Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
There's also 10% from department stores, and it could be that credit applied. Saks credit might come later.
May, that must be where the 10% is coming from.

It seems from other people the Saks credit will take a few days to post.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA

May, that must be where the 10% is coming from.

It seems from other people the Saks credit will take a few days to post.
I assume this is targeted?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:17 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
I assume this is targeted?
Yes, it's part of a series of Amex Offers featuring 10% off in various categories. I have also seen Office Supplies and Supermarkets.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, it's part of a series of Amex Offers featuring 10% off in various categories. I have also seen Office Supplies and Supermarkets.
Great thanks, here's hoping they pop up. I hate that it's so random
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My impression of the Saks credit is that we get credited for the Saks purchase up to $50, twice yearly. I just made a $48+ purchase at Saks over the weekend and the charge just finalized. I also just got a credit for exactly 10% of that charge (4.85).
It says— SAKS DIRECT HRDC 689ABERDEEN
This is the first Saks purchase I’ve made so I know I didn’t use up the credit. Am I misunderstanding the credit? And yes, I registered in early July.
Not sure what happened in your case, but I recently made a purchase on saks.com for $17, and received the full $17 credit on my account 3 days later.

Would have been nice to be targeted for the 10% offer tho...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card

Just got notified of this new benefit. Seems there is no catch, basically $100 a year free pass to Saks. Is everyone getting this?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:17 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
.... Is everyone getting this?
Yes. Scroll back, to review 100+ posts that I have moved from another thread.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: Lowest-level minion
It's a benefit on all personal Plats as of July 2018. $50 Jan-Jun, $50 Jul-Dec.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:54 pm

Check your benefits tab and you have to enroll in it to get it
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:50 pm

I misread and thought it was $50 x2 anytime within a year so purchased two separate t-shirts for ~$60 each and got one $50 credit. Time to return the other $60 t-shirt in store.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:39 am
Suspended

Has anyone tried buying something from Saks and then returning to see if the AMEX credit sticks?
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Has anyone tried buying something from Saks and then returning to see if the AMEX credit sticks?
Seriously?
Statman, Robl, trouble747 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Seriously?
hey, winter is coming. I mean recession is coming. You gotta survive any way you can.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:07 pm

I thought AMEX platinum was for big spenders -- returners?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Not only did I receive the credit, but I also got an additional 10% back as part of an AmEx offer at department stores. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.