Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
My 100K points were clawed back in August (applied platinum May 100k offer).. They blamed returns.. Then i explained how returns didnt affect the required 3K spend.. Then the rep took a complaint and said someone will call in 5 days.. Got a call and now he blamed buying giftcards.. I did buy visa giftcards online on target.. Does Amex get Level 3 data for online target.com orders? Should I try CFPB complaint? NEVER had any PLATINUM before and this is my first..

I still have 250K Amex points..

Not sure how to proceed..

Last edited by sowhatwegetdrunk; Nov 5, 2016 at 1:19 pm
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by extremeromance
Can't really blame Amex for cracking down on questionable behavior.
Neither do I for the record nor do I have an issue in them cutting unprofitable customers after all they are a business. I am just trying to figure out what Amex deems questionable the devil as always is in the details. And Amex has had more than its share of questionable behavior in this thread as well. There is plenty of mud to sling around here.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
Got a call and now he blamed buying giftcards.. I did buy visa giftcards online on target.. Does Amex get Level 3 data for online target.com orders? Should I try CFPB complaint? NEVER had any PLATINUM before and this is my first..
You can do whatever you want but if you are buying the giftcards from target that I think you are I don't think you will have a leg to stand on since they say prepaid right on them and the terms are clear about prepaid cards not counting for bonus spend.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
You can do whatever you want but if you are buying the giftcards from target that I think you are I don't think you will have a leg to stand on since they say prepaid right on them and the terms are clear about prepaid cards not counting for bonus spend.
Well.. I just wanted to know from others experience about how Amex will know that or prove that.. Or is it worth a shot for me without risking a complete shut down of all my amex cards?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by LWT3
Except companies just don't do what you're asking Amex to do. "Make it really, really easy for me to churn, please!"
Barclays does. And it does not make it easy to churn. Saying "no bonus for you" from the start sends us churners away, never to return.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhuey
Barclays does. And it does not make it easy to churn. Saying "no bonus for you" from the start sends us churners away, never to return.
Agreed. AMEX not informing customers is akin to a bait and switch.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:01 am

Well.. I just wanted to know from others experience about how Amex will know that or prove that.. Or is it worth a shot for me without risking a complete shut down of all my amex cards?
What shot? What are you going to say in your complaint? You did not meet the written terms of the offer, and Amex knows that. There are people who did meet the terms who are fighting to get what they are owed. Why do you think someone who did not comply with the offfer will (or should) get the 100k?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:14 am
Suspended

Yes you should pursue it. AMEX will give up eventually as the cost to benefit ratio doesn't make sense for them.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:02 am

i know there were a lot of Amex MR clawback for the 100K personal platinum card.

what i would like to know is, since the whole debacle, has there has been any DP out there indicating that the MR clawback is not limited to just the 100K personal plat - when min spend is achieved partially or almost exclusively with MS.

thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
... any DP out there indicating that the MR clawback is not limited ...
We have a report of frozen points and a spending audit on Premier Rewards Gold.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
This is disturbing. Note the poster got the offer via incognito...
Looks like if the offer is not publicly available on AMEX site, or the applicant being invited by mailer or email, the account would be frozen pending scrutiny.

Instead of modify the program in giving out bonus, AMEX is targeted offer URLs to identify accounts they want to review - freeze the reward account first, then take their time to do the review. Meanwhile the account holder could not even use the existing balance. Really bad business practice of AMEX - presume cardholder guilty until being proven innocent. That is not how this country works.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:38 pm

I have no real luck with JAMS mediation. Submitted the claim online - never got a response. Then emailed it to them. They are figuring out what to do with it now, but I think they will just refuse to work on it. AAA wanted money upfront: no way.

I probably will bring the matter to Small Claims.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader
What shot? What are you going to say in your complaint? You did not meet the written terms of the offer, and Amex knows that. There are people who did meet the terms who are fighting to get what they are owed. Why do you think someone who did not comply with the offfer will (or should) get the 100k?
It's important to distinguish offer in a lay sense, and the same term in contract law. Here, it is actually the applicant who is making an offer. Amex then does its credit analysis and decides whether to the accept that offer. I submit that an applicant who applies on via a "bonus point offer" (lay sense) is offering to take the deal with the points. If Amex accepts the offer and says nothing about how it will not give that applicant bonus points, the terms of the agreed-upon contract include the bonus points.

To be sure, there is room for debate on these points. That's what lawyers do.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Originally Posted by Happy
This is disturbing. Note the poster got the offer via incognito...
Looks like if the offer is not publicly available on AMEX site, or the applicant being invited by mailer or email, the account would be frozen pending scrutiny.

Instead of modify the program in giving out bonus, AMEX is targeted offer URLs to identify accounts they want to review - freeze the reward account first, then take their time to do the review. Meanwhile the account holder could not even use the existing balance. Really bad business practice of AMEX - presume cardholder guilty until being proven innocent. That is not how this country works.
shucks... i got my Amex Gold 25K through incognito too. i guess i better use organic spend then.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
It's important to distinguish offer in a lay sense, and the same term in contract law. Here, it is actually the applicant who is making an offer. Amex then does its credit analysis and decides whether to the accept that offer. I submit that an applicant who applies on via a "bonus point offer" (lay sense) is offering to take the deal with the points. If Amex accepts the offer and says nothing about how it will not give that applicant bonus points, the terms of the agreed-upon contract include the bonus points.

To be sure, there is room for debate on these points. That's what lawyers do.
Interesting way to view the offer/acceptance. But if I read your thought corrrectly, that's a bit like writing 'paid in full' in the memo tab of your mortgage check, then arguing that the bank cashed it so the mortgage is paid off.

The reality is that whoever made the legal offer, the Amex' language excluding GCs from initial spend to earn bonus is still part of the terms. And sowhatwegetdrunk admits to relying on GCs for minimum spend. So I still don't see his 'shot'. Does he just keep filing generic complaints, ignoring GC rule, hoping Amex gives up (as TMM1982 recommends)?

As I've suggested before, biggest risk here is that some of Amex' antics in this case become SOP in the future.

Last edited by Mountain Trader; Nov 8, 2016 at 6:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.