Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
With the value received of lounge access, it's not simply whether you would have paid for access. It's also whether you got food, drink and reading materials you otherwise would have paid for outside the lounge.
As someone who usually flies twice a week through OAK, it's only taken a week or two to make back the $50 difference ($450 fee first year) in food/drink at the Escape Lounge (plus the PP AF lounge at SFO). No idea what I'll ultimately use MR points for - they don't really have a use in my normal travel habits now - but the card is easily worth it for the lounge access.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Majuki
$200 airline credit - Judging by the number of posts on the thread about how to break apart the charges so AA gift cards look like "airline fees", it looks like there are quite a few having difficulty making use of this benefit.
As you can see from the multiple threads, hardly anyone has ever had any difficulty getting the $200 in credits via airline gift cards -- on any airline.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm unsure how much this math extends to the general case:
But the general case doesn't matter to the individual. If that math makes sense to a single person, then the card is beneficial/justifiable/etc. for that person. Full stop.

The CSR is far easier to justify mathematically for me than the Platinum.
I have no doubt that this is true...for you. For others, the CSR may provide a very different value, and those two outcomes are not mutually exclusive.

Sorry if this comes across as coming down on you as an individual. That's certainly not my intent. However it gets somewhat tiresome to see someone post that a particular card/program/benefit/change is valuable or beneficial to them, only to immediately have others tell them they're wrong because those same benefits can't be similarly maximized by everyone in the known universe.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:03 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by gooselee
But the general case doesn't matter to the individual. If that math makes sense to a single person, then the card is beneficial/justifiable/etc. for that person. Full stop.

I have no doubt that this is true...for you. For others, the CSR may provide a very different value, and those two outcomes are not mutually exclusive.

Sorry if this comes across as coming down on you as an individual. That's certainly not my intent. However it gets somewhat tiresome to see someone post that a particular card/program/benefit/change is valuable or beneficial to them, only to immediately have others tell them they're wrong because those same benefits can't be similarly maximized by everyone in the known universe.
I'm with you on this one.

Hearing CSR and Plat comparisons all the time is becoming very tiresome. They are both very good products but they are extremely different and whether each or both is justifiable for somebody depends massively on their flying, traveling, and spending habits and preferences.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I welcome the CSR and Plat comparisons, and I hope Amex and Chase keep upping the ante in their intense competition. They're both great cards. I'm one of many here who use both.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by dhuey
I welcome the CSR and Plat comparisons, and I hope Amex and Chase keep upping the ante in their intense competition. They're both great cards. I'm one of many here who use both.
As am I!

Originally Posted by gooselee

Sorry if this comes across as coming down on you as an individual.
I didn't read it that way. Also, I am not saying anybody is making a bad choice by going with the Platinum over or in addition to the CSR. I know multiple people who've chosen the Platinum over the CSR when comparing the benefits that work for the individual.

However, why did everyone flock to the CSR when it debuted, and it seems like everybody, including those who aren't on FlyerTalk or avid readers of the various blogs or travel sites, has the CSR? A few years ago, most people outside of this community were when I told them I had a card with a $450 annual fee. Since the CSR (and other similar prestige cards) debuted, it's no longer out of the ordinary.

I'm not disputing that things like ordering airline gift cards work for the $200 credit. My point is that people have to game the system to make use of the benefit. For instance, if the $200 credit were restricted to the items that are published (no gift cards, no upgrades, no ticket purchases), would people still have a use for the credit?

With the new $550 annual fee, there is $100 more to justify to keep the card. I think both the $200 airline credit and $200 Uber credit likely have some weight adjustments to their value which is at most 1x. Beyond the benefits, how often are people using this card for many purchases? The number of times this card comes out of my wallet each year is equal to my entries into a Centurion Lounge plus paying my Admirals Club membership renewal fee to use the $200. I’m also not invested enough in MR to make use of the 5x MR on airline ticket purchases. It is also likely that those people who are invested in MR are using other card products to make purchases outside of the 5x bonus category. This means that holding the Platinum card is purely for the card benefits without an intention to do any significant amount of spending on the card.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:34 pm

However, why did everyone flock to the CSR when it debuted..
The 100k bonus. Now that the bonus is 50k and closing of the 2x $300 first year credit, it's not that sexy anymore.

...and it seems like everybody, including those who aren't on FlyerTalk or avid readers of the various blogs or travel sites, has the CSR?
Among my circle of friends, employees and family, only 1 or maybe 2 have the CSR. It's the same for the Plat.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:03 pm

Just paid the renewal for my plat, still $475. When it does go up to $550 next year I'll have to decide whether it's worth keeping. As it stands, the only benefits that I can't get elsewhere is the SPG/Marriott gold and centurion lounge.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Troopers
The 100k bonus. Now that the bonus is 50k and closing of the 2x $300 first year credit, it's not that sexy anymore.
This. Outside of FT people that I know who have the card, of the ones I've talked to about it none of them intend to keep it past the first renewal. One guy is a manager at my old job said he got one for him and another for his wife just for the bonus which he'll transfer to United to move him and the family around. The couple I know that are my age said they took the UR as a statement credit.

The card was a no brainer for anybody who could get approved when the bonus was 100k and you could double dip the travel credit. Now it requires more thought if it makes sense.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
This. Outside of FT people that I know who have the card, of the ones I've talked to about it none of them intend to keep it past the first renewal. One guy is a manager at my old job said he got one for him and another for his wife just for the bonus which he'll transfer to United to move him and the family around. The couple I know that are my age said they took the UR as a statement credit.

The card was a no brainer for anybody who could get approved when the bonus was 100k and you could double dip the travel credit. Now it requires more thought if it makes sense.
50k UR is in line with industry standard (read amex plat and citi prestige). And just like the plat, I assume that it'll eventually get up to 100k for some limited time. But without the travel credit double dipping it lags behind behind both amex and citi who still allows double dipping. It's going to be a card for me to get (after 5/24), but probably not one to keep.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I signed up for Amex Plat earlier this month. Would the spend involving airline fee credit (if credited) count towards the minimum spend for the sign up bonus?

Also, I didn't seem to get the credit reimbursed for a $100 GC purchase with AA.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
... didn't seem to get the credit reimbursed for a $100 GC purchase with AA.
Did you select AA as your carrier before buying the card? Extensive discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-aa-only.html
Old May 31, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Would the spend involving airline fee credit (if credited) count towards the minimum spend for the sign up bonus?
Yes, it counts toward spend.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Apologies for my relative inexperience in using AMEX.

Originally Posted by mia
Did you select AA as your carrier before buying the card? Extensive discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-aa-only.html
Yes. I did it the day before buying the card. But I shouldn't call AMEX right...

Originally Posted by eajusa
Yes, it counts toward spend.
Chat rep said it won't - should I safely ignore her?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:45 am

Chat rep said it won't - should I safely ignore her?
Every data point suggests that this spend counts, but honestly if it were me I'd put an extra $200 on the card just to be safe. Doesn't seem worth it to risk the entire signup bonus over such a relatively trivial amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.