Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy now applies to both personal & BUSINESS cards [USA].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For earlier discussion of the restriction's application to personal cards, see Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA].

It is essential to read the terms of the specific offer, but in general:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  • You can only earn one new account bonus for each card issued by American Express in the USA. We do not know precisely how far back American Express looks to see if you have previously held the same card, but there is anecdotal evidence that the Customer Service database looks back only seven years. This means that if you cancelled a card in 2007 or earlier, and have not held it since, you will probably qualify for a new account bonus in 2015.
  • Holding a related card does not disqualify earning a new account bonus. Examples: Green, Gold, and Platinum are each separate products. Delta Gold, Platinum and Reserve are each separate products. The Hilton credit card is a different product than Hilton Surpass.
  • Holding a Supplementary Card (authorized user) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a new acount bonus if you open the same card type in your own name.
  • As of mid-February 2016, Amex appears to be adding the same restriction to its business card products.
  • If you receive a targeted offer, online or through the USPS, for a card which you have previously held you may, or may not, actually receive the bonus. Be certain to save a copy of the offer, and to read and save every screen which appears during the application process.
  • Upgrade offers are different from new account offers. You may be offered a bonus to upgrade (for example) a Gold Card to a Platinum Card, and you may be eligible for that bonus even if you previously held a Platinum card. It is still essential to read and save the terms of the offer.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
  • This language appeared in the Spring of 2013, a year before the once-in-a lifetime policy was announced. The key term is "may", which gives American Express discretion to award or withhold the bonus.
  • To reduce the risk that the automated system will deny a new account bonus, RIGHT click the application link and open the application in a Private or Incognito browser window. American Express will still know that you are a current cardholder, but the system will not flag your application.

Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached.
  • In practice it is not possible to know when American Express's system will credit a bonus to your rewards account. It may happen immediately after you meet the target spend, or it may happen when the next statement (or the following statement) is generated, or it may take the full eight weeks.
Print Wikipost

Once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy now applies to both personal & BUSINESS cards [USA].

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 1:27 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Data point on targeted offers: having had the business premier gold before (albeit 3+ years ago), I received a targeted offer of getting 50k points after $5k spend in 3m, and another 25k points after another $5k spend in 3m. $10k spent and paid in 2 weeks, 75k+ points posted before statement closed.
Old May 19, 2016, 2:18 pm

Hi -
I received a targeted offer for the Business Platinum when i logged into the website (short application- no mention of once in a lifetime policy). But, I currently have the same card opened a year ago which I plan to cancel. Will I get the bonus again?

Thanks.
Old May 21, 2016, 12:52 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Datapoint:

Wife applied for the no-fee Hilton card in Nov 2010, received the bonus points sometime in January of 2011. In March of 2013 converted to Hilton Surpass (50K bonus points). Surpass is still open. She re-applied and got approved for the no-fee 75K using a public link (Incognito) in late March. $1k spend was performed on May 10th. 75K bonus points were credited to her Hilton account today May 20th.

Nov 2010 to March 2016 is 5-1/2 years. I am thinking the Surpass conversion had something to do with it, but then again maybe AMEX is relaxing their 7-year/ once-in-a-lifetime rule.
Old May 21, 2016, 4:56 pm

Targeted Amex Business Platinum

Originally Posted by pfdpfd
Hi -
I received a targeted offer for the Business Platinum when i logged into the website (short application- no mention of once in a lifetime policy). But, I currently have the same card opened a year ago which I plan to cancel. Will I get the bonus again?

Thanks.
Does anyone has a similar datapoint?
Old May 29, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
I heard if an upgrade offer was offered and targeted to you you should get it
Old May 30, 2016, 9:27 am

So if I have the Gold Business card, can I still apply for the personal Gold?
Old May 30, 2016, 9:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pkoo
So if I have the Gold Business card, can I still apply for the personal Gold?
Yup
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Received targeted Business Gold card in mail for 75k MR for 5k in 3 months.

Have had this card twice; once for each business that i have; was targeted for both of them within the last 3 years. Both are now closed.

This time it came to my personal address; likely due to having the personal PRG card, among others.

Worth a shot so applied and approved for today. I used one of my business again with its tax id. (vs. making personal with my ss)

Ill run the 5k in a month or so and report back.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:45 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mia
No. You should be eligible for the bonus if you have not previously held the Business version. However, this type of bonus posts off-cycle. I would not wait for the next statement, ask on Tuesday.
Thank you so much! I had misremembered the spend requirement. It's $5k on the business card, not $3k. Due to your advice I had plenty of time to accrue the remaining $2k. The bonus did indeed post when I surpassed the spending requirement rather than waiting until the statement date.

Now I have to figure out what to do with SPG points before the merger. I'm sure the advice here on FT will be good.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
I received an RSVP code from Amex by e-mail to apply for the Platinum. The terms had no language on once in a lifetime bonus. I had the same card before. I applied and was approved. Today I chatted with Amex and the rep told me that I would not be eligible for the offer if I had the card before. Any experience with those targeted offers without the once in a lifetime bonus language and actually getting the bonus?
bumping to see if targeted personal plat invites (without once in a lifetime clause) indeed result in mileage posted...
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:04 pm

I closed dh's business gold card last month (1year old) and received a targeted offer via email today. 75k points for 5k spend. Applied and he had to call for approval.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 8:02 am

If you have the delta gold card and cancel it, can you get the delta platinum card and get the 60k miles bonus? or is that bonus all in the same delta amex family and you can only get it once?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ddevito351
If you have the delta gold card and cancel it, can you get the delta platinum card and get the 60k miles bonus?
Yes (assuming there is a 60k offer for Platinum).
Old Jun 28, 2016, 9:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by azepine00
bumping to see if targeted personal plat invites (without once in a lifetime clause) indeed result in mileage posted...
Yes for biz gold. Haven't gotten a targeted plat offer yet, but I think it should override the once a lifetime rule.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by diseased
I closed dh's business gold card last month (1year old) and received a targeted offer via email today. 75k points for 5k spend. Applied and he had to call for approval.
Spend was met the 28th and points posted today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.