Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Hertz status is a standard feature of the Platinum card. Have you "matched" something to a higher status level? I know there is/was a way to match the included National status to Hertz Five Star, but do you mean something different?
That's what I meant, 5 Star.

Last edited by mdosu; Jun 22, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by gooselee
The AU Plat cards didn't get the $200 airline fee credit ...
Was this a recent change? It used to be possible.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Was this a recent change? It used to be possible.
Maybe he meant that the AU cards don't each get their own $200. AFAIK the $200 is across the account. As long as it's the same airline
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
AFAIK the $200 is across the account
Ah, OK, that's what it is.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:35 pm

btw, I was able to successfully share the Uber credit with someone else. I don't use Uber, but my sister in law does. So I gave her my card number, she entered it on her Uber account and could claim the credit every month. It did require me to remove my amex card from my uber account though, and took some time for it all to resync.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
This!

I conservatively put a $40/ breakfast for two. 7 days per year that's a minimum benefit that's worth it

And here is how I justify the Amex plat. At $450, per uber days. $250 af totally worth it for SPG gold.

Why? Because the only other way id get Marriott gold is to put $10k on my Ritz, whose earn rate is brutal.

I value Marriott points at 0.7c and united miles at 2.4c minimum.

$10k on Ritz gets me $70 of value.
id rather put that spend on united Club for 10k UA Miles worth $240. Saving that $170 of opportunity cost makes the current Amex AF easier to swallow.

//edit Long day. $10k on united club is 15k Miles. Worth $360 to me. So the opportunity cost saved by Amex giving me SPG gold is $290. Once Amex loses SPG (I doubt chase will give it up easily) that will be another point against keeping it.

haha, great minds think alike. But you think you're eating $40 worth of breakfast? Are you staying in Manhattan Marriott or something? I put my estimate at $10 per person at most for Marriott Gold status. Most places I stay, I feel like I can grab a breakfast for $5 including fruit.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Is there any DPs of getting another Amex bonus with no lifetime language and actually redeeming it successfully?

I have a Platinum card and have since 2013. For fun, I went through "my offers" on Amex using my new address and the 100,000 offer popped up. There is no lifetime language in the offer, in contrast to the public offer that has it at the top in big bold letters.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rmsDisclosures

Has anyone tried for this?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:40 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by zorbachs
Is there any DPs of getting another Amex bonus with no lifetime language and actually redeeming it successfully?

I have a Platinum card and have since 2013. For fun, I went through "my offers" on Amex using my new address and the 100,000 offer popped up. There is no lifetime language in the offer, in contrast to the public offer that has it at the top in big bold letters.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...rmsDisclosures

Has anyone tried for this?
If it's what it looks like, you're very lucky!!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by zorbachs
Yes. There is some discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-language.html

...but the reports of success or failure are scattered across the threads discussing various offers, and not aggregated in one place. Be careful to save a copy of the offer terms -and- read carefully the terms displayed on the actual application pages.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If you are in the Hamptons at all this summer you can get a reservation at EMP Summer House in East Hampton either online or via the AMEX concierge.

Must have AMEX Plat or Centurion to make reservation. Ate there last week and while it obviously wasn't ElevenMadisonPark it was still very good. They've brought their entire staff including the kitchen out to the pop-up (EMP in the city is closed) so the quality is still quite high and everything we had was delicious (corn and truffle flatbread, tuna sashimi, and dessert topped the list for our table).

Nice perk if you happen to be up there at all this summer - believe they are there through Labor Day.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
If you are in the Hamptons at all this summer you can get a reservation at EMP Summer House in East Hampton either online or via the AMEX concierge.

Must have AMEX Plat or Centurion to make reservation. Ate there last week and while it obviously wasn't ElevenMadisonPark it was still very good. They've brought their entire staff including the kitchen out to the pop-up (EMP in the city is closed) so the quality is still quite high and everything we had was delicious (corn and truffle flatbread, tuna sashimi, and dessert topped the list for our table).

Nice perk if you happen to be up there at all this summer - believe they are there through Labor Day.
I saw this event posted on Amex's facebook. I hope they do more events like this in my metro area.

BTW, how much was the meal? And how did you find out about these events?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:21 am

No AF increase

I got an email from Amex this morning that the AF on my personal plat isnt increasing to $550, but staying at $450. I've had it for 2 years now so was pre-AF increase. Are they grandfathering people in at $450?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The fee increase was scheduled to take effect with renewals 9.1.2017 or later. When is your renewal date?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by mia
The fee increase was scheduled to take effect with renewals 9.1.2017 or later. When is your renewal date?
July. The way the email read it seemed like i would stay at $450 for the future
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by cplush
July. The way the email read it seemed like i would stay at $450 for the future
Can you quote the email?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.