Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:44 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by mia
I don't think they do care. The public reason that a company uses to justify a decision need not bear any relationship to the private reasons that motivated that decision.
True.

I guess the better way to state my question would be “I wonder what drove AX’s private motivations which lead them to this decision and what alternatives, if any, were discussed internally?”
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The fact that Priority Pass has not reacted suggests, to me, that negotiations between Priority Pass and American Express are ongoing. American Express has an "advance notice" culture, but it's also a negotiating tool. This will be painful for Priority Pass to implement with only 60 days notice. I think we aren't done.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by J.Edward
I guess the better way to state my question would be “I wonder what drove AX’s private motivations which lead them to this decision and what alternatives, if any, were discussed internally?”
Ummm.... money.

Regards
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by J.Edward
From my limited perspective the REAL issue here is utilization. Sure $20 is $20 is $20 but if PPass members are more likely to hit up a restaurant at an airport when they would NOT have hit up a PPass lounge (FWIW I would probably not go to the AF/KL lounge at IAH BUT would go to the restaurants there) then you’ve got a utilization issue where it becomes $20 x [ however many EXTRA visits due ONLY to the fact the vendor’s a restaurant ] comes into play.
It's obvious to me that that is the case. It certainly isn't any notion that Amex is trying to preserve the prestige of a lounge visit or anything like that.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
FWIW, I spoke to a server at one of the PDX PP-accepting restaurants and in their words "the writing was on the wall" because of the abuse she was seeing (multiple visits in a day, multiple restaurant visits, etc.).

... so as we'd all suspected, "This is why we can't have nice things"
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
FWIW, I spoke to a server at one of the PDX PP-accepting restaurants and in their words "the writing was on the wall" because of the abuse she was seeing (multiple visits in a day, multiple restaurant visits, etc.).

... so as we'd all suspected, "This is why we can't have nice things"
Be careful... many in this forum don't like it when this simple, almost self evident concept is pointed out.

Regards
EdV, Statman and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
While I have no doubt there was abuse from travelers and airport/airline employees, I'm curious if anyone knows what if any controls/auditing existed between the restaurant and PP?

Otherwise, given there didn't even seem to be a requirement at some places to verify boarding passes, what's to prevent a restaurant owner from signing up for and scanning their own PP cards once every N hours? And their staff...
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
... given there didn't even seem to be a requirement at some places to verify boarding passes ...
I hadn't used the (restaurant) benefit in a while (as I try to time my time airside to be as short as possible) but I did note they actually scanned my BP yesterday, which was a first for me.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is clear from the rules of the program that restaurants (and lounges) are SUPPOSED to ask for proof of a same-day flight from people wanting to use PP there. Obviously, that has not been happening in most cases.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:31 pm

Well, considering everyone eating/visiting such would have one of these by default, the issue really comes down to using it to track PP spending, which I'm surprised wasn't implemented as of day one.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Well, considering everyone eating/visiting such would have one of these by default, the issue really comes down to using it to track PP spending, which I'm surprised wasn't implemented as of day one.
​​​​​​Right, although since neither PP nor the restaurant really have any incentive to police this as long as they're getting paid, the impetus would've had to come from AMEX saying to PP "we will only pay you for visits associated with verified BP scans".
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I expect amex will see some attrition to chase and other options (ie CNB) from those who like the restaurants. CNB also allows unlimited lounge guests.
Or those of us that have multiple PP cards will not change their spending patterns but rather change their PP card. I know I'll only travel with my Chase issued PP card post Aug 1.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:58 am

Airport/Airline employees can have Priority Pass and no boarding pass. There's surely plenty of abuse there.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Airport/Airline employees can have Priority Pass and no boarding pass. There's surely plenty of abuse there.
Yes, and I think that’s probably been a concern with lounge access for a long time. The free food & drink at restaurants really increases the incentives for both cardholders and restaurants to game the system.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by dhuey

Yes, and I think that’s probably been a concern with lounge access for a long time. The free food & drink at restaurants really increases the incentives for both cardholders and restaurants to game the system.
limit 10 per year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.