbursed. You would need to book for someone else as you get free PC seats as a 100k. No idea if this still works; I just switched to UA as teh travel bank is so much easier.
kiowavt likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't done anything in 2024, but renewed AS lounge membership in late December and got the credit before the end of December without having to call this time.

I don't see that there's much you can use it for on AS if you're already a 100K - if I wasn't using it for lounge membership I'd probably switch it to UA and spend it on E+ for those few times I need to fly UA.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, AA LifePlat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Dmd, gave up on Hilton
I believe that’s only for the Hilton Aspire card. The Platinum card is still all the little expenses I avoid. Without the $200 savings the card is looking like a loser for me. Can’t see renewing it. Darn.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I believe thats only for the Hilton Aspire card.
Sorry, what does that refer to?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Sorry, what does that refer to?
My bad and someone else already pointed it out but I somehow did not see their response. Eujeanie mentioned changes but those were changes to the Hilton Aspire card air credits. The Amex Platinum seems to have kept the hard-to-use reimbursements. I have the Alaska Lounge+ for being 100k. I dont need seat upgrades. I made a flight change but I was only charged the difference, $30 but have not been reimbursed. I booked a miles ticket and the taxes also not reimbursed. Annoying. Chase Sapphire is so very much simpler, any travel, so I am likely to keep that and leave Platinum as soon as I am able.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:50 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
DP: I had to call in, but I was able to get credit for my late December 2023 premium class charges. They did not code automatically.

There was a bit of a back and forth with the agent that yes, this is for 2023 and that no, I did not hit the $200 limit there (since I changed my airline for 2024 and have already max'ed out the credit). But they did issue the credits after all of that.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 9:02 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, AC, BA, UA
Same in 2024: 5xPC seat selection charges across Jan. 1-4 did not trigger automatically, but the chat agent was able to manually apply them. This was my second chat, btw, as the first time I got "wait 2-4 weeks" and then tried again after ~3 weeks and the agent manually applied the credits.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Same, so far. I did two seat selections that posted on January 13, one for $35 (exit row) and one for $10. (This was a one-way ticket I booked with wallet funds about to expire, and hope to cancel back to the wallet again soon.) Neither has triggered the credit yet. For some reason, AS seems to be one of the worst about automatically crediting even for obviously eligible charges, where as cheap WN flights and UA Travelbank seem to post no problem even though they shouldn't. I could ask for this in chat in a few weeks, but I may just decide to forget it and switch to UA as long as Travel Bank keeps working.... but I would probably kill trick that if I tried it.

In your situation, if almost all eligible AS charges are already covered by being 100K, I might switch it to AA since you say you fly them at times.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I had two PC seat charges for last year (at $17.99 a pop) that didn't credit. I spoke to AMEX a couple of days ago and after some pushback they agreed to credit them. They tried to argue that they were upgrades. I disputed that and simply said they were seat assignment charges. They were happy with that and so the credits appeared today. My challenge is also that there's very little I can use the credits on. I am BAEC Gold so pretty much everything would be covered by status. It really is only PC seats or F&B in coach - and it's not that often that I fly coach.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I feel like there is too much mystery here. I've had status that covers PS on many flights for a couple years, and also have had no trouble capturing the credits. At the risk of spelling it out too much:
1. Use it on PS for someone else or food if that makes sense - for example sometimes I pay for my parents if they're coming to visit.
2. If you truly have no use for it as above, purchase a ticket for a future date. Do not include your AS number if you would get PS free no matter what (75k/100k). Simpler if this isn't on your platinum so that you don't have to figure out which credit you're asking for.
3. In a second transaction, which can be moments later, pay for a premium seat selection. Short flights tend to be small costs. Long flights tend to be more like 100-150 per transaction.
4. Wait at least 4 weeks from the transaction to ensure you don't waste your time by getting told to check back after 4 weeks. Using chat, ask to receive credit for the seat selection fees. Whether or not you still have an existing reservation with AS is immaterial (and certainly don't need to discuss with Amex agent) - Amex agreed to credit for purchase of seat selection fees made with the Platinum.
5. At some point greater than 24 hours after the purchase of the flight, if you do not need to use this ticket, you can cancel and credit all of this to your AS wallet - I'm not lucky enough to be a business flyer and have to buy all my own tickets, thus never have trouble using my wallet funds.

Have done this with Platinum and Aspire x 2 for a few years running without ever having a problem. HUCA very helpful if you ever run into difficulty, it is clearly within the terms of their program to refund seat selection even if AS tends to code these incorrectly.
dayone likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:25 pm

Yes, the key when interacting with a phone or chat agent is to use the term "seat selection". I wasted time in a chat session when I used the term "seat upgrade" for which the agent said the credit was not valid. Silly me for thinking Y > PE is an upgrade. HUCA'd after a day and had the credits in another couple of days.

These were for my son, as I too am under the curse of 100K.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 8:20 am

Wanted to report that my two Premium Class seat charges at the end of January were automatically credited by Amex yesterday.
I did not have to reach out for a manual request. Didn't expect the automatic credit at all.
ssk244 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.