Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: roberto99
Faq amex: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/campaigns/gold-card/gold-update-faqs.html

For existing and new cardholders
  • Changes below are effective immediately
    • 4x US grocery (25k/calendar year), 4x US dining* (*pervasive reports that many dining transactions are not coding as 4x, including but not limited to those from Square or Toast-based POS systems. Scroll down in thread for more reports and information.)
    • $120 dining credit ($10 monthly in certain restaurants)
  • No change
    • $100 calendar year airline reimbursement
  • Other
    • $250 AF (see below for existing cardholders)
    • No 2x gas (removed, see below for existing cardholders who have it till Oct 2019)
  • Metal card (contactless)
    • Rose gold card - limited edition until Jan 9 2019
    • Regular gold card

For new cardholders (Oct 4 2018 and after)
  • You may be able to find targeted/referal 50k/$2k, but first AF is not waived
  • Signup bonus: You get 20% off restaurant up to $500 restaurant spend (3 month)
  • You do not get 2x gas (only for existing cardholders, see below)

For existing cardholders (Oct 3 2018 or before)
  • AF will change to $250 for anniversary dates after April 1 2019
  • 2x gas will be removed after Oct 2019
  • You can chat/call for the gold/rosegold metal card. AU card will get whatever primary cardholder is getting, cannot be different
Print Wikipost

Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jediwho
For all those who applied with the 50K no AF first year, we are locked in ...
American Express cannot change the terms of the card in the first 12 months. This not only means they cannot impose a fee if your offer waived it, but it should also mean that they cannot remove the Gasoline bonus category or impose a cap on Supermarket spending where there was none when we applied.

Originally Posted by knopfler
... Seems like a bad move on AMex's part, cutting out a huge volume of MS while increasing points to non-MS'ers. Unless they are losing money on MS purchases.
Manufactured Spending represents increased credit risk. It's not about fees or rewards cost, it's about people who are unable to pay their card balance without liquidating gift cards.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, Krisflyer Elite Gold
I just requested the rose gold card through chat. Person on chat says will take 7-10 business days (requested to expedite)
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by foodcrazyboy
I just requested the rose gold card through chat. Person on chat says will take 7-10 business days (requested to expedite)
Same here. Expedite is not available
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:14 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What happens if I get the Rose gold but don’t like the color? Can I request a regular gold?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by tsmith12
To get Rose Gold right away, you'll have to CALL. CSR online (chat option) are telling folks to wait 24 hrs.
I think the morning shift of chat reps were given new memo. Was able to request Rose Gold via chat at 8:00am EST.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by knopfler
I view it the opposite way, they would not have capped it if they could detect gift card purchases. Seems like a bad move on AMex's part, cutting out a huge volume of MS while increasing points to non-MS'ers. Unless they are losing money on MS purchases.
I agree. Unless this new Gold card brings in a new set of rules for us to live by, we should keep going by how Amex has behaved in the past. They don't want to see GCM or similar purchases, esp in meeting MSR. They also get L3 data from some places, but I don't think I've ever seen someone include grocery stores in that list. I'm still ramping up, so to me, $25k seems just within reach, esp if I'm trying to max out for 2018 before it resets for the new calendar year. But I know there's plenty of folks around here who can breeze through that in a week, and it's a super low cap for them.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:30 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by mia
The terms of this card explicitly exclude gift card purchases from earning bonus points. I expect American Express would not have capped the category at $25,000 if they were not confident that they could detect a high proportion of gift card purchases.
The T&C is not 100% enforced. You can certainly test water. But I would not want to max the GC purchases. It is looking for trouble. But if you buy $200 GC here and there, I do not think AmEx can 100% detect that. You do not want to MS heavily on this card.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by S.R
What happens if I get the Rose gold but don’t like the color? Can I request a regular gold?
Give the Rose card to your daughter and ask for an old fashioned Plastic card.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:41 am

Just requested Rose Gold via CSR...only a few minute wait...they were required to read a weird legalese statement. No expedited shipping available- "it's out of my hands" - i was told. 7-10 business days. Will use my $10 credit tomorrow at Shakeshack for my monthly fat friday gorging.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:48 am
Suspended

Chatted with AmEx rep about the renewal AF. For the cards opened before 4/1/2018, you pay the old AF to renew. Starting from 4/1/2019, the new AF takes effective.

My anniversary is September (not billed yet). So I'll pay the old AF to renew and the first year is not subject to the new T&C. But we still earn the new benefits, including 4% and 3% etc....
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
Just requested Rose Gold via CSR...only a few minute wait...they were required to read a weird legalese statement. No expedited shipping available- "it's out of my hands" - i was told. 7-10 business days. Will use my $10 credit tomorrow at Shakeshack for my monthly fat friday gorging.
I'll skip the $10/month new dining benefit.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Strong card. I don't currently have it but will be applying over the next few months. The dining credit is great for Grubhub/Seamless, the 20% rebate on US restaurants up to $100 is a good welcome bonus (I would go through that quickly), and 4x earnings on supermarkets and groceries is pretty unparalleled. Totally supercedes my strategy of using Hilton Ascend on $15,000 of dining/grocery spend to get the free night. In all honestly it makes the Platinum less competitive as well - I may actually swap out my AMEX PLatinum for a Delta Reserve, preserving SkyClub access while giving an extra EQM boost.

Amex has done well here - holding a couiple of charge cards, a Hilton card, a Marriott card and a Delta card is a pretty good strategy
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
I'll skip the $10/month new dining benefit.
Really, why? You do consume food for sustenance, or no? Based on where you live you can do Grubhub - pickup or delivery - tens of thousands of restaurants...any cuisine. It's free money.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by mia
American Express cannot change the terms of the card in the first 12 months. This not only means they cannot impose a fee if your offer waived it, but it should also mean that they cannot remove the Gasoline bonus category or impose a cap on Supermarket spending where there was none when we applied.

CARD act means they cannot change some conditions during first year (eg interest apr above the existing fixed/pegged rate)

It's possible for them to change other benefits? Some require 45day notice, some cannot be changed in first year
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
Really, why? You do consume food for sustenance, or no? Based on where you live you can do Grubhub - pickup or delivery - tens of thousands of restaurants...any cuisine. It's free money.
As discussed before, $10/month is close to nothing if you add all the delivery costs. Any I do not want to be led to a different life style, just because of the $10/month.

Had this be a real $10/month dining credit, like the Chase CSR $300 travel credit, then I'll be glad to use it. Just part of the promotion game, little substance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.