Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Amex Platinum make Uber trips more expensive?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
sfcaFLYER's post makes it sound like he has both cards linked to his account and only notices a difference when he switches to his Plat for the payment method.
Exactly. Happened four times over the last two weeks. Usual ride to my office is $14 and it went to $19-20.

Last edited by sfcaFLYER; Jun 29, 2017 at 9:48 am Reason: More info
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:39 am

Just tested this out, same phone, just switching payment option -- Amex Plat $17.30 Chase Reserve $16.45.

I find it strange that just by changing payment method, it recalculates the total. Why is that necessary if the pickup/dropoff points did not change? Seems like this pricing scheme is not a glitch.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gDolan
...we know Uber differentiates price based on what they believe your income/willingness to pay is......
Originally Posted by jbeans
... strange that just by changing payment method, it recalculates the total. Why is that necessary...
It isn't necessary, it's a pricing strategy to maximize profits. Worthwhile reading here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...willing-to-pay

The new fare system is called “route-based pricing,” and it charges customers based on what it predicts they’re willing to pay. It’s a break from the past, when Uber calculated fares using a combination of mileage, time and multipliers based on geographic demand.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Is it possible they are adding the merchant fee they have negotiated with each Network (Visa, MC, Discover, Amex) to the normal ride fare??? This would also be bad, as no one can notice it and there are states where you can not charge more for using one or another type of card, starting with Debit, prepaid and credit cards differentiation. Just a thought, but I only use CSR on Uber, so looks like I should be getting lower priced trips, LOL.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could it be related to the fact that we are now Uber VIP by having the Platinum attached?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Jiatong
WOW. another amex computer glitch.
That's a joke, right? Amex computers have nothing to do with Uber's algorithms.

Off to Uber Eats for me!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:18 am

I just flipped back and forth between Apple Pay (CSR on backend) and American Express Platinum and it changed by ~ .1%.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:23 am

are you all using your plat to pay for uber? i've always just use the csr for the trips. no problem having the plat credit applied.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Just to be clear: these are 2 different phones logged into the same Uber account requesting the same trip using 2 different cards?

My daughter uses my monthly Uber credit, but charges all rides to her own Visa card, so she wouldn't notice the increase.
These are different phones (iphone and android) logged in to 2 different uber accounts with different cards linked requesting the exact same trip.

Originally Posted by shimps1
Best way to test this is two different phones with two different Uber accounts. Open Uber and request ride at the same time, side-by-side. One has the Plat as a payment method in their account, and the other only has "normal" cards in their account.
That's exactly what I did. The double cash linked uber account has no trace of amex plat.

Originally Posted by ahcjar103
are you all using your plat to pay for uber? i've always just use the csr for the trips. no problem having the plat credit applied.
The issue with this is... uber would still (or should) know about the linked amex even if you are not using it to pay. Would this affect the algorithm.

Last edited by gsxsilver; Jun 29, 2017 at 12:07 pm
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:11 pm

i'm testing this tonight. My wife's uber account never had a single AMEX attached to it. Mine has my plat and other "premium" cards on it. I'll do a simultaneous test. In fact, I'll give AMEX the benefit of the doubt and use the AMEX uber booking first, i.e. remove one potential supply out of the population.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by carlitos
Is it possible they are adding the merchant fee they have negotiated with each Network (Visa, MC, Discover, Amex) to the normal ride fare??? This would also be bad, as no one can notice it and there are states where you can not charge more for using one or another type of card, starting with Debit, prepaid and credit cards differentiation. Just a thought, but I only use CSR on Uber, so looks like I should be getting lower priced trips, LOL.
I think this is part of it -- with the 2x AMEX points on Uber rides, at least would explain the 1% difference that some on this thread are seeing
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I had a similar substantial price shift happen last night - I was looking at a ~$8 ride , and then changed the setting to use AMEX points (they buried this setting selection in the current app, it used to be very easy to which between the two) ... and trying to use points it turned into a $10+ ride ... doubt there was surge pricing a minute later at that time of night ... anyway I got pissed and decided to drive myself
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
That's annoying. For people seeing higher prices on the Plat, do you have remaining fare credit for the month?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
That's annoying. For people seeing higher prices on the Plat, do you have remaining fare credit for the month?
I do not.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by weaseltown
Shouldn't Amex have a "most favored nation"-like clause in their contract with Uber? I can't imagine Amex would have intentionally entered a contract where their cardholders end up charged more than their competitors' cardholders.
Maybe this Uber arrangement was part of Amex's way to fund the Uber "benefit" it marketed to try to sell the Platinum card cost increases customers are facing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.