Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I quickly scrolled through 2 months of posts but I can't find anything about not being able to refer to a personal gold from a Biz Plat. Is this new for march?

I waited to do the Amex churn in vain as Hometrust told me to get lost, no visa for me! The $$ I have with them means nothing I guess. Rogers did give me their Visa.
You haven't been able to refer to pers gold from biz plat for quite some time now.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Here's a plan.

Friend has had Amex personal Gold since August.

She'll apply for Amex Business Gold, using self-referral (10,000 MR) using a referral from my Business Platinum (25,000 MR)..
She'll charge $5,000 to her CRA remittance account using Plastiq, and she'll select Plastiq as a 2x merchant (10,000 MR). It'll cost $125 in Plastiq fees.
She'll earn the signup bonus (40,000 MR).

So I think that means she'll together we'll earn 75,000 MR, at a cost of $125 $112.50 after using Fee Free Dollars.
Later, she'll ask Amex to combine her personal Gold MR + Business Gold MR accounts.

Please poke holes in this plan / optimize it / confirm it's ^
(I've made edits; thanks to all for the advice.)

Last edited by jerry305; Mar 5, 2018 at 9:46 am
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
i think Personal Gold can only refer to Personal Gold or Cobalt for 5K bonus?
For Biz G, she would need a referral from someone with Plat, Biz Plat, or Biz G.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Cerenity
i think Personal Gold can only refer to Personal Gold or Cobalt for 5K bonus?
For Biz G, she would need a referral from someone with Plat, Biz Plat, or Biz G.
Okay, I'll give a referral from my Business Platinum.
Thanks!
(I've edited my plan accordingly.)
Old Mar 4, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by jerry305
Okay, I'll give a referral from my Business Platinum.
Thanks!
(I've edited my plan accordingly.)
In that case, you'll get the 25K referral bonus (but do it before March 21st since there are some hints that they may decrease the referral bonus after that.

p.s. I have personally used Plastiq to pay CRA instalments in order to meet minimum spend and it works great, especially for the biz gold since plastiq can earn double points if you choose it as one of your designated suppliers.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Can someone please quickly remind me what the referral bonuses are on the SPG Business / Personal? e.g. does it matter if you go from Personal-> Business or Business-> personal or is the referral bonus on one higher than the other that'd make one way better? Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Can someone please quickly remind me what the referral bonuses are on the SPG Business / Personal? e.g. does it matter if you go from Personal-> Business or Business-> personal or is the referral bonus on one higher than the other that'd make one way better? Thanks!
It’s 5000 either way.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by jerry305
Here's a plan.

Friend has had Amex personal Gold since August.

She'll apply for Amex Business Gold, using self-referral (10,000 MR) using a referral from my Business Platinum (25,000 MR)..
She'll charge $5,000 to her CRA remittance account using Plastiq, and she'll select Plastiq as a 2x merchant (10,000 MR). It'll cost $125 in Plastiq fees.
She'll earn the signup bonus (40,000 MR).

So I think that means she'll together we'll earn 75,000 MR, at a cost of $125.
Later, she'll ask Amex to combine her personal Gold MR + Business Gold MR accounts.

Please poke holes in this plan / optimize it / confirm it's ^
Also, for some fine-tuning don't forget Plastiq's Fee Free Dollars (FFD) via referral program.

If you're a current Plastiq client, you can refer her to open her own Plastiq account. Then after she uses Plastiq for an initial $500 payment, you will get $1000 FFDs and she will get $500 FFDs. If she in turn has a partner/spouse within her 'group', she can refer that person to also open Plastiq, and after the initial $500 payment by the partner, she will have another $1000 FFD, and partner will have $500. The more friends/partners in the 'group', the more FFDs.

To put it in context, $2000 FFDs would save $50 on a 2.5% Amex Plastiq payee service fees.

Plastiq can also pay property taxes, tuition fees, student loans, gas/electric/water utilities, rent, etc. The service fee varies per payee as well as by which card you use to make the payment, with Amex's fees usually a bit higher than say MC or Visa.
jerry305 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:14 pm

for Amex personal Gold/platinum churn is still works, right?

if cancel today, how long should I wait to reapply?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Be careful here with TDMM Insurance. If you're on the pay-once-annually program, then even if you schedule your payment in June, the charge won't actually post to your Amex (or other CC) account until the day or 2 AFTER the policy renewal date. If that date is within 90 days of your approval date, then no problem. If it's beyond, prepare to fight to get the bonus points after meeting the minimum spending beyond the required time period. That's what I faced a couple of years ago when I tried to pay early.
Speak to accounting and you can pay early as long as your policy renewal quote comes in. Usually about 30-60 days early. I've never had them give me an issue when I insist I want to pay early. Can provide screenshot if you like
ayking likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Anyone else get a survey asking us to compare credit cards and which benefits we would like to see? Quite extensive in its options and it seems they are going to be some changes (obviously with AE going down the drain) in the coming months.

EDIT: By email from AMEX
I got it too, and it's quite extensive. Some of the benefits options they put in there are quite interesting.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Speak to accounting and you can pay early as long as your policy renewal quote comes in. Usually about 30-60 days early. I've never had them give me an issue when I insist I want to pay early. Can provide screenshot if you like
Good to know if I'm in a pinch next time. However, I've conditioned myself to time my minimum spends so I probably won't have to deal with this going forward.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:24 pm

Possible to refer AMEX Plat Business from Personal Plat?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:45 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Deleted, shouldn't post late at night, apologies.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Mar 6, 2018 at 6:36 am
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by brightaxis
Possible to refer AMEX Plat Business from Personal Plat?
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Negative
Wait, what? Did something change? You should still be able to refer to other MR cards.
  • Business Plat MR can refer to self, Personal Plat or Business Gold, for 25K bonus
  • Personal Plat MR can refer to self, Business Plat or Business Gold, for 15K bonus
  • Business Gold MR can refer to self, Business Plat or Personal Plat, for 10K bonus
  • Note: Personal Gold MR can NOT be referred to BY any of the 3 above cards. Nor can Personal Gold MR refer TO any of the 3 above cards. Only to self or Cobalt CC for 5K bonus.
So, go to your Personal Plat MR account page and look for your /amex.ca/share/bright1234 referral link to the Personal Plat card. Copy and paste this into a new browser window. This is your referral to the Personal Plat card. Now look at the bottom of the page for "Not the right Card for you? Take a look at our other Cards...", and choose either the Business Platinum card icon, or the Business Gold card icon. This launches to the signup page for these other cards, and anyone who applies (and is approved) like this using your referral will earn you 15K referring bonus to your Personal Plat MR account.
Admiral Ackbar and jerry305 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.