Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2017). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2018.

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 40K MR (by referral, else only 30K) after $5000 spending
(no longer FYF as of Jun 26, 2018)

Updated as of Jan 22, 2018
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • Jan 22, 2018, as of Sep 14, 2017 the Amex Gold MR is no longer FYF. $150/yr applies on first statement. Only another Gold or Cobalt card can refer to Gold (and vice versa) for a 5,000 MR bonus. The Personal Gold cannot refer to Business Gold, Personal Platinum nor Business Platinum.
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership RewardsŽ points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Interesting thing I just noticed.

As we all know, the Platinum Card application in its footnote says:
  1. Platinum Welcome Bonus - This offer is only available to new PlatinumŽ Card Cardmembers. For current or former PlatinumŽ Card Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus. Account must be in good standing. To qualify for the 50,000 Bonus Membership Rewards points, you must have at least $3,000 in net purchases posted to your account in your first 3 months of Cardmembership. Purchases must be posted to your account on or before your three month anniversary date. Please allow up to six weeks for the welcome Bonus to be awarded.

Meaning if you had the card before, you don't get it again.

However, after logging in, I noticed an "Upgrade to Platinum!" offer in my welcome centre, which also has the same 50k points offer, and in the footnotes it simply says:

1. Account must be in good standing. To qualify for 25,000 bonus Membership Rewards points, you must have at least $1,000 in net purchases posted to your account in your first 3 months of Platinum Card membership. To qualify for an additional 25,000 bonus Membership Rewards points, you must have an additional $2,000 in net purchases posted to your account in the first three months of Platinum Card membership. To qualify for a total of 50,000 bonus Membership Rewards points, you must have at least $3,000 or more in net purchases posted to your account in your first 3 months. Please allow up to eight weeks for the bonus(es) to be awarded if you qualified. Bonus amounts will appear as separate transactions and may not be credited at the same time. Offer subject to change without notice.

Not only is it a slightly different reward breakdown (25k for 1k, another 25k for 2k more vs 50k for 3k straight-up), but there's also no mention of needing to be a "new" cardholder. Given that I had the platinum card before and this is a specific targeted offer that doesn't mention the "new card owner" offer, I should be good with getting the bonus again for signing up for this offer, right?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:52 am

I took advantage of that and received the points and I've had the Plat card on and off for years. However, I did call in and make the rep say that I would get the points just in case I had to go back to them to check the recording of our conversation.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:49 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Any rumblings on what may be replacing the FPC Plat in 5 stays benefit now that it has been Accorified? That is what made the card worth the annual fee for me, without it not so much...
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Any rumblings on what may be replacing the FPC Plat in 5 stays benefit now that it has been Accorified? That is what made the card worth the annual fee for me, without it not so much...
Ya same here!

When was the last time Amex Plat Canadian add up something perks to this card? For the past 2 years they kept losing perks but the annual price stay the same.
You can read that more and more peoples are ditching this card. I will see what happens with the aeroplan transfert points soon enough they will lose that too so i will have no needs.
Every week/ month that card becoming worthless. With FHR we were able to book Fairmont at a good discount/ free night/money voucher... and received all the perks being Platinum from President Club.
Now Accord Hotel took over and make it hard when you book with FHR to get a good price and received your goodies/perks from their loyalty program since you book outside of their reservation system ( they kind of punish you !! )

My 2 cents on it

Ireman
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade
How Long does referral from AMEX plat biz (not self refer) take to post? I was referred by a friend.

Yesterday, I got a call to verify some of the details of my application and the csr said the card is approved at the end of the call.

Still no points today on my friends account.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:16 pm

The new SPG Amex applications are showing a 50K sign up when you spend $1500 in the first 3 months.

I am trying to figure out if I can get a bonus by doing a self-referral from my SPG Biz (for SPG personal) - but I cannot get a refer a friend link to work for my SPG Biz (keeps defaulting to the Cobalt card I have on this shared profile). Anyone know what the referral bonus is for the SPG Amex cards as of today?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Nothing. The SPG card doesn't show up under the referral tab on my account page. I'm going to wait and see if it does show. There is nothing about referrals mentioned on the SPG card page.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pokee
The new SPG Amex applications are showing a 50K sign up when you spend $1500 in the first 3 months.

I am trying to figure out if I can get a bonus by doing a self-referral from my SPG Biz (for SPG personal) - but I cannot get a refer a friend link to work for my SPG Biz (keeps defaulting to the Cobalt card I have on this shared profile). Anyone know what the referral bonus is for the SPG Amex cards as of today?
I can't check right now, does it say something about previous owners of the old SPG Amex when it comes to eligibility for the bonus?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by pokee
Anyone know what the referral bonus is for the SPG Amex cards as of today?
Tried on my account, nope, not showing SPG card among the cards to refer from.

On the same topic, ouch, I just noticed this for Biz plat referral:

Your friend could earn
Membership RewardsŽ points when they charge $7,000 in purchases to their Card in their first three months of Cardmembershipł

Yes, they get 60k points through referral, but that 7k spend is now making this fairly unattainable in Canada due to low acceptance.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I can't check right now, does it say something about previous owners of the old SPG Amex when it comes to eligibility for the bonus?
Yes, it still has "for new only" wording.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lazarev
Yes, it still has "for new only" wording.
Dang. I'll give it a few months and then try. I haven't had it since they added the wording at least! What about the SPG business? Same bonus? What's the spend there?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I just went to take a look at the site (finally), and interestingly, it says:

5. Each year, 8-10 weeks after your annual reset date, you will earn a Free Night Award redeemable within 1 year from issuing for an available single or double occupancy standard room at a participating Starwood or Marriott Rewards hotel with a room rate of up to 35,000 points, inclusive of room rate and applicable taxes but exclusive of resort fee. Account must be in good standing. To view the full terms and conditions, visit www.SPG.com.

Which is equal to a NEW Cat1-5, whereas the old Marriott certificate was only valid for an OLD Cat1-5, new Cat1-4. How much was the old SPG free night cert worth? Did they give the value a slight one-category bump?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:43 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Smiley90
So I just went to take a look at the site (finally), and interestingly, it says:

5. Each year, 8-10 weeks after your annual reset date, you will earn a Free Night Award redeemable within 1 year from issuing for an available single or double occupancy standard room at a participating Starwood or Marriott Rewards hotel with a room rate of up to 35,000 points, inclusive of room rate and applicable taxes but exclusive of resort fee. Account must be in good standing. To view the full terms and conditions, visit www.SPG.com.

Which is equal to a NEW Cat1-5, whereas the old Marriott certificate was only valid for an OLD Cat1-5, new Cat1-4. How much was the old SPG free night cert worth? Did they give the value a slight one-category bump?
The old SPG free night certs are converted to a new merged Marriott/SPG cert redeemable a night up to new Marriott/SPG 35000 points (ie 11666 SPG point). The weekend restriction was removed and the catagory restriction removed - but 11666 SPG points won't go far
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:42 pm

Has anyone tried sending MR points to Marriott yet? It's live, but it shows my new SPG number, which is already not valid since I merged and kept my Marriott number...

If anyone has tried, have you received your points yet?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
I tried today. I will report back on success or failure. In past, they usually showed up the next day, though I expect a longer wait right now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.