Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Amex Platinum make Uber trips more expensive?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Back to Uber Fees and not benefit of card..

Just tried a fare from my home to LAX. Using Uber Amex Credits, Amex Only and Visa Signature (Explorer Card) all the same $$ for UberX and Pool.. I don't see a difference..
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Just tried a fare from my home to LAX. Using Uber Amex Credits, Amex Only and Visa Signature (Explorer Card) all the same $$ for UberX and Pool.. I don't see a difference..
All data points in this thread would agree that within any one account, the prices are all the same.

The difference is noted by testing the same ride in different accounts, where one account has an Amex Plat and the other account does not.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by josephstern
All data points in this thread would agree that within any one account, the prices are all the same.

The difference is noted by testing the same ride in different accounts, where one account has an Amex Plat and the other account does not.
Ohh.. I didn't get that.. However, the prices do seem allot firmer since I have had the Amex credits applied to my account.. But I cant confirm or document that.. just a feeling.. I did look at my LAX History and rides are about $3 more of late..
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper

When you look at the article in mia's link upthread, you can see how the addition of a personal Plat card to the account could very well be a factor in the Uber algorithm that quotes a fare based on the rider's price sensitivity. I don't claim to know either way, but I would think that having a personal Plat indicates the rider is probably wealthier than the average Uber rider.

I doubt we'll get useful information from Uber or Amex customer service agents. This is a question for corporate spokespersons, on the record. As I said above, this has the potential to be a serious legal problem for Amex and Uber if the card itself causes a spike in the prices quoted. Then the $15/mo. credit is illusory.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If any company would do this, which company would be the most likely?
Bingo. This would be fairly mild compared to some of their other shenanigans.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:42 am

Just check this out on my Uber App. Used CSR to work - $21.12, changed payment method to Plat - $35.57. Changed back to CSR - back to $21.12. Did this multiple times flipping between payments and it was the same prices everytime. That basically makes the credit useless if I'm using it for rides.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
When Uber VIP came out, a colleague of mine and I both noticed that the Uber VIP rides were costing as much as 16% more than the same trip for UberX without VIP.

The VIP benefit is supposed to be provided to American Express cardmembers at no charge.

The PR representative at Uber (not an agency) was more or less clueless with respect to this and could only say it's a known glitch and Uber was working on it.

See our report:
Review and FAQ: Uber VIP – What It Is and How It Works
Uber says that the cost of a VIP ride will be “at par” with the price of a non-VIP ride although, in our brief time as a VIP member, we’ve seen the price quoted as much as 16% higher....
<SNIP>
This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just tried four phones in my office, LA area to SNA (John Wayne Airport).

My app has Amex Plat. One other app had an Amex Plat previously. Two other apps have no premium cards. All were within 10 cents of each other. 3 iPhones and 1 Android.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:47 pm

Just tried four phones in my office, LA area to SNA (John Wayne Airport).

My app has Amex Plat. One other app had an Amex Plat previously. Two other apps have no premium cards. All were within 10 cents of each other. 3 iPhones and 1 Android.
Good Data Points.. Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I would wager they "canary" changes to the pricing algorithms to test the effect. Roll out to 1% of users, see if conversion rates fall, then 5%, see if conversion rates fall, then 10%, etc.

So some Plat users may be in the experiment buckets, some may not.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by uneeq
Just check this out on my Uber App. Used CSR to work - $21.12, changed payment method to Plat - $35.57. Changed back to CSR - back to $21.12. Did this multiple times flipping between payments and it was the same prices everytime. That basically makes the credit useless if I'm using it for rides.
Sounds like you may be a victim of the Uber VIP pricing glitch, given that you list DFW as your location. From the article linked by jspira:

"Uber VIP is only available in a few markets including Dallas, Denver, Nashville, New York City, and Washington, D.C......"

and

"Uber says that the cost of a VIP ride will be “at par” with the price of a non-VIP ride although, in our brief time as a VIP member, we’ve seen the price quoted as much as 16% higher."

Since Plat membership gives you Uber VIP status - and since you list DFW as your location - this may be the reason for the pricing differential.

It may also explain why some folks are seeing large price differences and others are not - would be interesting to know how many of the members reporting large price differences are in one of the Uber VIP cities listed above.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Sounds like you may be a victim of the Uber VIP pricing glitch, given that you list DFW as your location. From the article linked by jspira:

"Uber VIP is only available in a few markets including Dallas, Denver, Nashville, New York City, and Washington, D.C......"

and

"Uber says that the cost of a VIP ride will be “at par” with the price of a non-VIP ride although, in our brief time as a VIP member, we’ve seen the price quoted as much as 16% higher."

Since Plat membership gives you Uber VIP status - and since you list DFW as your location - this may be the reason for the pricing differential.

It may also explain why some folks are seeing large price differences and others are not - would be interesting to know how many of the members reporting large price differences are in one of the Uber VIP cities listed above.
The Uber PR person (who seemed to know far less about Uber VIP and the American Express deal than did my colleague or I) said to simply notify customer service and ask for a credit back based on non VIP pricing but in my case it was typically well under a dollar (maybe once it was $2) and wasn't worth the time.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I just tested with two separate accounts for NYC to EWR/LGA/JFK/office location on two separate phones using the following methodology:

1. Select origin on phone 1 (linked to AMEX Platinum).
2. Select identical origin on phone 2.
3. Search for destination on phone 1.
4. Search for destination on phone 2.
5. Select identical destination from search results on both phones simultaneously.
6. Repeat tests 3 times for each destinations listed above.

Prices were identical for UberX and UberPool in all instances. If you don't do step 5 simultaneously, then there would occasionally be a price difference.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Sounds like we should all do one Uber (or Uber Eats) each month and the rest Lyft.
That is exactly what I do.

I also go into the Privacy settings on my iPhone and change the Location setting for Uber from "Always" to "Never." Most other apps (including Lyft) have a setting "When using the App." Since Uber doesn't, I assume they want to track me even with I'm not using them.

When I do my monthly Uber I turn it back on, but turn it off and reboot when I'm done.

Unless something changes, I probably won't renew next year when I have to pay the increased AF. But in the meantime I'll take their money
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah - Uber Eats only has "never" and "while using."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.