Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Priority Pass will exclude Restaurants (August 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Why cut it and not just limit it to 10 use per year? Like Hilton Ascend?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RedElmo
They may eventually do something like that in the company’s bottom line interest of trying to charge more while giving less for it.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHake10
Did you mention the PP updates as part of the reason why you're downgrading? If so, did the rep say anything about that?
I did, and the rep knew nothing about it.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedElmo
But the benefit is being cut from Ascend, also.

I guess I should explain more fully why got the Ascend in the first place, and then why I went back to the basic card. I got the basic card many years ago, around 1998. I was getting married and I wanted the Hilton points to help with the honeymoon hotel costs. I kept the card afterwards because it had no fee and Silver Elite provided some benefits.

About 14 years ago, I started working for a corporation. At first, they asked me to charge business travel to a personal card, for which I was reimbursed monthly. I used the Amex for that since I did not routinely use the card for anything else. Obviously, most of my hotel stays were Hilton, so that I could get lots of points for personal stays.

Then about 10 years ago, I was given a corporate credit card and was told to use it from then on. So my use of the Hilton credit card declined to basically nothing, again. But I kept it for the Silver benefits, such as fifth night free on points stays. I still stayed mostly at Hilton for business travel and thanks to other sources of Hilton points, such as Hilton bonus promotions and online opinion surveys, I still got a lot of points for personal stays.

But then my employer told everyone to use Concur for booking, and Concur strongly encourages us to book with IHG. If booking elsewhere, I have to explain why.

Last year, I started thinking about our upcoming twentieth anniversary of marriage. I wanted to get a lot of Hilton points fast. Upgrading to Ascend was the obvious way to do that. At that point in time, PriorityPass was not a factor in the decision -- I would have done the upgrade regardless. I don't drink alcohol and anyway, there are no PP lounges at SLC. So lounge access while traveling is not a major life goal for me.

So I got the card, got the points, and then I realized that PP had the restaurants. So that, along with Hilton Gold, was a sufficient reason to keep the card. But without the restaurants, Hilton Gold and the extra bonus points are not enough for me to justify the $95 fee. Especially since I basically only stay at Hiltons for personal stays.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
never used the benefit nor the Priority Pass....
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I'll be gutted if this leaves the UK Plat Amex. I'm not a churner but the lounges and restaurants are a nice bonus to have when travelling.
Interestingly on the Amex App the restaurants are still listed as available.

Mark
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by marconess
.... Amex App the restaurants are still listed as available.
Correct. This change is reported effective in August, 2019.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by uanj
And it will not matter to Amex if people drop the card in response because the ones who do will be the ones who overused the benefit.
i think that is too simplistic of a view.

I didn’t sign up for the Plat card because of the restaurant benefit (it didn’t even exist yet), and I wouldn’t cancel it just because this benefit has been cancelled. I got the card because of its overall list of benefits were sufficient to justify the AF. If I cancel it, it’s because that is no longer the case. Lots of things have changed since I got the card, and so it only makes sense to re-evaluate to cost/benefit situation. Same for other cards. They have to earn their place in my wallet/safe.

And for the record, I did not overuse this benefit. Never went to more than one restaurant per trip, never even bothered to maximize the check to consume the entire $28 benefit even when servers pushed for it. My guess is I got about $100-$150 of value out of it last year. And that is spread over two PP cards.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While the posters on this thread overwhelmingly blame the cardholders abuse of this benefit, little do they know, the restaurants themselves are to be blamed as well...

Just came across the comment section of Gary Leff's write up on whether Chase / Citi would follow suit.

See how the waitress at Caper encouraged customers to use their PP benefits to the max... presumably this helps to add to the restaurant's profit as well as her tips... so the restaurants also game the system just as much or even worse than some of the cardmembers.

tjp1974 says:May 28, 2019 at 10:21 pm
@nate
“every time we’ve eaten at a PP restaurant there has been always some group of customers arguing over how much they’re ‘entitled’ or openly attempting to game the system.”I was at PDX over the weekend and I actually witness quite the opposite. I was at Capers Cafe Le Bar and the waitress over there was actually encouraging people to abuse the system. There was a table with two young people and one was presenting the card and the waitress looked at the other person and asked if she has the card too and explained that they can claim each other as a guest and have $56 worth of food per person and went on about how she was serving a table with 3 guys and she was able to get each guy to claim 2 others on the table as guests so each can claim $84 worth of food per person. I bet those guys didn’t really had $84×3 worth of foods/drinks but restaurant probably charged the PP as much.
The whole thing wasn’t designed to be sustainable. Too easy to game.
dw, dhuey, amanuensis and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I’ve been thinking along these lines, Happy. PP’s lounge partners never had incentives like this to game the system. They don’t want to take in too many people and crowd the lounge, nor do they want anyone carrying away food from the lounge. For the restaurants, however, the incentive is to maximize PP usage.

Amex aside, PP might need to rethink the whole idea of $28 or so restaurant credits.
Statman and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:02 pm
mia

Originally Posted by dhuey
Amex aside, PP might need to rethink the whole idea of $28 or so restaurant credits.
Any type of co-payment would dramatically reduce abuse. Change from a $28 credit to (example) a 50% discount, capped at $28, and many people will order what they need, rather than based on cost.
dhuey, work2fly, Happy and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:40 pm

Ive been keeping track of this thread, while I have several AMEX's (Business Blue & Gold) and definitely have a stash of MR points I never did get the Plat, Ive seen several changes that even further make it less than a good decision and in addition lets consider the following:

1. No bonus on intl spend
2. AMEX acceptance no where what Visa/MC is
3. Benefits which are designed to not be used. Like the ridiculous Uber credit given monthly and the fact it can't be used internationally.
4. Very limited bonus category

I personally don't see the Plat card as a "premium" CC. Im not sure how they have successfully marketed this as a premium card, I guess it shows the marketing power but the fact that AMEX acceptance sucks in MOST places combined with the non-bonus ability outside the US makes no sense that this is an international premium CC.

I use my CSR for all my bonus spend here and when I am outside the US and I just got an Alliant CB card for any non-bonus personal spend as I am already running a surplus of points and don't want blindly collect points.

Finally, in regards to the PP lounges.....I have definitely used them but honestly they are lackluster generally speaking. More often than not they are crowded and only useful largely outside the US. Im personally hoping that Chase comes out with a truly premium card, something that requires Private Client etc and adds some benefits etc.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:25 pm
mia

Originally Posted by choff5507
....Benefits which are designed to not be used. ....
How are you harmed if a card offers a benefit that you happen to be unable to use?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by mia
How are you harmed if a card offers a benefit that you happen to be unable to use?
It's not a question of being harmed. Lets be honest, AMEX knows exactly what they are doing which is why they made so many conditions apply to the usage, if they truly wanted to offer it as a benefit they would just let people use the Uber credit but they don't, they piecemeal it out and don't let you use it internationally. I mean you don't think this is by accident do you? And if you figure arguably that the people who have a Platinum are more likely to travel internationally than say users of other AMEX cards it makes even less sense that the benefit can't be used internationally. On the other hand, the CSR travel credit is easily used.

As I stated I have 2 AMEXs and I use them all the time but I see no value in the platinum and the issues Ive brought up about it have also been brought up on here many times.
Boraxo and cuthroat like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
You think I enjoy jumping through so many hoops to use my benefits?
- UberEats order, once a month
- Buying airline gift cards to use the airline credit because I can't use it to buy tickets
- Saks Fifth Avenue visit to buy a GC every 6 months

I mean, I eventually DO recover $500 worth of value out of this card, which means I effectively pay $50 for Hilton and Marriott Gold status. But using the benefits is annoying as hell.
Boraxo and cuthroat like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.