Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2023, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Your best bet going forward is to use the Amex app to see which lounges are included - it will show not just the applicable PP lounges but also any non-PP lounges also included that you can access with your platinum card (Centurion, Escape, Delta, some Plaza Premium-affiliated lounges, etc)
Your best bet is to get a CSR or another card (Citi?) that includes restaurants, and jettison Amex.
Mama and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Your best bet is to get a CSR or another card (Citi?) that includes restaurants, and jettison Amex.
Am UK based, so sadly none of those are available to us here. But point taken.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Originally Posted by csycsycsy
Hello, will Berlin airport's Moevenpick Cafe still work, despite being listed as "Eat" on PP?

https://www.prioritypass.com/lounges...oevenpick-cafe
https://global.americanexpress.com/l...9?locale=en-US
Local set to "en-US" as I'll be flying with a companion who has an US issued Plat.
So in theory if the companion guests me, we would get 46 eur off the bill?

My Plat is issued in Spain and weirdly has no lounges listed for BER
https://global.americanexpress.com/l...R?locale=es-ES

Thank you!
Reporting back, this is what 46eur gets in BER's movenpick "Eat". No problems going for multi rounds using multiple PP cards
Old Feb 24, 2024, 11:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by ziggy29
Not a lot -- YET -- but if Chase continues to build out its own (mostly) exclusive Sapphire Lounge network AND they keep the restaurant benefit (unlike Amex and Cap One), Amex would be stupid to not think about a counter. I'm pretty sure they aren't stupid. Again, I think they are looking more at the next few quarters of earnings reports than the long game, which is all too often Wall Street thinking. Sure, the next few quarters won't see a massive opening of a Chase Sapphire lounge network, since that takes time. But ultimately I think they will have to respond. I guess one thing is that you can restore a restaurant benefit a lot faster than you can build new lounges, so if Amex really feels threatened by Chase in this space, they can react fairly quickly.
Given that the first two Priority Pass partners to carve out the restaurants were the first two to open their own lounges, it might be more reasonable to expect Chase to drop restaurants as they scale out the Sapphire lounges. A big part of the thinking behind opening lounges in all three cases is that a more fixed cost to cater a lounge beats unbounded variable cost from PP swipes, especially in markets where the issuer wants to build a cardholder base.

​​​​​​
Old Feb 24, 2024, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chase will never “scale out” lounges. It’s a bank. And Jamie has been cutting back the perks since CPC and CSR were rolled out to the masses.

Amex see itself as a conglomerate with a long history in the travel biz. And still promotes itself as a premium product even though many of its cards utilize a coupon-book scheme and anybody with a pulse can get a card now.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by hhdl
Given that the first two Priority Pass partners to carve out the restaurants were the first two to open their own lounges, it might be more reasonable to expect Chase to drop restaurants as they scale out the Sapphire lounges. A big part of the thinking behind opening lounges in all three cases is that a more fixed cost to cater a lounge beats unbounded variable cost from PP swipes, especially in markets where the issuer wants to build a cardholder base.​
Well, this is one of those times where it feels hard to be a beancounter. On one hand, you would think that offering a restaurant benefit could potentially play a part in alleviating the lounge overcrowding problem, and it may be a cheaper solution than constantly building and expanding more lounges. On the other hand, I don't suspect the restaurant benefit moves the needle TOO much in terms of whether or not someone gets the Platinum card. (There may be a few who select the CSR who cite that as a factor, but it likely not often the overriding reason.) And as long as the Amex beancounters think they aren't losing $695 (plus AU fees) times whatever number of people per year for not offering the PP restaurant benefit.

So looping back to Chase, they have to ask themselves when it makes sense to build more lounges and expand existing lounges (in the future), or if it might make sense to offer a restaurant benefit to reduce pressure on lounge admissions.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 7:57 pm

Anyone with a pulse can also get a Chase CSR. And it is also a coupon book. Let's not pretend you are in some exclusive club. The club just have less members because it sucks.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ziggy29
<snip>On the other hand, I don't suspect the restaurant benefit moves the needle TOO much in terms of whether or not someone gets the Platinum card.
If you pay attention to Amex earning reports and investor calls, with the documented growth of issued Platinum cards over say the last five years, it's a pretty much inescapable conclusion that not offering restaurants via PP has not harmed Amex even one iota. Average cardholders likely don't care (nor even know/understand). The only ones obsessing about it are FT types, trying to maximize every penny of the annual fee and frankly, we probably aren't too profitable to Amex anyhow.

Regards
Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by commaspace
Anyone with a pulse can also get a Chase CSR. And it is also a coupon book. Let's not pretend you are in some exclusive club. The club just have less members because it sucks.
CSR is not a "coupon book". It has a $300 travel credit that requires no special registration and typically (for me) is fully used in the first 10 days of the year. For sure CSR is not exclusive nor has it ever claimed to be. For that you need the JPM Reserve of which there are purportedly only 5k issued, including Obama and me LOL.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
CSR is not a "coupon book". It has a $300 travel credit that requires no special registration and typically (for me) is fully used in the first 10 days of the year. For sure CSR is not exclusive nor has it ever claimed to be. For that you need the JPM Reserve of which there are purportedly only 5k issued, including Obama and me LOL.
It's a coupon book: "$1200 in partner value". Lyft bicycle sub? Door Dash? Instacart? Peloton credit?

A pathetic coupon book with a puny lounge "network". I'm good not pissing away money for pathetic benefits.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
It's three-for-three now on the "card issuer opens lounges, drops the Priority Pass restaurant benefit" heuristic (with each successive issuer having a shorter time from first lounge to dropping the benefit).

Edit to add: this presumably does not bode well for the "competitive pressure will bring back this benefit" hypothesis.

Last edited by hhdl; Mar 27, 2024 at 1:46 pm
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Chase is also ending participation in the Priority Pass restaurant benefit. I have moved discussion to the Chase forum, please post here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...erve-ritz.html
Old Mar 27, 2024, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Chase is also ending participation in the Priority Pass restaurant benefit. I have moved discussion to the Chase forum, please post here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...erve-ritz.html
Can't help but chuckle.
hhdl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.