Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dw
So I had actually started putting some airfare purchases on my Plat due to the 5x points enhancement... Then last month I was out of town and incurred a delay of THREE DAYS in returning home due to the winter storm on the East Coast. When I received notification of my flight cancellation, knowing that it would be likely several days before I could get back, I frantically searched for my e-ticket receipt in my e-mails, breathing a sigh of relief when I saw that I'd actually used my Chase Sapphire Reserve for the purchase.

Chase's travel delay insurance just approved my claim in the amount of over $850 (there were two passengers). Going forward, I don't think I'll be using my Amex on airfare purchases anymore as I wouldn't consider 5x MR more valuable than 3x Chase Ultimate Rewards + travel delay insurance.

I understand that Amex has issues with conflicts with affiliate business lines, since they also sell travel insurance... but considering how many Citi and Chase cards now have travel cancellation and travel delay insurance... I think it's a real gap in Amex's offering and hopefully something they continue to consider for any future benefit additions.
I've been doing the same thing, and I'm even trying to meet a minimum spend on an ax upgrade!

Originally Posted by ntr91
I think adding the package of included protections that the CSR has would have made the increased fee much more palatable. Most of the time, 5x MRs > 3x URs. But that one time that you're stuck due to IRROPS, being able to pick your hotel room and restaurants rather than being stuck wherever the airline puts you negates all of the extra points you earned on the Plat.
I got stuck in ATL with the DL fiasco in August. Citi Prestige paid out the $200 in excess of my third party travel insurance. And that $200 was fees on an award ticket. For major and complicated trips before CSR, I've been getting independent travel insurance, but since then, I've been using CSR exclusively for travel bookings.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
So I had actually started putting some airfare purchases on my Plat due to the 5x points enhancement... Then last month I was out of town and incurred a delay of THREE DAYS in returning home due to the winter storm on the East Coast. When I received notification of my flight cancellation, knowing that it would be likely several days before I could get back, I frantically searched for my e-ticket receipt in my e-mails, breathing a sigh of relief when I saw that I'd actually used my Chase Sapphire Reserve for the purchase.

Chase's travel delay insurance just approved my claim in the amount of over $850 (there were two passengers). Going forward, I don't think I'll be using my Amex on airfare purchases anymore as I wouldn't consider 5x MR more valuable than 3x Chase Ultimate Rewards + travel delay insurance.

I understand that Amex has issues with conflicts with affiliate business lines, since they also sell travel insurance... but considering how many Citi and Chase cards now have travel cancellation and travel delay insurance... I think it's a real gap in Amex's offering and hopefully something they continue to consider for any future benefit additions.
Same with me - used it during a snow-related delay last year and now I only put airfare on the AX if it's a one way ticket where I assume the travel delay protection doesn't apply. AmEx should up the travel protections.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Looking like for my needs this will work but wanted to ask a few more questions from experienced users instead of the online chat which sometimes they don't actually know for sure answers since they don't know.

Priority Pass Select - This you sign up, assume through AMEX portal, and thus easy access/benefit to use since you have the actual membership card. Is this correct?

DL SkyClubs - Have current membership. Having this card would free up a choice benefit and thus be extra beneficial. What is the process on the day of the flight to access SkyClubs? With my membership I scan my boarding pass or actual SkyClub membership card and granted access.

I would utilize this a lot.

5x Travel Points - IE if I book through delta.com I get 5x points. Which then could use directly or transfer to SkyMiles account. My Delta Amex Plat is only 2x at most! Straight forward and easy to use it would seem?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:06 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Priority Pass Select - This you sign up, assume through AMEX portal, and thus easy access/benefit to use since you have the actual membership card. Is this correct?

DL SkyClubs - Have current membership. Having this card would free up a choice benefit and thus be extra beneficial. What is the process on the day of the flight to access SkyClubs? With my membership I scan my boarding pass or actual SkyClub membership card and granted access.

I would utilize this a lot.

5x Travel Points - IE if I book through delta.com I get 5x points. Which then could use directly or transfer to SkyMiles account. My Delta Amex Plat is only 2x at most! Straight forward and easy to use it would seem?
See this thread for Priority Pass and other benefits:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-do-list.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-benefit.html

The Platinum Card does not give you a Skyclub membership, only Skyclub access when flying DL. To enter present your boarding pass and Platinum Card.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ion-delta.html

Membership Rewards points must be manually transferred to airline accounts. Transfers to Delta are in increments of 1,000 and there is a fee $0.0006 per point for transfers to domestic airlines, including Delta. The fee is capped at $99 per transfer. There is no fee when transferring to foreign carriers.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Safari browser when you try to enroll in benefits get stuck in an endless load screen. Had to use Firefox for every single one. And the rental car 'enroll' link is a "Load Error 505" whatever.

Quick question - The 5x points on hotels has to go through amextravel.com - Will it recognize Hilton/SPG Gold? And you get 5x points AND then get their own reward program? Or because it's not direct won't get points? IE no cake and eat it too?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:41 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Safari browser when you try to enroll in benefits get stuck in an endless load screen. Had to use Firefox for every single one. And the rental car 'enroll' link is a "Load Error 505" whatever.

Quick question - The 5x points on hotels has to go through amextravel.com - Will it recognize Hilton/SPG Gold? And you get 5x points AND then get their own reward program? Or because it's not direct won't get points? IE no cake and eat it too?
No cake and eating it too. It's like booking through Expedia, no benefits and no points. To add insult to injury FHR is not 5x eligible. It's a phantom benefit.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by C W
No cake and eating it too. It's like booking through Expedia, no benefits and no points. To add insult to injury FHR is not 5x eligible. It's a phantom benefit.
Assumed as much. Wish at least 'gold status' was recognized.

What is "FHR"?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:44 am
C W

Assumed as much. Wish at least 'gold status' was recognized.

What is "FHR"?
Fine Hotels and Resorts. Amex's partnership with nicer hotels where you do actually get points and elite benefits on bookings, plus additional benefits similar to mid-tier hotel status and usually food and beverage credits.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by C W
Fine Hotels and Resorts. Amex's partnership with nicer hotels where you do actually get points and elite benefits on bookings, plus additional benefits similar to mid-tier hotel status and usually food and beverage credits.
Gotcha. Thanks for quick replies. For the most part except traveling with wife the main portal for Hilton/Marriot/SPG is in line with my business travel.

FHR would be a special occasion thing so not a huge deal for me.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold

Originally Posted by C W
Yeah, I was told by Hilton that to get HHonors points, your stay must be booked directly through the HHonors website only.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:52 am
C W

Gotcha. Thanks for quick replies. For the most part except traveling with wife the main portal for Hilton/Marriot/SPG is in line with my business travel.

FHR would be a special occasion thing so not a huge deal for me.
No problem. You'll just have to choose which you value more, 5x or elite benefits.

There is a thread specifically to discuss the new Platinum benefits:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by C W
There is a thread specifically to discuss the new Platinum benefits:
...and this discussion has now been moved into that very thread .
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:01 pm

Oops. Sorry.

Thanks for the replies.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:14 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I received the gold card that I ordered for my wife.
I was surprised to see that it was a different account number - I had assumed I was simply adding an authorized user.

So, can I link this card to my current account, so that all the points go into the same place? Or will she need to set up her own online login separately? (She does not have any other AMEX cards.)
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:52 pm

All points go to the same membership rewards account even if you don't. You will see her transactions on your account. If you sign up an online account for her, it'll open up more amex offers, but she will only ever see her own transactions.

3 of the last 4 digits of an amex card are not random, you'll see that it says a lot.

If the last 4 digits are abbc,

A represents how many replacement cards were issued for that user, where 1 is first card, 2 is second due to lost or expired etc

BB represents the cardholder, where 00 is the primary cardholder, and 01 is the first authorized user. I assume this is why the max authorized user is capped at 99, because they can't issue any more after that

Last digit is a check digit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.