Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Looks like the United Portal is no use for this. The UA portal only links to https://www.saksoff5th.com which is the discount/outlet branch of Saks.
Based on feedback, it appears that in store gift cards count at Saks, which can then be used at Saks Off 5th with the portals.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Looks like the United Portal is no use for this. The UA portal only links to https://www.saksoff5th.com which is the discount/outlet branch of Saks. The Amex offer small print says
"Not valid on Saks Fifth Avenue Gift Cards or purchases at outlet locations (in stores and online)"

Saks.com is the main store.

American Airlines portal seems to be the same problem.

Unless people can confirm success getting the $50 back when shopping at the outlet, https://www.saksoff5th.com ??
They seems to come and go on portals, but definitely saks.com is sometimes on AA and United portal.

Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:20 am

I was initially dubious of this "credit" as it seemed to come outside our normal spending habits. But when I mentioned it to my wife, she got excited bringing up the fact that we normally give small - $50-75 items - lotions, soaps, make-up, etc. - to both our moms a few times a year (Mothers Day/B-Day) - and this credit would be perfect for that. So we just bought a Jo Malone candle for one of their upcoming birthday presents. The shop-runner Platinum perk - free 2day shipping - which saved about $7 shipping costs (thus allowing us to stretch the credit a bit more) was also a nice benefit.
Statman likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

indeed saks has plenty of cheap stuff including sale items
747FC likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:51 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Today I tried to use my $50 Saks credit. It is an awful experience. The stuff I like to order all have $7.50 shipping cost minimum. Most of the food has rush delivery and has like $15 shipping and handling. Thinking of giving it up. Not much gain. Very smart of Saks to get people to shop there....

I have two Plat cards. I can't even charge it to both cards.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
Today I tried to use my $50 Saks credit. It is an awful experience. The stuff I like to order all have $7.50 shipping cost minimum. Most of the food has rush delivery and has like $15 shipping and handling. Thinking of giving it up. Not much gain. Very smart of Saks to get people to shop there....

I used mine for the first time today also, but had a great experience. Did you notice the shoprunner tab? It's free with Amex Platinum and gives you free 2-day shipping. I ordered a ~$25 item, used shoprunner, and got an email within about two hours that my item was shipped.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blind and Green
I used mine for the first time today also, but had a great experience. Did you notice the shoprunner tab? It's free with Amex Platinum and gives you free 2-day shipping. I ordered a ~$25 item, used shoprunner, and got an email within about two hours that my item was shipped.
Yes I signed up ShopRunner a long time ago and just activated it now. Most of the standard items ship for free. But some of the candy and food items still have shipping costs.

I'll just pick up something that has no shipping charge. Wish to charge to both CCs at the same time.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RedSun

Really? $7.50 is the dealbreaker here? Wow.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
You would think not but if someone is buying something from Saks that they ordinarily wouldn't just to use the credit, yes a $7.50 OOP expense could be a deal breaker. Why spend money if you weren't intending to to begin with?

For example, I was able to buy a $38 umbrella a few weeks ago. Had no need for an umbrella but decided to get one just to use the credit. With some tax and shipping, total cost was just under $49 so no expense for me but if it had been $55-$60, I wouldn't have done it.
JONJON451 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by kapooncha
You would think not but if someone is buying something from Saks that they ordinarily wouldn't just to use the credit, yes a $7.50 OOP expense could be a deal breaker. Why spend money if you weren't intending to to begin with?

For example, I was able to buy a $38 umbrella a few weeks ago. Had no need for an umbrella but decided to get one just to use the credit. With some tax and shipping, total cost was just under $49 so no expense for me but if it had been $55-$60, I wouldn't have done it.
I agree 100%. I don't care about expensive stuff and would never, ever, ever buy at Saks. The only reason I ordered something was to use up the credit. LOL.

Everyone, how long does it takes for the credit to post? Thanks!
JONJON451 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Javier1704
I agree 100%. I don't care about expensive stuff and would never, ever, ever buy at Saks. The only reason I ordered something was to use up the credit. LOL.

Everyone, how long does it takes for the credit to post? Thanks!
48 hours after the charge posted
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Agree. But then, just buy something else that keeps OOP cost to a minimum, or zero. Surely there's some combination of stuff that comes up to just under $40? Add 6% sales tax and $7.50 shipping and you're right at $50.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Agree. But then, just buy something else that keeps OOP cost to a minimum, or zero. Surely there's some combination of stuff that comes up to just under $40? Add 6% sales tax and $7.50 shipping and you're right at $50.
You get shoprunner with Platinum. Shoprunner works with Saks. You get free, 2-day shipping with Shoprunner. So the $7.50 is moot. I used shoprunner for my Saks credit, saved the 7.50...and the product was at my house the next day, free of charge.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Diplomatico

Like some people said, I had no intention to shop at Saks, period. I got it done, but not an experience I'd enjoy.

I get two Plat CCs. I plan to shut down one of them after this $50 credit is done. After doing extensive research, I could not find anything I want to buy. Not even the socks and underwear. So I decided to buy some candy and snack etc. It took a lot time to research the huge Saks universe. For candy and food, most of them are not covered with ShopRunner. There is no way to search for the items with ShopRunner before hand. It is another round of search, wasting time.

I finally found a chocolate item that is covered with ShopRunner. It says "in stock". When I'm ready to check out, it shows "out of stock". I tried other items of the same brand, all the the same "in stock" and "out of stock" story. So another round of shopping goes.

Most of the chocolate and other food items do not even get the $7.50 shipping charge, but $15 rush shipping charge. What is the hack to spend this much time and only get $35's worth?? So I had to search for item without rush shipping charge.

I finally found the item and ready to pay the $7.50 shipping. Then I suddenly found the coupon code for free shipping. So I spend $57 total and hope to get back the $50 credit back.

Had I known of this much trouble to redeem the $50, I'd likely just ignore it. I do not think AmEx is doing the right thing to give cardholders this kind of benefits. The same with the $10/month Grubhub Seamless food credit. AmEx has little cost, but claim this is our card benefits. It is also a bad way to change cardholder life style for food delivery etc.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:40 pm

I feel like folks overthink some of these things...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.