Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 3:52 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
If PP is ending the benefit, does it mean Chase/Citi cards will lose this benefit too?
It would if Priority Pass is actually terminating the feature, but that's not the way it was presented in the original reports. It's always a challenge to separate fact from speculation until there are official announcements. I would not take any action based on this discussion.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
For LAX this effectively means no PP options for most of the airport for most of the day.

The totally airside-isolated T1 will have zero options.
The T2 VS lounge is only open to PP until 11:30am (to 10:45am in other parts of the year).
The TBIT KE lounge is only open to PP 1-7pm (12-6pm in other parts of the year) and during those hours it's a zoo and they'll frequently reject PP.
The T6 AS lounge has a "we're not able to admit Priority Pass" sign out almost permanently.

There are reports that AMEX is building a Centurion lounge in TBIT. They could've at least waited until that was open to drop this bomb on LAX travelers.

Last edited by Oakshadow; May 28, 2019 at 4:46 pm
Old May 28, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Amex has CONFIRMED the austerity measures for PP.

It looks like my brother and his family will be enjoying the legendary catering available at the KAL Lounge at TBIT. Perhaps AMEX can pull off a miracle and complete the Centurion Lounge before their vacation in November 2019. /s

Last edited by OUTraveling; May 28, 2019 at 5:29 pm Reason: Adding Photo
Old May 28, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very lame.....going to try to get my moneys worth for the next few months
c502cid likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 5:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Looks like this is still around for Canada, judging by the results from AmEx's lounge searcher: https://global.americanexpress.com/lounge-access/the-platinum-card/LAX

Or maybe I'm extrapolating. Do US cards have the same thing?
Old May 28, 2019, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
It's $15/mo (a little higher in December, can't remember how much). "Enough for perhaps one ride" is probably the wrong way of looking at it. It reduces my Uber bill by $15/mo, times 12, that's $180 offset off the annual fee.
I would not value this at anything near $180 as I use Uber (and Lyft) infrequently - more in short bursts that coincide with daytrips to SF or overnight trips elsewhere. So I may have zero for a few months then $50-100 in a week. That's why Chase $300 travel credits and Amex Bonvoy (fka SPG) $300 Marriott credits are far more valuable to me. I can easily zero them out in a single month. I expect Amex loves the high breakage on the Uber credits.

Of course I don't have a Plat card ...
Old May 28, 2019, 6:39 pm
mia

Originally Posted by pewpew
Looks like this is still around for Canada,....
It's still around today for USA cardholders. The effective date is August 1, 2019.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I would not value this at anything near $180 as I use Uber (and Lyft) infrequently - more in short bursts that coincide with daytrips to SF or overnight trips elsewhere. So I may have zero for a few months then $50-100 in a week. That's why Chase $300 travel credits and Amex Bonvoy (fka SPG) $300 Marriott credits are far more valuable to me. I can easily zero them out in a single month. I expect Amex loves the high breakage on the Uber credits.

Of course I don't have a Plat card ...
Right, it's a benefit that doesn't work for everyone. The calculation can be pretty fluid, no doubt.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
Well, this made the cancel decision easy based on my own. travel patterns.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:49 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I have used this a number of times and each time all I could think was this can't last as it just is way too generous. As for AMEX fees, my card is Schwab so I get a nice rebate, airline credit (although a little harder to use now), Uber and Saks which means they are paying me to have the card and funding additional cards for the rest of the family. Throw in some Centurion Lounge visits and this is quite a deal. I never saw how they could give that much hard cash away at these PP restaurants and make it economically viable.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
This comes off as really poor execution and planning. Granted, the resturant benefit may well have been unsustainable under the current system but the resturants served a purpose.

This purpose was to offer an alternative to the lounge either through choice or rejection due to overcrowding. With this benefit removed, we will see cardholders with No Benefits when the PP lounges turn people away or when the terminal one is at does not have a PP lounge.

Certain actions could have been taken such as removing resturant benefits once a Centurion lounge at that airport opens in addition to allowing resturant visits if a lounge reaches capacity. This broadbrush and sudden change is grossly incompetent.

How can a top tier premium card have members who do not get top tier coverage.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
in addition to allowing resturant visits if a lounge reaches capacity
Does AmEx and/or PP have the ability to do this today? I feel like they might not and it may be difficult to do, but I could be wrong.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:27 pm
mia

Originally Posted by tmiw
Does AmEx and/or PP have the ability to do this today?
Centurion Lounge could give a voucher for use at airport restaurants when full. Priority Pass wouldn't be involved.

I think Priority Pass added the restaurant feature primarily to offset the lack of independent lounges at some airports, particularly in the USA. If it's true that Restaurants are getting $23 – $24 from Priority Pass for each $28 credit, Priority Pass priced it wrong, and if they are trying to pass the full cost back to their credit card sponsors I am not surprised that there is pushback.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
I have PP from more than one source, I must investigate.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bgriff
Can anyone remind me how to distinguish my CSR PP card from my Amex Plat PP card? IIRC the Chase one has 16 digits while the Amex one has fewer digits?

I mostly use the app
Since you know how to use the PP app, I recommend you also use the notes app on your phone, I store the last 5 numbers of the CC, the last 4 of the PP number and the login. I have a couple. You can also write on the strip on the back of the PP which CC it corresponds to.
bgriff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.