Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of: Amex (USA) Sync Offers 2012 - 2015

Click HERE to be notified when this thread is updated.
Print Wikipost

Amex (USA) Sync Offers 2016-2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
Sorry if I"m derailing the thread a bit - this is all new to me. When you say "drain the load," what does that mean, exactly? Also, I assume the merchant clawing back the card loads means basically resetting the card balance to 0?

I'm also a bit worried about this because Amex has become stricter about "gaming" and gift card purchases recently. I've only ever bought one gift card using my Amex in four years of having it, so I do have a good track record, but I don't want that to change.
OT

1) Drain the load, meaning USING the GC as quickly as possible to ensure the card is not being hacked or the value being clawed back. Google Neiman Marcus eGift Card fiasco you would find a lot more info and most most importantly, learn the PERIL on selling a gift card to the consolidator, since this is your intention but obviously know nothing about the risks entailed. Yes, a merchant can zero out your e-Gift Card without any notice. Just a few posts above yours is a real life example on what could happen when the e-Gift Card sold is clawed back by the merchant. The consolidator who bought your re-selling e-Gift Card would send you to collection agency.

2) You have not had a good understanding on AMEX policy regarding buying gift card.
As long as the AMEX Offer T&Cs DONT have the prohibition to buy gift cards, it is PERFECTLY FINE to guy a gift card to fulfill the offer requirement.
So far IIRC, NONE of AMEX offer prohibits buying a regular Gift Card from the merchant to meet the offer requirement. The only ineligible gift card purchase is either online purchase or the "Corporate" gift card (i.e. a bulk purchase by the corporation of which you are not.) All these are quite clearly specified in the offer terms. All you need to do is to read the terms.

As for your "good trzck record", that has NOTHING to do with what the thread is all about, especially buying gift card is NOT prohibit by ANY AMEX terms, not a reason to close your accounts if that is what you are afraid of. It may not count as to meet spend requirement to earn a sign up bonus, but in many cases it still earn the regular spend points. It absolutely is not a reason to sour the relationship you have with AMEX.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:00 pm

I assume if the offer is added online that it applies to authorized user cards too so it doesn't matter which card on the account (same card account not same online account) fulfills the offer. However, the fine print only says enrolled card and you actually add the primary card online when accepting the offer. When an AU satisfies the offer an email is not sent like it does for the primary card so that makes me nervous.

Am I correct that either the primary card or the AUs can fulfill the offer?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:04 pm

no, you are mistaken. AUs have their own login and thus their own set of AMEX Offers.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
no, you are mistaken. AUs have their own login and thus their own set of AMEX Offers.
I am glad I asked. I have only screwed myself out of 1,000 points The bonus points of the offer do go back to the primary card's MR account just like the daily spend, correct, even if the AU has a MR account due to another card.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:31 pm

AU cards earn all MR points into the primary cardholder’s MR balance.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:26 pm

Is anyone seeing the same issue as I'm seeing? Both my Amex cards no longer have any offers on them. Offers previously added were shown as added but usually there's a whole bunch of others in the "available" section that I have not added.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by miuk
... no longer have any offers ...
Not seeing it now, but have seen it in the past. Usually resolved overnight.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by miuk
... no longer have any offers ...
Not seeing it now, but have seen it in the past. Usually resolved overnight.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Amex offer: 5x MR at Sam's Club.

I have an offer on my Everyday card for 5x MR at Sam's Club through the end of 2017. What's great is that Sam's Club sells Southwest gift cards, so here's a chance for non-Platinum members to get 5x on flights. They also have some restaurant gift cards at 20% off.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:17 am

Smile

Originally Posted by Gig103
I have an offer on my Everyday card for 5x MR at Sam's Club through the end of 2017. What's great is that Sam's Club sells Southwest gift cards, so here's a chance for non-Platinum members to get 5x on flights. They also have some restaurant gift cards at 20% off.
I had this offer on my PGR and also my husband's Everyday card. We bought a few packs of gift cards we give to our paper carrier, mail carrier, the FedEx and UPS delivery guys, etc. Everybody wins!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Replying to myself to mention - Sam's Club gift cards are also good at Walmart. I will do a test to see if I get the 5x (they might code reloads as cash) but if so that's 5x off your purchases next year too.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Replying to myself to mention - Sam's Club gift cards are also good at Walmart. I will do a test to see if I get the 5x...
Buying a Sams gift card does get 5x. I bought one last week and I've been using it to buy gas at Sam's (since gas is listed as an exclusion to the 5x, and trust they can tell the difference since gas at Sam's has a different merchant code).
Gig103 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
It's back!

Hilton/Curio spend $300 through 1/31 for $60 credit.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re red door spa bonus certificates (still being offered) they also had one day where they gave additional $15
many restaurants do bonus certificates, include clydes, which i have amex offer for, works out to pay $50 get $120

i have seen one amex offer say purchase of gift cards must include other items in addition to gift cards
many / most offers exclude online electronic gift cards presumably for reasons mentioned above

on an SPG statement it said upcoming offers may offer bonus SPG points, anyone gotten one yet?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Amex Platinum Schwab $100 Statement Credit

Received an offer for a $100 statement credit after using my platinum Schwan card to make a purchase. I know these seem to be targeted to those with annual fees about to post (including mine). Any data points on how quickly the $100 bonus credited after making a purchase? TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.