Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

How common are targeted offers without once-in-a-lifetime language?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:53 am
Original Poster

This past fall I received an offer to a company I own for 100k MR after 10k in spend in 3 months. I applied for the card, hit the bonus, received the points and cancelled the card all within 45 days. Yesterday I received the same offer again to the same company. Can I do this again or is it a mistake Amex will catch after the fact?

Any experience/insight would be appreciated.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:23 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
From what I understand on the business version of the card you can receive multiple signup bonuses.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Los_Pepes
...is it a mistake Amex will catch after the fact?
Read the terms of the new offer. Most business card offers state:

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product within the last 12 months.
This means you would be eligible for another new account bonus 12 months after you closed the previous account. If you closed the card in the Autumn of 2015 it is too soon, unless the new offer does not include this statement.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG
Targeted AMEX Gold - once per lifetime bonus?

Hey guys,

I received a targeted AMEX gold 50k miles offer in the mail. I used to hold an AMEX gold in 2013-2014 before cancelling it. I thought that the "welcome" 50k bonuses were now once per lifetime.

So my question is, did they change the policy and now I can get the 50k since I was targeted or is AMEX just teasing me with offers I can't redeem?

Thanks,

Blue
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:11 pm
mia

If your offer includes this sentence you are not eligible: This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product. A number of others have recently reported receiving targeted offers without that sentence. If you do apply, please report back to verify that you received the bonus.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, SPG
Interesting, I don't see that language.

Funny how the definition of "lifetime" changes after your investors lose 33% of their money in a year haha!
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:55 pm
mia

Originally Posted by BlueEyedDevil

Funny how the definition of "lifetime" changes
American Express has not used that word. It's appartent that the lookback period for "... have had this product" is seven years (not lifetime), and there have been targeted offers without the exclusion since early on, but there do seem to be more now.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:12 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:28 am
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
Friend of mine who had the PRG back in 2013 got the targeted offer, applied, met the minimum spend, and chatted in to verify the requirements were met. He was told that he wasn't eligible because he had the card before. When he referenced the targeted offer, the agent asked for the offer details and RSVP code and said they need 15 days for an update and possibly 6-8 weeks to resolve fully.
The Targeted Offer has the following language on the 50K bonus

OFFER TERMS

50,000 Membership Rewards Points
You must charge $1,000 of eligible purchases on the Premier Rewards Gold Card within the first three months of Card Membership to receive the 50,000 points starting from the date your account is approved. In rare instances, your period to spend $1,000 may be shorter than three months if there is a delay in receiving your Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the three month period in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped). Points will be credited to your Program account within 6-8 weeks after you have met the spending requirement. Qualifying purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. The following charges do NOT count towards the spending requirement: fees or interest charges; balance transfers; cash advances; purchases of travelers checks; purchases or reloading of prepaid cards; or purchases of other cash equivalents. Some American Express® Cards are not eligible for enrollment in the program. For questions regarding your Card account, please call the number on the back of your Card. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time.

As you can see there is no language refers to ineligibility, except that the last sentence is sneaky and a bit bothersome. Hopefully your friend would eventually receive a positive resolution as each targeted offer has a unique RSVP code, and an offer ID. The snail fancy mail and the email offer I got has a different offer ID, differed by the last digit. However on the application page, once you click open the Offer Terms, the language there are almost identical.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:34 am

------

Last edited by crimsonAA; Nov 14, 2017 at 7:28 am
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
The Targeted Offer has the following language on the 50K bonus

OFFER TERMS

50,000 Membership Rewards Points
You must charge $1,000 of eligible purchases on the Premier Rewards Gold Card within the first three months of Card Membership to receive the 50,000 points starting from the date your account is approved. In rare instances, your period to spend $1,000 may be shorter than three months if there is a delay in receiving your Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the three month period in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped). Points will be credited to your Program account within 6-8 weeks after you have met the spending requirement. Qualifying purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. The following charges do NOT count towards the spending requirement: fees or interest charges; balance transfers; cash advances; purchases of travelers checks; purchases or reloading of prepaid cards; or purchases of other cash equivalents. Some American Express® Cards are not eligible for enrollment in the program. For questions regarding your Card account, please call the number on the back of your Card. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time.

As you can see there is no language refers to ineligibility, except that the last sentence is sneaky and a bit bothersome. Hopefully your friend would eventually receive a positive resolution as each targeted offer has a unique RSVP code, and an offer ID. The snail fancy mail and the email offer I got has a different offer ID, differed by the last digit. However on the application page, once you click open the Offer Terms, the language there are almost identical.
AMEX has not the right to unilaterally change the terms of the contract to which AMEX bound itself when OP entered said contract by accepting the terms of said contract and applied for said card.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsonAA
Her points posted yesterday. All taken care of without any further follow-up.

Possible (in fact, likely) that they would have posted automatically anyway, even had she not chatted.
Good to know! Thanks for the report.
How long it takes for her to see her bonus from time she met the spend and paid the bill? And did she have Membership Reward cards currently (i.e. an active Membership Reward account?)

Would like to keep this thread active so there would be a thread to deposit data points from Targeted Offers which as observed by mia, are getting more common, as a new model AMEX is using to keep its card portfolio growing while controlling the costs.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
AMEX has not the right to unilaterally change the terms of the contract to which AMEX bound itself when OP entered said contract by accepting the terms of said contract and applied for said card.
Agree - though the issuer does have the right to terminate an offer at any given time without prior notice, and I believe that sentence is more to that effect.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:07 am

Signon Bonus through Amex Offers

Yesterday, I logged into my Amex account and saw a Platinum business card offer of 75k MR points card opening bonus after $5k spending. Having had this card with bonus before, I remember the offer may not be subject to one per lifetime limit, as others discussed. However, after some clueless research, the offer simply disappeared from my account. Later, when logged into my Amex account again with another computer, the offer re-appeared. This morning, it disappeared again.
You can guess the questions I'd ask: 1. can I get bonus again if I applied and got approved? 2. any explanation/experience of the offer's disappearance?
Has the topic been discussed somewhere in this forum, please forward me to the thread.
Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:31 am
mia

Originally Posted by plainheart
.... can I get bonus again if I applied and got approved?
Card approval is not a guarantee that you are eligible for a bonus. You need to read, and save a copy of, the terms of the offer.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by mia
Card approval is not a guarantee that you are eligible for a bonus. You need to read, and save a copy of, the terms of the offer.
I don't remember the terms include words such as "not available to previous card holders". However, the offer is not displayed in my account so I cannot confirm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.