Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy now applies to both personal & BUSINESS cards [USA].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For earlier discussion of the restriction's application to personal cards, see Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA].

It is essential to read the terms of the specific offer, but in general:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  • You can only earn one new account bonus for each card issued by American Express in the USA. We do not know precisely how far back American Express looks to see if you have previously held the same card, but there is anecdotal evidence that the Customer Service database looks back only seven years. This means that if you cancelled a card in 2007 or earlier, and have not held it since, you will probably qualify for a new account bonus in 2015.
  • Holding a related card does not disqualify earning a new account bonus. Examples: Green, Gold, and Platinum are each separate products. Delta Gold, Platinum and Reserve are each separate products. The Hilton credit card is a different product than Hilton Surpass.
  • Holding a Supplementary Card (authorized user) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a new acount bonus if you open the same card type in your own name.
  • As of mid-February 2016, Amex appears to be adding the same restriction to its business card products.
  • If you receive a targeted offer, online or through the USPS, for a card which you have previously held you may, or may not, actually receive the bonus. Be certain to save a copy of the offer, and to read and save every screen which appears during the application process.
  • Upgrade offers are different from new account offers. You may be offered a bonus to upgrade (for example) a Gold Card to a Platinum Card, and you may be eligible for that bonus even if you previously held a Platinum card. It is still essential to read and save the terms of the offer.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
  • This language appeared in the Spring of 2013, a year before the once-in-a lifetime policy was announced. The key term is "may", which gives American Express discretion to award or withhold the bonus.
  • To reduce the risk that the automated system will deny a new account bonus, RIGHT click the application link and open the application in a Private or Incognito browser window. American Express will still know that you are a current cardholder, but the system will not flag your application.

Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached.
  • In practice it is not possible to know when American Express's system will credit a bonus to your rewards account. It may happen immediately after you meet the target spend, or it may happen when the next statement (or the following statement) is generated, or it may take the full eight weeks.
Print Wikipost

Once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy now applies to both personal & BUSINESS cards [USA].

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by frudd38
Thank you! Worth a shot, but I'm guessing Amex could still override it regardless what the application says.
Did you apply? Did you see any language that indicated otherwise when you went through?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:35 am

I don't think this information has been posted very publically up to this point, but it looks like it wouldn't really matter if bloggers picked it up now anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll delete this post.

If you apply for two cards in the same day, Amex's system doesn't pick up on the fact that you already have one. For example, if you get two SPG business cards in the same day (say, one with an SSN and one with an EIN), you can get the bonus on both. Hopefully this helps somebody close this party out with a bang.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:39 am

Does anyone know Amex's policy on re-opening closed cards within a few days? I closed one a few days ago, specifically to reset my 12-month timer, and I really wasn't sure if I wanted to close it or not. (I obviously hadn't been spending enough time on FT, and hadn't seen this discussion). With this development, I've got no reason for the card to be closed, and would rather it be open again. Anyone have a clue if they do that?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Did you apply? Did you see any language that indicated otherwise when you went through?
I applied and it had the language until the end. Pending because I had 4 credit cards, closed one last night and the agent resubmitted it for review.. fingers crossed.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bobert24
Does anyone know Amex's policy on re-opening closed cards within a few days? I closed one a few days ago, specifically to reset my 12-month timer, and I really wasn't sure if I wanted to close it or not. (I obviously hadn't been spending enough time on FT, and hadn't seen this discussion). With this development, I've got no reason for the card to be closed, and would rather it be open again. Anyone have a clue if they do that?

I have done it more than once . Within 30 days without a hard pull . Tell them you thought it over , and you made a mistake
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: aa,starwood,hilton,united
I have a SPG Amex with my husband as an authorized user. His he able to apply for the 35000 point bonus as a primary card holder and get the points?

Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kathyte
I have a SPG Amex with my husband as an authorized user. His he able to apply for the 35000 point bonus as a primary card holder and get the points?

Thanks
Yes
Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:59 am
jk2

Originally Posted by mia
Wait! I can still display the 25,000 point Business card offer with 12 month language following these steps:

1. Click: https://www262.americanexpress.com/a...pg/100/spg-241
  2. Look: The URL of the loaded page must end with "241". If it has advanced to a higher number you will not see the 12-month language.
  3. Click: [Learn more]
  4. Look: The URL of the loaded page must end with "241".
  5. Click: [Apply]
  6. Check: The terms of the offer. No guarantee this will work.
offer expired.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:03 am
jk2

I think I read about it somewhere but don't remember anyway.

I was browsing Amex offers on my personal cards and found an offer for opening a business gold amex for 75K MR points in 3 months. Reading T&C and I don't see any restrictions at all - either 12 months or one in lifetime. Did anybody have the same offer? I am afraid to pull a trigger (I closed mine 2 months ago), but if there is no restrictions for having this card in the past, I probably will pull a trigger (offer expires March 31).
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There are many targeted offers for various cards without prior account exclusions. It appears this is American Express' 2016 marketing strategy.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:16 am

if have another business?

I got Business card under another legit business name over a year ago. I have started another business and wondered if with a new business I could get the sign up bonus. Anyone tried this?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kst78
I got Business card under another legit business name over a year ago. I have started another business and wondered if with a new business I could get the sign up bonus. Anyone tried this?
If using your SSN as the owner, then no.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kst78
I got Business card under another legit business name over a year ago. I have started another business and wondered if with a new business I could get the sign up bonus.
Originally Posted by TMM1982
If using your SSN as the owner, then no.
American Express regards the individual as the applicant, not the business. (You must provide your Social Security number on the application, even if you also provide a EIN.) Therefore, if you have had the same card before you will be able to open it again, but not to receive a bonus unless you you receive a targeted offer without the exclusion.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
American Express regards the individual as the applicant, not the business. (You must provide your Social Security number on the application, even if you also provide a EIN.) Therefore, if you have had the same card before you will be able to open it again, but not to receive a bonus unless you you receive a targeted offer without the exclusion.
Yes this is what I meant. I also meant that if OP had a partner in business, partner could open up business card using EIN of company.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Not for Bus Gold rewards card. Applied last week, no ss asked in app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.