Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
I received the gold card that I ordered for my wife.
I was surprised to see that it was a different account number - I had assumed I was simply adding an authorized user.

So, can I link this card to my current account, so that all the points go into the same place? Or will she need to set up her own online login separately? (She does not have any other AMEX cards.)
Each AU card has it's own number, but it's all linked to the same "master" account. Mrs. Lee and I are AUs for all of each others cards and that's how it works with Amex. We each have our own Amex logins, and basically whichever physical cards have our names on them show up in our respective accounts.

So, I am the primary cardholder on the Amex Plat account, and I see my primary card (as well as all of her charges to that account). She holds an AU card on the Plat account, and when she logs in she sees her Plat card and just her charges.

It all comes on one bill and all the points to to the same MR account (mine).
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:20 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by crimsona
All points go to the same membership rewards account even if you don't. You will see her transactions on your account. If you sign up an online account for her, it'll open up more amex offers, but she will only ever see her own transactions.

3 of the last 4 digits of an amex card are not random, you'll see that it says a lot.

If the last 4 digits are abbc,

A represents how many replacement cards were issued for that user, where 1 is first card, 2 is second due to lost or expired etc

BB represents the cardholder, where 00 is the primary cardholder, and 01 is the first authorized user. I assume this is why the max authorized user is capped at 99, because they can't issue any more after that

Last digit is a check digit
Originally Posted by gooselee
Each AU card has it's own number, but it's all linked to the same "master" account. Mrs. Lee and I are AUs for all of each others cards and that's how it works with Amex. We each have our own Amex logins, and basically whichever physical cards have our names on them show up in our respective accounts.

So, I am the primary cardholder on the Amex Plat account, and I see my primary card (as well as all of her charges to that account). She holds an AU card on the Plat account, and when she logs in she sees her Plat card and just her charges.

It all comes on one bill and all the points to to the same MR account (mine).
Thank you both! Very helpful! ^
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
Yeah, unlike, say Citi, where the additional card has the same account number, just a different name. It's virtually impossible to track who is charging what; I think you need to call them. What a joke.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Seems about 2 weeks is normal for the PP card to arrive. Anyone have real data on the turnaround for the PP card to arrive?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You don't actually need to card to enter most lounges because the Priority Pass smartphone app includes a virtual card feature. You need the Priority Pass account number and PIN to activate.

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/member-support/apps

Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-benefit.html
Old Apr 14, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Seems about 2 weeks is normal for the PP card to arrive. Anyone have real data on the turnaround for the PP card to arrive?
Yes. Took about 2 weeks for me. Feb 2017 join.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by mia
You don't actually need to card to enter most lounges because the Priority Pass smartphone app includes a virtual card feature. You need the Priority Pass account number and PIN to activate.
do you think it's really "most" at this point, and not just some? For example, I have been to some of the Alaska lounges (as a PP member) and they haven't had the scanners to using the PP app yet.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:50 am
mia

Originally Posted by nmenaker
do you think it's really "most" at this point...
prioritypass.com lists the locations that are supposed to be equipped to accept the virtual card. I know there are capacity issues at the AS lounges since the VX integration, and I would expect them to leave Priority Pass as AA, DL and UA did following their mergers. Might not be motivated to add the scanners.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/member-support/apps

Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-benefit.html
Thank you. I wouldn't have an account number until the card arrives though, correct?

Last edited by dinanm3atl; Apr 14, 2017 at 11:28 am
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:34 am
mia

Thank you. I wouldn't have an account number until the card arrives though, correct?
American Express customer service can help you obtain the Priority Pass card number before the physical Priority Pass card arrives, if you ask politely and have a story about impending travel etc.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by mia
American Express customer service can help you obtain the Priority Pass card number before the physical Priority Pass card arrives, if you ask politely and have a story about impending travel etc.
You can also call PP and they'll provide you with the number if AMEX has sent over your information to them.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:04 pm

Appreciate the quick replies. I'll do that.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:24 pm

Another question as I couldn't easier find it(probably someplace I just didn't look). Had the targeted offer and working on the spend requirements for the bonus points. Is there a spot to check the current progress? I can manually keep track but want to make sure they are valid purchases or valid for the promotion.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
do you think it's really "most" at this point, and not just some? For example, I have been to some of the Alaska lounges (as a PP member) and they haven't had the scanners to using the PP app yet.
In my experience, even if they don't have the machine or the scanner doesn't read, they manually punch in your account number. At this point I only show the phone. Sometimes it's more work for them, but have never been asked for the physical card.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:46 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Another question as I couldn't easier find it(probably someplace I just didn't look). Had the targeted offer and working on the spend requirements for the bonus points. Is there a spot to check the current progress? I can manually keep track but want to make sure they are valid purchases or valid for the promotion.
You can chat online and the customer service rep can tell you your progress.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.