Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
This seems like an overreaction to a limited problem (that problem being the churners with multiple PP accounts). A pathetic cost savings measure when they could have done something less irritating, like a "one non-lounge visit per XXX hours". Or maybe they could have started issuing PP membership per cardholder not product (i.e. you have both Plat and Hilton? That's still one PP account).

When will my AF drop back down to $450? I'll even give up the Uber credit again which is a hassle to use (per the other thread).
Old May 28, 2019, 11:28 am

Thank you for the info!

I recently received my PP Prestige membership through a new AMEX. While researching which card to get, I included the PP Prestige membership in my list of Pros. DEN is my home airport and the only PP benefit is a restaurant. After August that value will be gone. Especially since we typically book nonstop flights and won’t have much use for it elsewhere.

I had already planned to review the benefits and their value to me before the next AF. Clearly I’ll be adding this to the Con list.

Last edited by HardToConcentrate; May 28, 2019 at 11:34 am
Old May 28, 2019, 11:31 am

AMEX is becoming real stingy with their "rewards" and increasing their annual fees. They really need to get with the program before Chase and Citi eats even more of their lunch.
slutide, mikesyr18 and Eurynom0s like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
You'd think that the US cards wouldn't get this cut due to how weak PP is here, but I guess the restaurants have proven to be way more popular than AmEx anticipated (or perhaps there is more abuse than I'd have expected). At least there's still Chase's PP membership for the time being as others have mentioned.
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by gooselee
Only a single data point, but I labeled my PP cards when I got them.

Amex PP card has 11 digits, formatted as 3 digits, space, 7 digits, space, 1 digit). Mine starts with a 1.
CSR PP card has 16 digits all run together, no spaces. Mine starts with a 7.
Sadly I did not have similar foresight, but I was able to tell from the expiration dates since I got my CSR PP card well before my two AMEXes (one unbranded Plat and one Bonvoy Brilliant). My numbering pattern matches yours.
gooselee likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
So lets review what I get as an AMEX Plat cardholder:
-$550 Annual Fee: Highest of all the cards.
-Centurion Lounges: Often Crowded. This will make it worse as people who may go to restaurants (e.g. Timeberline in Denver, P.F. Change @ LAX) will now crowd the lounge.
-Hotel Program: Bonvoyed! and Hilton
-PP Lounges: Amex Plat make up a significant percentage of PP membership. Now, instead of being able to use restaurants to alleviate pressure on lounges or get a bite to eat when PP lounges are at capacity, either we crowd the PP lounge more or we are left in the cold.
-Uber: $10 per month. Enough for perhaps one ride.
-Airline credit: That I can only use for incidentals.
-Saks Credit: Useful for some but I shop at Banana Republic and find Sak's overpriced.

Seriously, we are paying for an upper tier premium product, I would expect to be treated as such.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HardToConcentrate
Thank you for the info!

I recently received my PP Prestige membership through a new AMEX. While researching which card to get, I included the PP Prestige membership in my list of Pros. DEN is my home airport and the only PP benefit is a restaurant. After August that value will be gone. Especially since we typically book nonstop flights and won’t have much use for it elsewhere.

I had already planned to review the benefits and their value to me before the next AF. Clearly I’ll be adding this to the Con list.
I just paid an annual fee to AMEX in January based on a promise of full priority pass access for the next 12 months. If AMEX is now revoking restaurant access, aren't they breaking the deal and shouldn't a I get a refund of the annual fee I paid in January? Has anyone raised this argument with AMEX yet?
ryno and Eurynom0s like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
So lets review what I get as an AMEX Plat cardholder:
-$550 Annual Fee: Highest of all the cards.
-Centurion Lounges: Often Crowded. This will make it worse as people who may go to restaurants (e.g. Timeberline in Denver, P.F. Change @ LAX) will now crowd the lounge.
-Hotel Program: Bonvoyed! and Hilton
-PP Lounges: Amex Plat make up a significant percentage of PP membership. Now, instead of being able to use restaurants to alleviate pressure on lounges or get a bite to eat when PP lounges are at capacity, either we crowd the PP lounge more or we are left in the cold.
-Airline credit: That I can only use for incidentals.
-Saks Credit: Useful for some but I shop at Banana Republic and find Sak's overpriced.

Seriously, we are paying for an upper tier premium product, I would expect to be treated as such.
Add DL lounges when flying DL and the Escape lounges (perhaps others) that no longer accept PP.

PTS (including the improved IAP) and FHR can be very valuable, depending on your travel patterns. I think there's still the Fine Dining restaurant reservation program, but I haven't used it recently.

Limited emergency and concierge services. Generally good phone service. No foreign exchange/transaction fees.

Rental car coverage worldwide with few exceptions for particular countries or cars.

MR points.

Old May 28, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Add DL lounges when flying DL and the Escape lounges (perhaps others) that no longer accept PP.

PTS (including the improved IAP) and FHR can be very valuable, depending on your travel patterns. I think there's still the Fine Dining restaurant reservation program, but I haven't used it recently.

Limited emergency and concierge services. Generally good phone service. No foreign exchange/transaction fees.

Rental car coverage worldwide with few exceptions for particular countries or cars.

MR points.

Forgot those.

I can't wait for the Ask Shebby! financial autopsy of the new Plat's benefits.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Guess I’ll be canceling my Hilton Ascend.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I just paid an annual fee to AMEX in January based on a promise of full priority pass access for the next 12 months. If AMEX is now revoking restaurant access, aren't they breaking the deal and shouldn't a I get a refund of the annual fee I paid in January? Has anyone raised this argument with AMEX yet?
I assume Amex's response will include something like this:
1) Canned response that card benefits can change at any time (and esp. sub-benefits, as this is arguably not much different than lounges being added/removed from the PP program in general)
2) Canned response about how the benefit remains intact for most of the year still
3) Canned response about all the other benefits of the card

If you push enough, I would expect at a minimum that Amex allows people to cancel their cards and receive a prorated refund of the AF. Of course, make sure you tidy up your MR account as needed before cancelling.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
While the benefit for PP was a good thing I think, it seems to translate too directly into $ and cents for people, whereas a "lounge" visit was more nebulous. Personally I find it more useful to get a proper meal than to sit and munch on whatever junk food is lying around most PP clubs. (Cent club excluded, their spread is quite nice).
Old May 28, 2019, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Many of us have been saying that this seemed too good to last. As mia says, we’ll see if Chase follows suit.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
It's $15/mo (a little higher in December, can't remember how much). "Enough for perhaps one ride" is probably the wrong way of looking at it. It reduces my Uber bill by $15/mo, times 12, that's $180 offset off the annual fee.
Adelphos likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I assume this is also true for non-US AMEX cards. I would presume so, though as we have so many fewer benefits in the first place it might be nice to keep it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.