Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by dts9
I have had Amex Canada platinum for almost 20 years.

I kept it for the Fairmont platinum benefit (gone now) and like the centurion lounges, but no longer sure if the $$ is worth it.

It annoys the hell out of me that they still scam Canadians on foreign exchange.

What are the benefits that I’m unaware of.
Priority airport services at YYZ
Discounted valet at YYZ
Starwood Gold
International airline program
FHR
Concierge

To sum up, nothing very useful.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Priority airport services at YYZ
Discounted valet at YYZ
Starwood Gold
International airline program
FHR
Concierge

To sum up, nothing very useful.
The airport lounge program.

No idea why AMEX has such a YYZ focus. I would have expect YVR to have similar programs, but it does not.
lsquare and prmetime like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fiordland
The airport lounge program.

No idea why AMEX has such a YYZ focus. I would have expect YVR to have similar programs, but it does not.
I think Visa infinite have some kind of deal with YVR, so I don't think Amex could if they wanted to
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:37 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
With the improved Priority Pass benefit for AMEX Platinum Business while equalizing the referral bonus and welcome bonus with Personal Platinum, my question is this.

Is there any difference between American Express Platinum vs American Express Business Platinum? They seem to have the same points earning power. The same type of insurance.

I am thinking if I should ditch my personal AMEX Plat and go with the AMEX Business Plat. Any comments?
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by yeunganson
With the improved Priority Pass benefit for AMEX Platinum Business while equalizing the referral bonus and welcome bonus with Personal Platinum, my question is this.

Is there any difference between American Express Platinum vs American Express Business Platinum? They seem to have the same points earning power. The same type of insurance.

I am thinking if I should ditch my personal AMEX Plat and go with the AMEX Business Plat. Any comments?
I'm in same boat, as far as I can tell:
  1. Insurance coverage better with Business Platinum
  2. Additional hotel status with Personal Platinum
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:20 pm

The personal plat gives you Hilton Gold status while the business version doesn't give you any kind of Hilton status.
If Hilton Gold is important to you, you should go with the personal plat, otherwise I think those two cards are pretty similar in terms of other benefits.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 6:14 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Does anyone know if you can have BOTH the Gold Business AMEX and the Platinum Business AMEX at the same time?

I have the personal Platinum and just got the Gold Business AMEX (when I should have applied for the Plat Busienss AMEX for the 75000 points before the cut-off).
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Does anyone know if you can have BOTH the Gold Business AMEX and the Platinum Business AMEX at the same time?

I have the personal Platinum and just got the Gold Business AMEX (when I should have applied for the Plat Busienss AMEX for the 75000 points before the cut-off).
Yes. I have the Amex Business Platinum, and just signed up for the Amex Business Gold.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by agjil
The personal plat gives you Hilton Gold status while the business version doesn't give you any kind of Hilton status.
If Hilton Gold is important to you, you should go with the personal plat, otherwise I think those two cards are pretty similar in terms of other benefits.
YMMV, but I switched from Plat to Bus Plat several years ago and my Gold Hilton status has remained in place. May be a glitch in their system? In the 90s I did something similar (can't remember why I had gold status but should have lost it) and I lost gold status when I changed one of my personal preferences several years later. I'm not touching my preferences this time!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by allbrosca
YMMV, but I switched from Plat to Bus Plat several years ago and my Gold Hilton status has remained in place. May be a glitch in their system? In the 90s I did something similar (can't remember why I had gold status but should have lost it) and I lost gold status when I changed one of my personal preferences several years later. I'm not touching my preferences this time!
Hmm I'm not quite sure why or how that could have happened.
Maybe a glitch in the system as you said?
Personally I just don't understand why only the personal card comes with Hilton status when everything else is the same between the personal and business card.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AC

Redeeming points earned by the business Plat is 1000 points = $10 for everything. Redeeming points earned by the personal Plat is 1000 points for $10 for travel related charges ONLY, and 1000 points = $7 for everything else.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Gold, AMEX FHR

The personal one has the $200 annual travel credit and the Business one does not
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Eagle_traveler
The personal one has the $200 annual travel credit and the Business one does not
True, but isn't the annual fee $200 lower?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Gold, AMEX FHR
Originally Posted by allbrosca
True, but isn't the annual fee $200 lower?
Yes it is
Old Apr 3, 2018, 3:32 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to put this question but my card took almost two weeks to get home, post office problems, meaning I lost two weeks of expenses. Will Amex give me two extra weeks to complete the minimum expense?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.