Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Falimz
The point is, this is ultimately AMEX's fault, not their customer's. It would be like best buy freezing all your existing reward points because you bought an item that had a price mistake.
A more appropriate analogy would be if BB froze your existing reward points because you bought an item through a link that was not intended for you/public use and was hacked which allowed you to purchase the item.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
A more appropriate analogy would be if BB froze your existing reward points because you bought an item through a link that was not intended for you/public use and was hacked which allowed you to purchase the item.
Nothing was hacked. Someone screwing around with a URL isn't hacking.

Also, guaranteed BB never freezes your points for buying something through a portal they never intended.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Falimz
Nothing was hacked. Someone screwing around with a URL isn't hacking.
Semantics. Screwing around with a URL to gain access is unauthorized access, which is the definition of hacking.

Also, guaranteed BB never freezes your points for buying something through a portal they never intended.
Why don't you screw around with a BB URL to give yourself 100k reward points and report back?

In any case, if you're not a happy Amex customer, I suggest you take your business elsewhere. I would.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:35 pm

My MR acct is now frozen too after applying for the 100K MR Bonus (round 2). I tried buying a gc as a test and got the dreaded msg "Your acct is under review to validate if the points are valid" Dammit, I'm not sure what to do now. Applied for both myself and SO and now I'm considering cancelling the cards before annual fee becomes nonrefundable. My existing 15K MR points will probably be in limbo for who knows how long.

Any Suggestion?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:57 pm

Assuming you were always happy to pay the AF to get the points then I don't see why you'd cancel. Assuming Amex follows the same pattern as the first go round as long as you meet their view of their terms you'll get your 100k MR and be unfrozen after several months. Since you basically get most or all the AF back in airline/GE fees it is not huge risk in my book. It sucks and it is pretty poorly handled by Amex but as noted above you should have known this was a risk going in.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TheGreatMongo
...I tried buying a gc as a test and got the dreaded msg ...
Did you buy only one prepaid card? Have you completed the required spend? Do you still have time to spend to meet the threshold?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Did you buy only one prepaid card? Have you completed the required spend? Do you still have time to spend to meet the threshold?
OP applied in Round 2, late Nov application. So, OP should have plenty of time to meet spend.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by mia
My interpretation was he was trying to buy a giftcard with MR points from his existing balance to see if it was frozen not that he was buying a prepaid card to MS. He should have plenty of time to met spend because the reference to round 2 is I assume the 11.23/16 leaked link (round one being the May one).
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:12 pm

I got the plat cards 2 days ago and did 2k gcs @ CVS yesterday prior to learning about frozen accts. I also ended up buying $100 amazon gc via mpx and then later learn people were nolonger seeing travel credits posted to their accts.

I still have 3months time to meet the spend organically (6k btwn SO and I), but i'm not sure i can stomach the $900 AF ($450x2) not knowing if I will or will not get the points.

I already have the biz plat and brg and ms'd on both for MR bonus points this year. I'm thinking AMEX would careless if I meet the spend requirement on the Personal Plat, they would probably deny me the 100K MR b/c my acct review would showed I MS'd to get the bonus on the Biz Plat and BRG.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
MPX doesn't work anymore?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:23 pm

I think you're at risk at losing all MR. I would spend meet the min spend organically on 2x Plat (and the Biz Plat and BRG if you're within the timeframe).
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
I think you're at risk at losing all MR. I would spend meet the min spend organically on 2x Plat (and the Biz Plat and BRG if you're within the timeframe).
I got already got the Biz Plat and BRG bonus (Met spend req. via MS) and transferred those points out in Sept. I still have about 15K MR bal and was hoping to add another 100K with the personal Plat. I wouldn't blame AMEX for not issuing me 100K MR even with organic spend on the personal PLAT thus why i'm thinking my best choice is to cancel before the AF becomes non-refundable.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen
MPX doesn't work anymore?
It's been over a week since any were reimbursed and panic has set in (as it did this time last year).

Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-ua-only.html
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:36 pm

Bottom line if you are uncomfortable then cut your losses.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Bottom line if you are uncomfortable then cut your losses.
I agree. At this point, I'm waiting to see if amex will reimburse travel credit and will likely cancel both our cards early next yr.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.