Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
Or drop the guest benefit, or the dollar amount of credit.
Yeah I mean if it was $10 off food at these restaurants, 25 times a year max, that's still a good deal. Not a super sweet deal like we currently have, but at least it's not like the benefit is just falling off a cliff.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Also found myself wondering what happens with MSP.

The golf-lounge has its food brought up to order. But it’s not a “restaurant” like LAX’s PF Chang’s or SEA’s Floret, etc.

I’d grab a snack at the French Market downstairs and then go upstairs to the golf lounge to sit and eat it while awaiting a flight. Now... Go to the MSP lounge that has no food at all and even the bar is pretty low-service?

Old May 29, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Troopers
I understand the loss of benefit. Will you be replacing your Platinum with another Citi or Chase card with PP?
It's wait and see. Before this I was confident I'd renew Platinum card next year. Now that's in question. The saving grace for Amex is that I'm currently loyal to DL and it gets me into the Sky Clubs regardless of class or routes. However if that loyalty changes - it's changed before - those other cards would have equal chance to be my "premium" card while I'd downgrade my AE to a low-fee or no-fee one to preserve my MR account.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Really don’t understand how they can charge people $450 for an Aspire card, and then, two months later, say “the benefit you just paid for isn’t available to you any longer.”

And has anyone been notified of this removal of service from Amex? Or is a 3rd party blog post acceptable notification?
CARD act says you must provide 45 day notice for APR change or any other "significant change". for first year, just cannot raise rate unless 60 days delinquent or intro rate

so June 17th to properly notify existing holders

hilton ascend explicitly says "lounge visits". same for other amex cards
(taken feb 2019)
https://web.archive.org/web/20190226...ard/26129-10-0

Priority Pass Select membership provides access to airport lounges participating in the Priority Pass Select program. You must enroll your Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card in the Priority Pass™ Select program to access the benefits. Your Priority Pass Membership year begins on the date you enroll. Once enrolled, you will receive your Priority Pass Select card directly from Priority Pass within 10-14 business days. There is no membership fee with your Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card. With your Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card you will receive 10 complimentary lounge visits each Priority Pass Membership year.
chase CSR says lounge/restaurant/cafe (for now...). click on Offer Details.

looks like it was added May 24 2018 (along with the unlimited->2 guest change)
https://web.archive.org/web/20180516...pphire-reserve
https://web.archive.org/web/20180524...pphire-reserve

Priority Pass™ Select Membership
One time activation required. Priority Pass Select membership includes access to airport lounges, restaurants, cafes and markets participating in the Priority Pass Select network

Last edited by paperwastage; May 29, 2019 at 9:46 pm
Old May 29, 2019, 9:42 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by Javier1704
This may be just me, but I think Amex is trying to move to an "exclusive experience" type of card. No offense, but Priority Pass restaurant benefit is just attracting churners and millennial who get overly excited about "free food" at airports.That's what the CSR is for, a low "high" tier card with an $150 annual fee... for churners.
I don't think that's the demographic Amex wants to target, they want people with higher income who value good food and enjoy having exclusive menus and courtesy drinks at high end restaurants (like with their Global Dining Collection). This may be the reason why they chose to acquire Resy. Looking forward to see what they come up with.
I agree that the Platinum Card is no longer a "status symbol" and I think that's what Amex is trying to "regain". Personally, I'm fine with Amex dropping this if this means more exclusive perks at certain events by Amex, more Centurion Lounges and more pro small businesses marketing (like their Instagram account promoting small stores and restaurants at various cities). I see this card as a membership: hotel status, purchase protection, exclusive events, courtesy drinks and special menus at restaurants, etc.
But here's the thing: Chase also has exclusive perks at events plus restaurant and wine experiences - so their card has a membership aspect to it as well. A common strategy in my social circles in San Francisco among couples (under-35 DINK) is for one person to have a CSR and their spouse an Amex Plat in order to maximize access. This is often a better deal than making your spouse an AU, because the "effective annual fees" (fees minus credits actually used) are quite low.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

The golf-lounge has its food brought up to order. But it’s not a “restaurant” like LAX’s PF Chang’s or SEA’s Floret, etc.

I’d grab a snack at the French Market downstairs and then go upstairs to the golf lounge to sit and eat it while awaiting a flight. Now... Go to the MSP lounge that has no food at all and even the bar is pretty low-service?

I'm confused. I thought MSP had a couple restaurants (although the airport is changing its F&B offerings so that one place I thought was in PP no longer has an airport T1 location), but when I checked the PP website earlier today, it said something about getting a F&B voucher at the PGA check in desk. I didn't see any restaurants listed for MSP.

However, I'm a fan of the Escape lounge and I also have DL SC access, so I've never explored the MSP PP options. I was just thinking about whether PP would be good for wine to go (to the destination) in the place across from the former Surdyk's location that seems to similarly sell bottles of wine as well as some cans and cardboard containers of wine. However, my search resulted in no participating restaurants at MSP (and nothing at my destination airport either).
Old May 29, 2019, 10:22 pm

I guess the thing I learned from this is that the Priority Pass "membership" that comes with credit cards isn't actually a membership. It seems basically the credit card companies pay per use for the cardholder, whereas Priority Pass is the one that eats the bill if someone actually buys a membership from them.
So basically Amex is balking at the difference in fees in restaurants vs lounges? Restaurants costs more.
Unless it is actually that many people don't use lounges but use restaurants (because they are more plentifully available).
Old May 29, 2019, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

If you have Amex Plat, you have access to the Escape Lounge, right next to the PGA lounge. Escape is way better than PGA.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So there is a fee hike for the platinum card and decreased benefits? Real "enhancement"
Fee hike? You mean the $550 or it's going up again?
Old May 30, 2019, 1:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by dhuey
If you have Amex Plat, you have access to the Escape Lounge, right next to the PGA lounge. Escape is way better than PGA.

I'm a Hilton pointslut, so... Aspire. It's the Amex that really works well for me, and the PP dining benefit was definitely a considered/factored-in part of ponying up the $450 annual fee. I'm going to look into the Chase CSR offering, but will wait until seeing if they jump off this train as well.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Also Amex can negotiate these same deals with the restaurants as an amex offer or bill credit and cut out the middle man if they wanted..
Amex has already done something like that in a very small way, but it’s been direct bill to Amex for some of those airport FBE spots and it’s usually been a rather time limited association.

Since Amex is in cost-cutting mode, I am just waiting to see if they try to limit the airline fee credit cost by moving it into something like the Saks and Uber statement credit structure whereby the total annual credit benefit is split so as to increase benefit breakage likelihood.

I would be surprised if Amex doesn’t also try to increase annual card fee revenue for the Plat product by raising the annual fee before the US economy goes into a recession.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:36 am

I'm a Hilton pointslut, so... Aspire. It's the Amex that really works well for me, and the PP dining benefit was definitely a considered/factored-in part of ponying up the $450 annual fee. I'm going to look into the Chase CSR offering, but will wait until seeing if they jump off this train as well.
I just upgraded my Ascend to Aspire last week, as I have 20 hotel days coming in August with a dozen airport visits, looks like I just missed out on this benefit. Can't apply for CSR until next year.
Old May 30, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Xlr
But here's the thing: Chase also has exclusive perks at events plus restaurant and wine experiences - so their card has a membership aspect to it as well. A common strategy in my social circles in San Francisco among couples (under-35 DINK) is for one person to have a CSR and their spouse an Amex Plat in order to maximize access. This is often a better deal than making your spouse an AU, because the "effective annual fees" (fees minus credits actually used) are quite low.
True.

Although, aside from the Sapphire lounge at NYC (something really amazing Chase is doing), most events happen in California. Does Chase has restaurant experiences?
Old May 30, 2019, 6:27 am

The gamers spoiled it for the masses.

Agreed that a limit on visits would have been a better approach, this would have nearly painlessly shut down the multiple visits per day by some travelers, and those by airport terminal workers that could have been dining daily, multiple times as well.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Javier1704
Just the churners.
The only thing that makes churners cancel this card is the 2nd annual fee posting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.