Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Amex Platinum make Uber trips more expensive?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
...I'd rather just pay the $450 annual fee and pay the entire price of my Uber rides instead.....
...and you still have that option.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
More profitable for AMEX, meanwhile, they piss off their customers. I mean this company needs to wake up. Why would I want the card if I'm getting $15/month in Uber credits? $15 wouldn't even cover one 15 minute Uber ride in the most basic "category" for me. I'm basically getting one discounted Uber ride per month on a card that costs $550/year (I understand there's other benefits but still). I'd rather just pay the $450 annual fee and pay the entire price of my Uber rides instead.

I can't believe they raised the annual fee of this card by $100/year to make it the highest of the four major "premium" cards (U.S Bank Alt, Citi Prestige, Chase Sapphire Reserve, and this one) to add $15/month in Uber credits as a benefit along with 5x on air, in which this card has the worst point earning categories of the four anyways.
If you take advantage of Sky Club or Priority Pass access frequently, this card provides fantastic value. $550 AF less the $200 travel credit nets to $350. Sky Club access alone runs quite a bit more than that. Then the Uber credits, 5x on air, are all gravy. 5x on air is huge if you travel a lot. I'm earning stupid points on this card, and transferring them to the likes of ANA to get US-Southwest Pacific in business class for 120k miles round trip. Show me another card that can do that with only $24k spend.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by eajusa
Another reason not to Uber.
If Uber's pricing scheme is successful, do you really think Lyft wouldn't copy it? Do you also think Lyft wouldn't raise prices if Uber went under?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MDJennings
If Uber's pricing scheme is successful, do you really think Lyft wouldn't copy it? Do you also think Lyft wouldn't raise prices if Uber went under?
I have no intention of using Lyft.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
More profitable for AMEX, meanwhile, they piss off their customers. I mean this company needs to wake up. Why would I want the card if I'm getting $15/month in Uber credits? $15 wouldn't even cover one 15 minute Uber ride in the most basic "category" for me. I'm basically getting one discounted Uber ride per month on a card that costs $550/year (I understand there's other benefits but still). I'd rather just pay the $450 annual fee and pay the entire price of my Uber rides instead.

I can't believe they raised the annual fee of this card by $100/year to make it the highest of the four major "premium" cards (U.S Bank Alt, Citi Prestige, Chase Sapphire Reserve, and this one) to add $15/month in Uber credits as a benefit along with 5x on air, in which this card has the worst point earning categories of the four anyways.
With so many negative things to say about it... you said this like 4 posts above

What I hate the most about this benefit (and I do want to be a potential Plat cardholder as I already have an AMEX charge card) is that they drip feed you the benefit month to month rather than just giving you a lump sum.

But in response to the thread, I'm moderately curious to look at a couple of Uber vs. Lyft examples around Houston just to see which is cheaper or more expensive since we just got Lyft back in town a month ago
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Can you elaborate? I would take that option.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:17 pm
mia

Originally Posted by josephstern
Can you elaborate? I would take that option.
Business Platinum is still $450. The benefits have diverged somewhat this year, but there is substantial overlap.

Primary differences:
  • Personal 5X on all airfare; Business 5X only airfare booked through Amex travel.
  • Personal $15/month Uber credit; Business not.
  • Personal supplementary Platinum cards $175 for three; Business $300 each.
  • Personal includes free supplementary Gold cards; Business includes free supplementary Green (undocumented).
  • Personal available in metal; Business not.
  • Personal available with contactless; Business not.
  • Personal accounts appear on consumer credit reports; Business not.
  • Business includes 10 GoGo WiFi sessions per calendar year; Personal not.
  • Business offers 35% refund on Pay-with-Points airfare which nets to $0.0154/point; Personal $0.01/point with no refund.
  • Business awards 1.5 points per dollar on individual transactions over $5,000; Personal does not, but this is moot if you have Blue Business Plus unless you exceed the $50,000 annual spending cap.

I will add more differences when I think of them.

Last edited by mia; Jun 30, 2017 at 1:57 pm
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK - I need the Personal for other reasons (three add'l users at $175/year).
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by mia
Primary differences:
  • Personal 5X on all airfare;
Has this been in effect a while? Didn't know that. Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:55 pm
mia

Discussion of the personal 5X airfare benefit is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ay-points.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...taxes-etc.html

Discussion of the Business variant:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-flights.html
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Business Platinum is still $450. The benefits have diverged somewhat this year, but there is substantial overlap.

Primary differences:
  • Personal 5X on all airfare; Business 5X only airfare booked through Amex travel.
  • Personal $15/month Uber credit; Business not.
  • Personal supplementary Platinum cards $175 for three; Business $300 each.
  • Personal includes free supplementary Gold cards; Business includes free supplementary Green (undocumented).
  • Personal available in metal; Business not.
  • Personal available with contactless; Business not.
  • Personal accounts appear on consumer credit reports; Business not.
  • Business includes 10 GoGo WiFi sessions per calendar year; Personal not.
  • Business offers 35% refund on Pay-with-Points airfare which nets to $0.0154/point; Personal $0.01/point with no refund.
  • Business awards 1.5 points per dollar on individual transactions over $5,000; Personal does not, but this is moot if you have Blue Business Plus unless you exceed the $50,000 annual spending cap.

I will add more differences when I think of them.
Or if you have over a million in assets at Charles Schwab, they will pay you $50 a year to have the Schwab Amex Platinum card. Of course you have to use all your Uber credits and airline fee credits in order to accomplish this.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia
I'll just wait a couple of years and get the Chase Sapphire Reserve, I think. Who knows though, I always change my mind so I could end up with the Platinum right before I leave for vacation next year.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mia
It isn't necessary, it's a pricing strategy to maximize profits. Worthwhile reading here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...willing-to-pay
Idea for you to consider: in your role as moderator of this forum, ask Uber, on the record, whether having a personal Plat on the account could affect pricing. If the answer is that yes, it might increase the price, then there are some very serious potential fraud and false advertising issues. $15/mo. credit is not really a $15 credit if the card itself causes a price increase. If their answer is no comment, that sounds like yes.

MEDIA CONTACT:
Alex Wolf
WIT Strategy for UberMedia
awolf(at)witstrategy(dot)com
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
I have no intention of using Lyft.
So what would you use? Eventually taxi cabs or any other contracted ride service will do the same if successful.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:40 pm

Did anybody try contacting Amex and presenting the evidence that was given in this thread? That seems like the best place to start if the ultimate goal is to enact change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.