Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy now applies to both personal & BUSINESS cards [USA].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For earlier discussion of the restriction's application to personal cards, see Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA].

It is essential to read the terms of the specific offer, but in general:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  • You can only earn one new account bonus for each card issued by American Express in the USA. We do not know precisely how far back American Express looks to see if you have previously held the same card, but there is anecdotal evidence that the Customer Service database looks back only seven years. This means that if you cancelled a card in 2007 or earlier, and have not held it since, you will probably qualify for a new account bonus in 2015.
  • Holding a related card does not disqualify earning a new account bonus. Examples: Green, Gold, and Platinum are each separate products. Delta Gold, Platinum and Reserve are each separate products. The Hilton credit card is a different product than Hilton Surpass.
  • Holding a Supplementary Card (authorized user) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a new acount bonus if you open the same card type in your own name.
  • As of mid-February 2016, Amex appears to be adding the same restriction to its business card products.
  • If you receive a targeted offer, online or through the USPS, for a card which you have previously held you may, or may not, actually receive the bonus. Be certain to save a copy of the offer, and to read and save every screen which appears during the application process.
  • Upgrade offers are different from new account offers. You may be offered a bonus to upgrade (for example) a Gold Card to a Platinum Card, and you may be eligible for that bonus even if you previously held a Platinum card. It is still essential to read and save the terms of the offer.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
  • This language appeared in the Spring of 2013, a year before the once-in-a lifetime policy was announced. The key term is "may", which gives American Express discretion to award or withhold the bonus.
  • To reduce the risk that the automated system will deny a new account bonus, RIGHT click the application link and open the application in a Private or Incognito browser window. American Express will still know that you are a current cardholder, but the system will not flag your application.

Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached.
  • In practice it is not possible to know when American Express's system will credit a bonus to your rewards account. It may happen immediately after you meet the target spend, or it may happen when the next statement (or the following statement) is generated, or it may take the full eight weeks.
Print Wikipost

Once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy now applies to both personal & BUSINESS cards [USA].

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2023, 12:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pampa
Interesting. I'm a self published author but make less than a 100 a year. Would they ask for how much the business make and how do I respond to that?
The application form does ask for both your personal and business income. The minimum amount that the form will accept is $1,000, and I would use that. They are not much interested in the details of your business, the card is issued to the individual, not to the company.
SPN Lifer, Dr Jabadski and pampa like this.
Old May 19, 2023, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
AmEx card subject to 1 “lifetime” SUB, AmEx’s definition of lifetime possibly sometimes being 7 years. Prior account with SUB March 2014 - July 2014. Prior account with SUB denied due to previous account January 2018 - October 2018. (It’s a personal card and I’m still undecided if it should be one of my 5/24.) If “lifetime” for this me and this card is 7 years, would it be 7 years from July 2014 or 7 years from October 2018? Thank you.
Old May 20, 2023, 6:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Seven years measured from when the most recent account was closed. It makes no difference whether you received a bonus for that account.
sdsearch and Dr Jabadski like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 3:29 am

Want to ask: I had Business Platinum a few years ago but it's since been closed. I did get a SUB for it.

Would I qualify for a SUB if I get a Personal Platinum now? Their "Once Per Lifetime Per Product" restriction really depends on how they view products!
Old Jul 8, 2023, 5:40 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by wlai
... had Business Platinum a few years ago ... did get a SUB ... Would I qualify for a SUB if I get a Personal Platinum now? ... really depends on how they view products!
Yes, it’s very well documented with many datapoints that biz and personal are “different” products in AmEx’s eyes. Same for personal and Schwab (personal) and Morgan Stanley (personal) plats, you can get a SUB for each. (If your goal is lounge access at lowest cost, could apply for one of them, apply for the next one at 12-13 months, close the first upon approval for the second, wash, rinse, repeat.)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Yes, it’s very well documented with many datapoints that biz and personal are “different” products in AmEx’s eyes. Same for personal and Schwab (personal) and Morgan Stanley (personal) plats, you can get a SUB for each. (If your goal is lounge access at lowest cost, could apply for one of them, apply for the next one at 12-13 months, close the first upon approval for the second, wash, rinse, repeat.)
Thanks. Just need to find a nice SUP then. How about Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant vs Plain Platinum? Are they considered distinct products?
Old Jul 8, 2023, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by wlai
... How about Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant vs Plain Platinum? Are they considered distinct products?
If by “Plain Platinum” you mean “Platinum Card® from American Express”, usually called “plat” or “Plat” or “Platinum” here, then yes, completely different. I’m not a Marriott aficionado and not at all familiar with the details, be aware that there are restrictions for Marriott cards (and SUBS) based on prior AmEx Marriott cards and prior Chase Marriott cards.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.