Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex no longer backdating new accounts to credit bureaus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex no longer backdating new accounts to credit bureaus?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Called Amex to ask about backdating my new PRG and they said no exceptions. No backdating on any card Mar 22 or forward.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:53 pm

If I was a betting Man (and I am) I'd bet they are doing this to make churning less attractive. Amex helped with scores for customers who churned, this removes that from the equation.

You actually will need to keep accounts open for long term AAoA
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by MrMosby
If I was a betting Man (and I am) I'd bet they are doing this to make churning less attractive. Amex helped with scores for customers who churned, this removes that from the equation.

You actually will need to keep accounts open for long term AAoA
Heavy churners usually have excellent credit. And for them AAoA is less (borderline not) an issue.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:06 am

20 points or so is enough to tilt the scale on automatic approval sometimes though.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:31 am

20 points or so is enough to tilt the scale on automatic approval sometimes though.
Heavy churners, who have been doing it for years, can easily have high FICO scores. If someone opens and closes 10 cards a year every year for at least ten years, that's about 100 accounts reporting with an AAoA (for those cards) of over 5 years.

That's strong.

If there is also a core portfolio of let's say 20 cards with an AAoA that's even higher, the overall AAoA should easily be high enough to maintain FICO scores over 800 provided that there are no negatives, and a low utilization rate.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: Braniff, TWA, Eastern, Midwest, AA Exec, Club Carlson Gold
This is unfortunate, but not terribly so. AMEX has my oldest accounts, and I was about to add another two or so since my AAoA is now down to about seven years. That's still pretty good, actually.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:22 am

like others have said, it won't make you drop because of AAoA if you have thick enough file. Inquiries might, but not AAoA.

besides, amex has taken care of churning with the 1 per lifetime rule.

AAoA for churning is simply not behind this, in any way.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:33 pm

Amex account age question

Back in 1999 I opened a Gold Amex Card. It is not exactly a credit card because once a month the outstanding balance is automatically paid out of a brokerage account that it is linked to. I don't believe there is any option to carry a balance. I suppose it is a hybrid between a credit card and a debit card. This card has never been used and it has never appeared on my credit report. In 2013, I opened an Amex Blue Cash Preferred Card. The physical card and my credit report both show that the Blue Cash account has been open since 1999.

I am planning to close the Amex Gold card. It is one less account to have to worry about being hacked or otherwise compromised. If I do that, will my Blue Cash account continue to be reported as being open since 1999 or will the opening date revert back to 2013? Also, would any future accounts I open with Amex have an open date of 1999 or would it be something different?

I do plan to ask Amex about this but I would be curious to know if anyone out there on FT knows the answer. I have come to learn that sometimes there are other FT members who understand how a company works better then some of the company's own front line customer service reps...
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
If u close it the blue cash will still show 1999. But any new accts after that will show the real date. Amex stopped backdating a few months ago.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA, UAL, IHG, Marriott
Datapoint: Had husband apply for PRG (for himself) over the weekend & he had instant approval. Card arrived and had Member Since date of 2009. He had a basic amex card back in the late 90's, which he cancelled after a couple years since many places didn't accept it back then. He had no idea about the backdating & I thought the practice had been discontinued, but for some reason or another they backdated his. Mistake, possibly, but maybe the practice isn't completely dead.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by shelliebelly
Datapoint: Had husband apply for PRG (for himself) over the weekend & he had instant approval. Card arrived and had Member Since date of 2009. He had a basic amex card back in the late 90's, which he cancelled after a couple years since many places didn't accept it back then. He had no idea about the backdating & I thought the practice had been discontinued, but for some reason or another they backdated his. Mistake, possibly, but maybe the practice isn't completely dead.
This thread is about cards now reporting to bureaus with the year that the card was opened, instead of the year of the member since date.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP/Current Titanium
Account open date for new Amex card no longer being reported same as oldest card?

In the past Amex would report the opening date of a new card account as being the year of your oldest open card account. Of course, this was great and could have a significant impact on the Age of Credit factor used in calculating your Credit Score. I recently opened an Everyday card (5/2015) primarily for this reason (to offset the impact of other recent new cards opened). Amex is reporting the actual date opened to the credit bureaus. Two calls to the department handling say they discontinued using the oldest account date sometime earlier this year. Excuse this entry if it's old news, but is this correct?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:44 pm

Still backdates to 08 for cards open in feb and aug 2015.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are they also changing how they do the "cardmember since" date?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GueroDeTejas
... is this correct?
Yes. American Express (USA) ended this practice in March or April (scroll back to post #1). They should still show the older Member Since year on the new cards, but the reported date is accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.