Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
$50 statement credit for purchases made at Saks. Enrollment required prior to purchase.
  • This benefit is available twice a year, once from Jan-Jun and once again from Jul-Dec.
  • Use it or lose it, does not rollover or accumulate. There is no "meter" to track how much you've spent. Check your statement for credits.
  • Per AMEX CS chat the transaction date is what determines whether a purchase is reimbursed from the Jan-Jun benefit or the Jul-Dec benefit.
  • Actual experience from 2019: first-half purchase submitted only 6/27, shipped 6/29, went from pending to posted on 7/1 (but dated as 6/29), credit posted on 7/1, was able to use second $50 credit a week or two later
  • Purchases by Additional Card Members (both the $175 Plat-colored and free Gold-colored) will be reimbursed also, but only up to an aggregate $50 per Account.
CAUTION: A note about Saks online shipping (particularly if ordering very close to the end of June or end of December):
Online orders do not charge until shipped. Many items are carried in-stock by Saks and eligible for ShopRunner shipping - data points suggest that these will charge and ship quickly.
However, many other items on Saks(dot)com drop ship from the manufacturer. For these, expected delivery dates may not be reliable, are not guaranteed, and orders cannot be cancelled easily.
If you place an online order close to the end of an Amex credit period, there is a risk that your item may not ship (and Amex will not be charged) until after the end of the credit period.

Note on shipping & billing times: If a product shows that ShopRunner shipping is available, it is shipped by Saks and is likely to ship and bill quickly. If there's no ShopRunner option, it is likely drop-shipped from the manufacturer meaning the shipping date and actual charge date will be further out.

Things known to count for the credit:
  • Merchandise purchased in Saks stores or online
  • Physical gift cards purchased in-store
  • Physical gift cards purchased online (min $150)
Things that do not get reimbursed:
  • e-gift cards (these are fulfilled by a different vendor)
  • anything bought at "Saks Off 5th" (however, you can use a Saks gift card at Off 5th...)
Print Wikipost

$50 credit at Saks 5th Ave every 6 months with Plat card (2018 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by JHake10
Just bought a TUMI umbrella for 50 (54.50 with tax). Let's see when I'll see the credit.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

i bought some undies and t-shirts.
Living in the Pacific Northwest, the umbrella may have been the wiser choice.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:40 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by acarney

You’re totally right about the Uber, and I guess if you’re in a decent sized city and just going a short distance then it is a free ride type deal. Just every time I’ve been traveling and kinda pre-priced an Uber (so without factoring in any potential surge pricing) its always been like a $30+ trip. So then I’m like, might as well just rent a car if round trip is going to be $60... or usually end up taking a light rail or something like that. That’s why I really wish it was a yearly allowance. Three or four times a year I might use an Uber, especially if I had a credit, but each time the fare has been more then $15 for me.

OR, it’s been “ok, great, I’m traveling for three days and took uber instead of getting a car, I have $15 credit and I didn’t use uber at all the past four months... >.< “
Presumably Uber is bearing some of the cost of this benefit, and the monthly thing benefits them because it helps make hailing an Uber a habit among more people.

Like any benefit provided at another company (as opposed to, say, extended warranty protection provided by Amex on consumer electronics purchases), it will always be worth a bit more to people who live in certain places where that company has a better presence - or frequently visit there as part of their travel patterns.

If I didn't have a Centurion Lounge at airports in my travel patterns (which was the case where I lived previously), I wouldn't value Centurion Lounge access much because I'd use it rarely.

TL;DR Not everyone uses every benefit.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
and the terms say no GCs.
Could always buy something and immediate return for store credit/gc.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I am surprised to learn that Saks would risk damaging their reputation by selling “cheap” **** products.
Walk in any department store, of any quality, and you will find a store that is filled with mostly garbage items sold at a huge markup. The problem is, the guilty parties are name brands which are perceived as high quality, such as those brands listed in my post. Walk in any mall in any developed country in the world and you are going to see the same items from companies like Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss, Armani, Diesel, etc. They're the most recognizable brand names in the world and are perceived as being quality even though most of their product line is low production cost items sold at obscene prices.

How do you think Saks is able to stock 100+ outlet locations? It isn't by selling nothing but high quality goods. It is by selling mostly low quality, low production cost ****. Selling the **** products is how they keep the lights on so that they can also sell $5750 Brioni suits. One trip through an Off 5th location tells you all you need to know about how heavily marked up and low quality most of their items are. They can do it because most people in the world can't tell you why a $5750 Brioni suit is better than a $998 Saks Fifth Avenue Brand Suit. Reputation is all about perception. These brands are perceived as being quality, thus these stores are perceived as selling high quality goods. Doesn't matter if it is Saks, Neiman Marcus, Macys, they're all the same.

It's a real eye opening experience when you realize just how much department store items are marked up relative to their production cost.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Went to Saks yesterday. Couldn't find a belt that was functional, not obnoxious, and also under $300. Remembered why I never shop there.

Left and went to TJ Maxx where I picked up exactly what I needed for $12.99+tax. Also got a nice pair of shorts while I was there.

I guess I'll go back and get a nice T shirt or something later this year. Or...I do need a new travel umbrella. Maybe I'll look for that Tumi.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Kind of a weird glitch. I signed up for the Saks credit last week (5/29) and the day I signed up I spent $16.67 to order lunch and $7.09 at 7-11. Those were my only transactions that day. Today I have two Shop Saks with Platinum Credits for those exact amounts. Anyone else have the Saks credits applied to random charges?

Last edited by chicago747; Jul 2, 2018 at 11:13 am
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:39 am

Just tried to enroll in Saks offer after logging into Amex Platinum account and it says "currently unavailable" - anyone know anything about that?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Xlr
Presumably Uber is bearing some of the cost of this benefit, and the monthly thing benefits them because it helps make hailing an Uber a habit among more people.

Like any benefit provided at another company (as opposed to, say, extended warranty protection provided by Amex on consumer electronics purchases), it will always be worth a bit more to people who live in certain places where that company has a better presence - or frequently visit there as part of their travel patterns.

If I didn't have a Centurion Lounge at airports in my travel patterns (which was the case where I lived previously), I wouldn't value Centurion Lounge access much because I'd use it rarely.

TL;DR Not everyone uses every benefit.
Exactly, Uber probably does kick in a decent amount of that credit. I'm fine with that, Amex can market the hell out of me and offer me partnerships and deals and everything. I LOVE the Amex offers and often will pick which hotel to stay at (SPG, Marriott, Hilton) depending on which offer (if any) is showing up. I'm not terribly brand loyal in that sense and instead value location and price more, especially since I don't travel enough to earn my own status and thus need the Amex for that. That's where I feel this Uber benefit and Saks should be. What I'm not a huge fan of is Amex increasing the fee I pay them and then saying "BUT LOOK! We introduced a $200 Uber credit and our fee only went up $100! That's more value for you!" To change this from a "we kinda sorta gave you something" to "we've added another strong perk to our card" would have been simply to add in a ground transportation credit that was up to $200 a year and worked for Uber, Lyft, private town car, rental car, etc. That would have been the strongest way to make the card more valued and "bang for your buck". Going down to a $200 travel credit with Uber would have been a compromise with Amex telling me who I can use the credit with but still would have appeared to be strong value because I could use it on a single vacation or something. But the few bucks every month really feels like a selling our data out to Uber and then handing us some discounts to make it seem like a deal.

If this had taken place without the AF bump it might not really feel like anything to be annoyed about.... that's really all I'm trying to get at.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by gooselee
Or...I do need a new travel umbrella. Maybe I'll look for that Tumi.
While I wouldn't normally buy a $50 umbrella, I figure with the credit covering it why not! I also used the AMEX shop runner benefit to get free 2 day shipping.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by kmgrossman
Just tried to enroll in Saks offer after logging into Amex Platinum account and it says "currently unavailable" - anyone know anything about that?
Beats me, I had the same issue though. Used the chat feature and in about 10 minutes the agent was able to add it to my account. It triggered the auto email from Amex which confirmed I was enrolled in it, so I think I'm good to go...
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by JHake10
While I wouldn't normally buy a $50 umbrella, I figure with the credit covering it why not! I also used the AMEX shop runner benefit to get free 2 day shipping.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Part of me wants to find something more worthwhile to buy (I can easily get a $5 umbrella elsewhere and not care about it), but I don't think this is the store in which to do that.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 5:02 pm

Is it worth waiting until black Friday to use this credit? How were sales at Saks last black Friday?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:45 am

So do we think AMEX is going to reverse the credits for non-Saks spending? Got my $50 credited back....without spend at Saks
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hyatt, IHG cards
Got an erroneous Saks credit on July 2 for June 29 spend at BevMo (CA/AZ liquor store).
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Shall we begin speculating on what benefit is going away on the Plat due to this Saks credit?
Originally Posted by mia
Neiman Marcus InCircle?
The AmEx Neiman Marcus InCircle link works, but I don't think we get the benefit anymore. Neiman Marcus is not listed in the Benefits tab of our AmEx online account and on Neiman Marcus's website, it says we need to apply for their credit card in order to sign up to be an InCircle member. It seems like in the past you just could sign up to be an InCircle member and then add your Platinum Card for the benefit. So now in order to get the InCircle benefit we need to first apply and be approved for the Neiman Marcus credit card, then add our Platinum Card?? Or only those Platinum cardholders who signed up to be InCircle members in the past get the benefit because they've been "grandfathered" in?

Last edited by Magna; Jul 4, 2018 at 2:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.