Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:49 pm

So what about airports that have no lounge at all? Can we no longer use Amex Platinum for credit at designated restaurants?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgriff
Attributing a lot of value to FHR has to ignore that you can get 85% of the same value from Virtuoso and other travel agent-driven programs for free.
Very true, but the Virtuoso or other programs may not give the "ego-stroke" that using FHR would give to some who value such feeling. just sayin.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Happy
Very true, but the Virtuoso or other programs may not give the "ego-stroke" that using FHR would give to some who value such feeling. just sayin.
Not about ego for me. I’ve heard of Virtuoso but know little about it. Do you have to work with an agent? I prefer to book things myself.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, an important difference is that FHR guarantees the 4 pm late checkout while Virtuoso can only request it, although some hotels apparently are willing to confirm it shortly after the reservation is made.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To me, an important difference is that FHR guarantees the 4 pm late checkout while Virtuoso can only request it, although some hotels apparently are willing to confirm it shortly after the reservation is made.
I had a Virtuous booking in May; did not get complimentary upgrade, but upgraded to suite at a reduced cost...did not get early check-in (was only an hour before regular check-in, and got a 2pm checkout
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Anyone know if hotels give priority to FHR or Virtuoso for upgrades?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by dhuey
Anyone know if hotels give priority to FHR or Virtuoso for upgrades?
We are WAY OFF TOPIC
EdV, kennycrudup and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:06 am

Amex PP

I think lowering the limit to $20-25 or a fixed number of uses per month would keep everyone happy - the $28 is high on an unlimited basis. The restaurants will hurt too -seems like s huge number of PP patrons
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
So getting Amex Plat in the UK is a bit rubbish now
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:03 am

Will this affect those of us who use it through Chase Sapphire?

I have AMEX but also Chase Sapphire and believe that my Priority Pass was actually through CS. Does anyone know if this benefit still stands with that card?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by gabmd
I have AMEX but also Chase Sapphire and believe that my Priority Pass was actually through CS. Does anyone know if this benefit still stands with that card?
Currently this only applies to AMEX.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gabmd
I have AMEX but also Chase Sapphire and believe that my Priority Pass was actually through CS.
If you aren't sure, check your PP card number with post 15.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
FWIW, I called Amex Canada at lunch and asked "if the recent PP changes affecting Amex USA also affect Amex Canada", and was told they do not at this time...only data point I've seen for Canada
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:55 pm

This is beyond irritating. I just switched to an AMEX premium card from the sapphire because it better aligned with a brand I frequent. I closed the Sapphire TWO days ago not knowing of this change.

If they're kicking me out of the only offering in my city they should be granting me access to the Centurion here in lieu.

I called AMEX just now and the guy on the phone said they have "no official reports" on his end substantiating this but he can see all the news articles. He opened a ticket on my behalf to get an answer and possible compensation.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:50 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
The restaurant benefit always seemed to be a bit weird for "lounge access" but certainly had value in cities where lounges were limited or non-existent. I'll be interested to see if CSR follows suit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.