Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by mia
The exclusion apparently applies to UK accounts, see THIS post. I have updated the thread title.
Canadian Platinum had this removed a month after USA Platinum...I have another PP thru a Visa Infinite card for when we need the restaurant access but still annoying
Old Nov 14, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I've tried several times and failed to get in the Centurion lounge at SFO. Your only recourse is to wait in line or go elsewhere - you will not get a restaurant voucher
What time of day and day of the week have you failed to get in? I have a Friday flight next month that departs around 7:30 so will probably try to access the Centurion around 5:30-6.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by theranj
Canadian Platinum had this removed a month after USA Platinum...I have another PP thru a Visa Infinite card for when we need the restaurant access but still annoying
To my knowledge, neither American Express nor Priority Pass actually say on their website that the restaurant benefit doesn't apply. I had to find out the hard way.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by m907
To my knowledge, neither American Express nor Priority Pass actually say on their website that the restaurant benefit doesn't apply. I had to find out the hard way.
If you have the Amex Priority Pass number added on the Priority Pass app, no restaurants will show up when you search for a lounge.
mia, cuthroat, IndyHoosier and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
What time of day and day of the week have you failed to get in? I have a Friday flight next month that departs around 7:30 so will probably try to access the Centurion around 5:30-6.
Typically mid-mornings. Granted - I'm not a stand in line kind of person, so can't say if I would have gotten in quickly or not. I have a United Club membership so just head over there.

My next trip via SFO is the day before Thanksgiving so I'm sure I'll get in - not.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Statman
If you have the Amex Priority Pass number added on the Priority Pass app, no restaurants will show up when you search for a lounge.
When I joined and found out the hard way, the website was completely broken and wouldn't show any locations when logged in, so there was legitimately no way to determine if any were ineligible. I pointed it out to them and they said "oh yeah, forgot about that, tough luck."
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by m907
When I joined and found out the hard way, the website was completely broken and wouldn't show any locations when logged in, so there was legitimately no way to determine if any were ineligible. I pointed it out to them and they said "oh yeah, forgot about that, tough luck."
At this point there are quite a few lounges that we have access to through Amex that aren't Priority Pass lounges (i.e., Plaza Premium, VS Clubhouses in USA), so I generally just use the American Express Global Lounge Collection search tool.
Statman, IndyHoosier and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chrisny2
At this point there are quite a few lounges that we have access to through Amex that aren't Priority Pass lounges (i.e., Plaza Premium, VS Clubhouses in USA), so I generally just use the American Express Global Lounge Collection search tool.
The lounge hours shown on there aren’t always accurate. Just something to keep in mind. Even some Amex-dedicated lounge may have less accurate hours of operation information showing up on that Amex search tool than would come up if using Google Maps to check out the location’s hours of operation.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
One of the Amex deficits that keeps Chase CSR (and I guess CapOne) in the mix. For some of us the restaurants are more valuable than the Amex lounges. I can be seated and eating at the Giants clubhouse before I get off the Amex SFO waitlist.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:37 pm

so done

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 1:48 pm
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
If you are in a country that offers Diners Club membership, Lounge+Priority Club Restaurants is a new perk that was just added.

Jiburi
Old May 6, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Does anyone know what happens if you use an Amex PP at a PP restaurant / massage. Does it reject it, or do you get a bill later (and does it tell you at the time of acceptance)?
Old May 7, 2022, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by italdesign
Does anyone know what happens if you use an Amex PP at a PP restaurant / massage. Does it reject it, or do you get a bill later (and does it tell you at the time of acceptance)?
The one time I unwittingly tried it at a DCA restaurant, the server asked if my PP membership was through Amex & then delivered the sad news. Note that the rules for the restaurants at DCA—and presumably everywhere else—require you to show your PP card up front:
To be eligible, Cardholders must present a valid Card and Boarding Pass with confirmed same-day travel before placing an order.
You’d think the eatery would have some obligation, just like a lounge, to confirm that your membership is good before serving you.
Old May 7, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by beltway

You’d think the eatery would have some obligation, just like a lounge, to confirm that your membership is good before serving you.
Do most restaurants you frequent confirm your payment method before serving you? Most sit down restaurants don’t place a hold on your credit card before ordering. PP is just a payment method.

A lounge may be membership only, even if via day pass, but most restaurants are not.
Old May 9, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Segments
Do most restaurants you frequent confirm your payment method before serving you? Most sit down restaurants don’t place a hold on your credit card before ordering. PP is just a payment method.

A lounge may be membership only, even if via day pass, but most restaurants are not.
I noticed restaurants in airports that are PP have posted signs right at the entrance stating they no longer accept AMEX PP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.