Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:19 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
On the top of my mind is what the ratio of AMEX MR to the new Stariott (Starwood/Mariott) program would be.

I mean right now 2 AMEX MR = 1 SPG = 3 Marriott points

Post merger, Stariott (Starwood/Marriott ) point base is inflated by 300%. This means 1 old SPG point = 3 Stariott (Starwood/Mariott) points (by one time conversion)

If and a BIG IF, AMEX keep the same ratio as now, 2 AMEX MR = 3 Stariott (Starwood/Marriott ) points

However, we already know the SPG AMEX is being devalued by Aug 1 AND the current US version of Membership Rewards is more unfavorable in SPG transfer. 3.33 US AMEX MR = 1 SPG point = 3 Marriott points.

So it is entirely possible our Canadian Membership Reward program, even if we adopt the US rate will mean a devaluation on how we can earn SPG points (or future Stariott points)

That's why I am thinking if we should just convert all our Membership Rewards to SPG now rather than wait for the devaluation. Yes there maybe a chance that the rate stays the same or even improve. But if the US SPG AMEX leads the way, the probability of a devaluation for us is higher than a windfall.

Finally, is there anything in Membership Rewards worth converting to? I think British Airways and Hilton is the only two left. Aeroplan is zombie program as Air Canada launches its own in 2020. Eithard is in financial trouble...

Any comments on this is welcomed.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
For any reference for what we might (but won't because we all know the US gets better offers) be getting, here's updated info on the US AMEX SPG/Marriott Card:

Originally Posted by schley
Amended details about the credit cards have been sent........ OLD spg cards have new details as well.
https://www.spgpromos.com/amexcoming...ouncement_dual

New card called the American Express Luxury Card is now offered at $450 annual fee for:

EARN POINTS
For each dollar of eligible purchases charged to your Card, you can earn:
6 points at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards® hotels¹
3 points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines¹
2 points at all other eligible purchases¹

BENEFITS
Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 points) at a participating hotel. Select hotels have resort fees.¹

Complimentary Gold Elite status: Earn Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.¹

Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating SPG or Marriott Rewards hotels.¹

Coming in 2019: Each calendar year you can receive credit for 15 nights towards the next level of Elite status. Limit one 15 Elite Night Credit per Marriott Loyalty Program member. Benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express. Terms apply.¹

Relax with unlimited lounge visits for you and up to two guests per visit once enrolled in complimentary Priority Pass™ Select membership, which offers access to over 1,000 airport lounges around the world.¹

Receive a statement credit every four years after you apply for Global Entry ($100) or TSA Pre√® ($85) with your Card. If approved, you can get expedited screening at select airports. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA Pre√®.¹

No foreign transaction fees on international purchases.¹

Free, unlimited Boingo Wi-Fi at more than 1,000,000 Boingo hotspots worldwide. Enrollment required.¹

Receive free in-room, premium Internet access while staying at participating SPG and Marriott Rewards hotels. Booking requirements apply.¹
​​​​​​​
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
[QUOTE=Smiley90;29666684]For any reference for what we might (but won't because we all know the US gets better offers) be getting, here's updated info on the US AMEX SPG/Marriott Card: (QUOTE)

I’ve been reminding Canadian hackers for years that the one spot you have better than the us is spg. The transfer ratio is more favorable. There has always been a referral system in place for the card. And you’re constantly getting a 20-25% bonus over us users because of the low loonie, every time you use your card!

for me and my needs, now that Marriott has kept the travel packages intact, I will continue dumping MR into spg till that option dies. It’s the best transfer option for MR, IMO, and significantly better than any us options involving spg.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Hopefully those reports are true about comp'd Marriott Plat status until end of Feb 2019, for those who got Marriott Gold from the Amex Plat's SPG Gold status.
Please stop spreading misinformation.

SPG Gold today? You will NOT be getting Platinum after August 1st.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin

I read some of the posts in that link, and it does not seem clear to me at all.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Cerenity
I read some of the posts in that link, and it does not seem clear to me at all.
I agree. Some Marriott reps (within North America) are saying one thing, while others (UK and Australia, for example) are saying something else.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Do I understand the wiki correctly?
We have the Gold and the Plat card, both are ending in July.
We would like to do a referral to the business Gold - the only way to do that would be from the Plat card, correct?

The bonuses would be 10k for referral, and 40k for the one that signs up for the Biz Gold (after $5000).
Do I have this right?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Almost - but you get 15K for the referral bonus since it is based on the card you are referring from (platinum).
rankourabu likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
We would like to do a referral to the business Gold - the only way to do that would be from the Plat card, correct?

The bonuses would be 10k for referral, and 40k for the one that signs up for the Biz Gold (after $5000).
Do I have this right?

​​​​​​​Give it a read
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by rankourabu

Do I have this right?
rankosaurus,

I put it into words, earlier this year, in a post on this thread here.
The one thing that is different since I wrote that post is that the Business Platinum Membership Rewards (MR) now earns 15K (as of Mar 22, no longer 25K), but the Personal Platinum MR still earns 15K and Business Gold MR earns 10K, for referring to the other MR cards:

Updated referring bonuses, as of changes on Mar 22, 2018:
  • Business Plat MR can refer to self, Personal Plat or Business Gold, for 15K bonus
  • Personal Plat MR can refer to self, Business Plat or Business Gold, for 15K bonus
  • Business Gold MR can refer to self, Business Plat or Personal Plat, for 10K bonus
Note: Personal Gold MR can NOT be referred to BY any of the 3 above cards. Nor can Personal Gold MR refer TO any of the 3 above cards. Only to self or Cobalt CC for 5K bonus.

So, go to your Personal Plat MR account page and look for your /amex.ca/share/rankypoo1234 referral link to the Personal Plat card. Copy and paste this into a new browser window. This is your referral to the Personal Plat card. Now look at the bottom of the page for "Not the right Card for you? Take a look at our other Cards...", and choose either the Business Platinum card icon, or the Business Gold card icon. This launches to the signup page for these other cards, and anyone who applies (and is approved) like this using your referral will earn you 15K referring bonus to your Personal Plat MR account.

Updated welcome bonuses, as of changes on Mar 22, 2018:
  • Business Gold MR earns a 40K welcome bonus when referred (30K if not), and requires $5K spending. FYF
  • Personal Plat MR earns a 60K welcome bonus when referred (50K if not), and requires $3K spending. $699/yr - $200 travel credit
  • Business Plat MR earns a 60K welcome bonus when referred (40K if not), and requires $7K spending, $499/yr.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:56 pm

This might be a very silly question, but will my SPG/Marriot Gold Status (from Amex Personal Plat) end when I cancel the Amex? I know PP does quite soon after, but I'm not sure about the Hotel Loyalty status.
I'm in the process of self referring to the Biz Gold, with plans to try and re-up for the Personal Plat sometime in the late summer/fall. So I'm a little unsure of my status with SPG/Marriot during the summer (August) time?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by emustyle
I know PP does quite soon after
This assumption is not always correct.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: SE 100K
I just opened Amex Plat about a month ago.

I have my MR points linked to my Biz Gold though which I am hoping to cancel in the next week or so before I hit a year and the annual fee.

What's the best way to go about merging the points to my Amex Plat MR without drawing any suspicions about churning etc.?
Call in and ask for them to be linked to the platinum? Or send a secure message?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
I just opened Amex Plat about a month ago.

I have my MR points linked to my Biz Gold though which I am hoping to cancel in the next week or so before I hit a year and the annual fee.

What's the best way to go about merging the points to my Amex Plat MR without drawing any suspicions about churning etc.?
Call in and ask for them to be linked to the platinum? Or send a secure message?
Secure message.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
This assumption is not always correct.
Sorry, that's a poor assumption. Would it also be variable for the status as well then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.