Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion card (USA) refresh. Some benefits removed/added. $5k annual fee.

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by realdon
At least it looks good! I will remove and add my card again.
Thanks HawaiiSailor!
It may look better but the old physical card was much heavier and the paint didn’t chip off the edges with normal use.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, Amex Platinum, Citi TY Premier, Expedia Elite +, BA Silver
I was about to cancel my Centurion membership. Have my card plus two dependants, annual fees going from 7500 USD to 15k USD. But Amex has come to save day, and will keep the account:

For your Centurion Card we have added the following:
  • $2,000 Travel Credit - Beginning after your renewal through December 2021, you can earn up to $2,000 in statement credits after you use your Centurion Card to make eligible travel purchases through Centurion Membership Services. (More details to come)
  • Monthly Streaming Credit - Beginning May 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020 you will receive a monthly statement credit of $20 for streaming charges.
  • Monthly Wireless Credit- Beginning May 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020, you will receive a monthly statement credit of $20 for wireless charges.

So basically, based on the things I make use of:
1000 USD Saks credit
2000 USD in Travel Credit
160 Apple/Netflix credits
+ Centurion hotels

Things are looking pretty sweet and this makes the card worth it at least for another year.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I am eagerly awaiting something similar...
Old Jun 23, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
My relationship manager advises that there are different one time benefits for Personal vs. Business Cards as a result of Pandemic.
Personal gets what you listed. Business gets a "blanket" $1500 one time credit at renewal. Other benefits similar, if not the same.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
They don't. The only way to get Platinum status via CC now is through spend. $75k/yr. Now I don't know your definition, but I don't consider a $75k spend requirement a "give". Also it's the same requirement given to the legacy Chase Ritz cardholders.
easy, pay your taxes with it
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor
It may look better but the old physical card was much heavier and the paint didn’t chip off the edges with normal use.
yes, but it got "stuck" in many gas machines'
Old Jun 24, 2020, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by knownothing
yes, but it got "stuck" in many gas machines'
The worst was automatic parking machines. They’d eat the previous card and refuse to return it. That’s what the backup gold card was for. And for sketchy 7-11’s.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Platinum, Marriott lifetime Titanium Elite, Avis Chairman, most programs from the start
jerome88 I have trouble following your math. Your fee goes up $7,500 and your benefits go up by a maximum of $3,160 and that is a sweet deal? I see you live in NY. I have a bridge to sell for for a "sweet" price.
GNALUZU likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2020, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MrWizard
jerome88 I have trouble following your math. Your fee goes up $7,500 and your benefits go up by a maximum of $3,160 and that is a sweet deal? I see you live in NY. I have a bridge to sell for for a "sweet" price.
For those of us who don't travel as much as we did when younger, the benes are sweet (esp Hertz, meet and greet at airports, etx)
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
I got this from Equinox today:

In accordance with the recent California government mandate and with our community in mind, all Equinox Southern California club locations will be closed as of Tuesday, July 14 until further notice. Your membership is now on freeze until we re-open and credit will remain on your account for any cancelled services including Personal Training, Pilates and Spa.
Since Amex's fees to Equinox are on freeze, does that mean a portion of our AF is on freeze too? Seems like the fair thing to do rather than profiting off of the COVID-19 closures.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by tangfish
I got this from Equinox today:

Since Amex's fees to Equinox are on freeze, does that mean a portion of our AF is on freeze too? Seems like the fair thing to do rather than profiting off of the COVID-19 closures.
I am gonna guess that the answer to your question is an astounding "no".
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:19 pm

More from Equinox again today,

"As a reminder, your Equinox+ membership is currently on-freeze and you will not be charged membership dues until your home club reopens."
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
$2500 gym membership

The idea to bump the AF by $2,500 and throw in a gym membership is disappointing and completely tone deaf. Maybe it fits with the lifestyle angle for a personal centurion card, on a business card it’s inappropriate. I won’t broach the “fitness app” subscriptions?! Who actually comes up with this stuff...is it a question of Amex gets it for free and then passes it off as a benefit with the supplier hoping for up-sell to affluent clientele?

I actually question whether the business centurion is even a business card at this point. How about an annual centurion travel credit instead of a gym membership? Then there is the whole sticky point of Covid 19 and the gyms themselves being closed (assuming you live in an area where equinox even operates).

And on a final note, who’s hair brained idea was it to try and peddle overpriced wines to centurion members that can be bought for substantially less at your local BevMo while calling it a benefit?!?
Is centurion a product; or are we as “centurion members” the product?
Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
The idea to bump the AF by $2,500 and throw in a gym membership is disappointing and completely tone deaf. Maybe it fits with the lifestyle angle for a personal centurion card, on a business card it’s inappropriate. I won’t broach the “fitness app” subscriptions?! Who actually comes up with this stuff...is it a question of Amex gets it for free and then passes it off as a benefit with the supplier hoping for up-sell to affluent clientele?

I actually question whether the business centurion is even a business card at this point. How about an annual centurion travel credit instead of a gym membership? Then there is the whole sticky point of Covid 19 and the gyms themselves being closed (assuming you live in an area where equinox even operates).

And on a final note, who’s hair brained idea was it to try and peddle overpriced wines to centurion members that can be bought for substantially less at your local BevMo while calling it a benefit?!?
Everything you say here is exactly how I see it, as a Business Centurion member for nearly 20 years now, they have lost their way.

Raising the AF and then just giving us roughly the same amount in arbitrary and irrelevant “benefits” is not appreciated. I realize all benefits are arbitrary but after a very short stint of seemingly paying attention to needs that were relevant to a Business card, they reversed course and went way to the other extreme in a frankly insulting choice of the Equinox membership and to a lesser degree the Saks shopping.

Neither one of these speaks to my needs as a business owner. The Saks credit is akin to forcing me to buy gift cards to a store I don’t even like or shop at. But the Equinox is the biggest insult. While some are happy because they drive past several locations on their existing commute, others (like me) don’t have an Equinox location within 1,000 miles! To add insult to injury I was forced to choose a “home club” so I just picked a random one, which as the emails stated is closed due to COVID. Equinox spams me incessantly with offers for services at this location and others, which are of zero value to me since I am two states away, and no matter who I talk to there is no way to stop their marketing blasts and upsell attempts.

Amex, if you’re reading this thread, this shut down of many Equinox locations and the future of gyms in general as it relates to public health is a perfect time to use the “act of god” clause in your deal with Equinox. Undo the mistake and get rid of this “benefit” or at least make it a choice between a few so that those geographically unable to make use of it have an alternative.

Please acknowledge that Business Centurion members have different needs and preferences than Personal Centurion members. Vastly different. It’s not an issue of money, it’s one of VALUE. I don’t care if they increase the AF as long as the benefits being offered are in the general ballpark of something that helps me as a businessperson.
Old Jul 20, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
Maybe they figure if you pay the exorbitant annual fee for the charge card you're likely to overpay for wine too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.